Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    That is a honking big slab o' lead in that pot. I have something that size and the only reason I can pick it up is that it is just 57# of recovered wave solder.

Er, you're only "cooking" lead on that stove, right?
    Last edited by kevin c; 08-22-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post

Er, you're only "cooking" lead on that stove, right?
    Yes,I mix alloys an make small ingots for an RCBS pot that I cast with. The oven can be used for baking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    i'm getting a new long range precision rifle soon.it's gonna be a 6.5 creedmore. plan to try my luck with casts and 3-4 coats of hi tek. pretty sure iM gonna be able to extract some pretty decent accuracy out of my cast. i will feed it with jacketed peas at first to be able of establish a comparison chart....now i know that my handgun boolits are as accurate as jacketed,i don't see why a boolit pushed a little faster (lol) wouldn't provide the same results .

This will be very interesting. I shoot fast 30 cals long range but I never thought cast for those. 308 subsonic works great with cast though, I even have .311 Hi-Tek coated bullets now but haven't tried them yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I'd go insane if i didn't get a shot away at least a few times a month.

Not that anyone would notice me going insane, most think i'm already there.
    Being an Australian you must realise you left yourself wide open with this post Tazza, haha. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Stephen - i do indeed, Just depends on how many others picked up on it too

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    smlekid
    That's impressive. Do you know what is coating thickness in the tested cast?
    I was wondering, after you get a thin well bonded first coat, can you apply two extra coats, which can be thicker. (Of course bake each extra ones first before next application)
    I am thinking, that by getting about 2-3.5 thou coating over that soft Lead, alloy may (or may not) survive with that extra coating thickness, and stop the Leading at the end of Barrel.
    The only way to see if there is any benefit is to try it? If it works, then great. If not, not much is lost.
    HI-TEK I would guess around .002" that colour is either Texas tea or black gold I swapped some of my candy apple red for it with another caster locally
    I don't get leading with my normal alloy in the 45 (50/50 WW PB)
    I am sizing to .451" in a .449" barrel I will try an extra coat may be a while I wont need these boolits till next year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Being an Australian you must realise you left yourself wide open with this post Tazza, haha. Regards Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Stephen - i do indeed, Just depends on how many others picked up on it too
    I take it neither of you have spent much time around us "rednecks" (country boys) here in the USA? I don't think you'd feel out of place, we ain't like city folk and never want to be!
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    I take it neither of you have spent much time around us "rednecks" (country boys) here in the USA? I don't think you'd feel out of place, we ain't like city folk and never want to be!
    Do redneck like folk that we shoot with count? Just ask the media over here, we are all irresponsible firearm owners that plan on killing everyone.

Never become a boring city person, much more fun being a "redneck"

Boolit Buddy
    I got some bad leading in my shadow 2 when I was shooting undersized casts.

I ordered the lewis lead remover. It took ages to arrive and in the meantime I had started shooting 357's out of it. Went to clean it and it only took 1 pass with a pull through bore snake to clean it up.

Those 357 122 flat points did the trick on the weekend. Beat a couple of production GM's and got myself a presidents medal.

How cruel... Poor old grem is flat out making best ever sizing machines, and probably has not got time to enjoy what he likes....
    Almost factual , I am currently making piles of assorted cut steel for the next round of sizers. BUT I also have 300 rounds loaded for a trip to the range on sat morning.

Only making five AS/2's this time around.. thats all the orders I got , I need to make them last a shorter span of time. Lifetime is killing sales!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Almost factual , I am currently making piles of assorted cut steel for the next round of sizers. BUT I also have 300 rounds loaded for a trip to the range on sat morning.

Only making five AS/2's this time around.. thats all the orders I got , I need to make them last a shorter span of time. Lifetime is killing sales!
    Grem,
    Just a thought for what it is worth, you have a great manual sizer, but I am wondering if you may benefit by making two auto type sizers, one for small to medium sized casters, and another that is specifically for high speed production for commercial casters? I am sure that you may get a lot more interest if you can produce such units.
    Also, can I make a suggestion to open an area as a vendor and sponsor on this site, and advertise what you can produce. You never know, you may have to start a large factory.

Banned
    grem, if you didn't live under the world you'd probably sell more
    Last edited by Grmps; 08-23-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    grem, if you didn't live under the world you'd probably sell more

Grmps,
    As far as we can tell, we are standing upright here, so we must be on top of the world....

Boolit Master
    Me likes horizontal.

Can it be my mystery alloy that makes green look more overbaked than my other colours? Same bake and coating mix. 11 mins @ 195°C. Very good bonding. Green starts turning bronze at eight minutes,it will not pass wipe test at that point.

No big deal,just wondering.

Dang,I get an error message,can'post a pic:

Attachment 225958.

Nah,made it even smaller but no dice now.
    Last edited by Petander; 08-23-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Me likes horizontal.

Can it be my mystery alloy that makes green look more overbaked than my other colours? Same bake and coating mix. 11 mins @ 195°C. Very good bonding. Green starts turning bronze at eight minutes,it will not pass wipe test at that point.

No big deal,just wondering.

Dang,I get an error message,can'post a pic:

Attachment 225958.

Nah,made it even smaller but no dice now.

Petander,
    without more information, my best guess is that the projectile coatings are being subjected to radiant heat. (Too close to heating element)
    This in effect, can darken coatings quicker as heat is trying to get through coating into the Lead. Surfaces become super heated well above what you may think.
    As I said, at this stage, it is just a guess. Which Green are you having this problem with?

Petander,
    without more information, my best guess is that the projectile coatings are being subjected to radiant heat. (Too close to heating element)
    This in effect, can darken coatings quicker as heat is trying to get through coating into the Lead. Surfaces become super heated well above what you may think.
    As I said, at this stage, it is just a guess. Which Green are you having this problem with?
    right on!.i experienced this phenom with zombie green. it doesn't take much to turn this color into black. even with a shield covering the elements, it gets darkened easily. my solution is i put the tray the highest possible away from the elements,reducing the radiant effect on the boolits.

Top of the world

Quote:Grmps,
    As far as we can tell, we are standing upright here, so we must be on top of the world...

1963 Thule Greenland working on F102 airframe problems in the extreme cold at 70,000 feet. Land Air Inc. The Scientists there told us that we weighed more up there because we were close to the spinning axis of the earth. And our brain function was slower as in when you wrote your wife a letter you would leave out a lot of words. Learned quickly to reread and fill in what you left out. That was phenominal they said. Spending a year if tour duty was very difficult for our servicemen. We stayed three months and that was more than enough.,
    And yes everyone seemed to stand straight up there too.
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 08-23-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: additional quote

i'm getting a new long range precision rifle soon.it's gonna be a 6.5 creedmore. plan to try my luck with casts and 3-4 coats of hi tek. pretty sure iM gonna be able to extract some pretty decent accuracy out of my cast. i will feed it with jacketed peas at first to be able of establish a comparison chart....now i know that my handgun boolits are as accurate as jacketed,i don't see why a boolit pushed a little faster (lol) wouldn't provide the same results .

Have you bought the mold or molds you are going to be using? I've got a chance at getting a new Howa HCR in 6.5 for about $350 under MSRP. I'm trying to see if I can spend the cash. And I would also like to shoot Hi Tek cast in it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    right on!.i experienced this phenom with zombie green. it doesn't take much to turn this color into black. even with a shield covering the elements, it gets darkened easily. my solution is i put the tray the highest possible away from the elements,reducing the radiant effect on the boolits.
    Yep,looks right. My green says Zombie but I recall Trevor said it is Kryptonite green. After seein my bullet pics. Gold,Purple and Bronze behave differently,they can take more overbaking before turning dark.

It's fine,I may look at my oven / temp. But all is good,my alloy finally works after I discovered HCL wash and I'm a happy camper.

But no pics for now,I wonder why I can't upload any?
    Last edited by Petander; 08-23-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

But no pics for now,I wonder why I can't upload any?
    there's a limit in the number of pics you're allowed to post a simple account gets you . i ''bought''' a membership,and it increase the number of pics you are allowed to post...

Page 525 of 742 FirstFirst ... 25425475515516517518519520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534535575625 ... LastLast