Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    guys...i have to ask you what is the best lead remover, OR a good substitute. i have very light leading in my glocks's grooves due to the fact that i'm shooting .356 diameter in them ( i normally feed'em with .357 ) from time to time. i don't care at all about some leading after 6-700 boolits ,it's only in the grooves at the end of the barrel, but i'd like to get a product that works kind of instantly,that i don't need to pull the brush out then swinging it in for minutes.

any advices?
    Aside from the mechanical Lewis remover I have had really great luck with this foaming remover. Left overnight the lead will turn mushy gray on the edges and help it lift out of the bore, may have to repeat on heavy leading but it sure makes it simple and easy, it will also do the same for wadding from shotgun bores. This is the only one I have used, others may work as well or better? But this I know has worked better then I expected. https://www.amazon.com/Gunslick-9209.../dp/B000U3Z5TI

Instructions say you can not use it on a gas operated semi, you can, you just have to take the gun apart first otherwise the foam will work into the gas system and gum it up if left there. Make sure the barrel will set level so the foam won't run out one end and lay down a barrier to protect your bench, I use a trash bag with some newspaper on top, when done I can roll up the plastic & paper and drop it in the trash can.

I bought an old Nagaut M44 that was loaded with fouling and some pitting, without fear I could do more damage I put this foam to work on it. It took many, many repeated over night soakings, brushing and replying but the cleanup in the end was amazing. It got under the copper fouling along the rifling, lifted it so it would brush out, then came out old powder fouling that had been covered and encapsulated by the copper fouling, I'm sold on this stuff. But for the end of the day pistol shooting lead bullets, a quick pull with the Lewis will take out any lead and keep it from building up. Never tried it on a polygonal barrel but I can't see why the Lewis wouldn't as good and maybe even better then with sharp rifling.

Another tip that might help some, I take an Otis pull through kit with CLP to the range, after the last shot while the bore is still warm I'll pull a few soaked patches and leave a coating in the bore letting it work during the trip home, any edge to cleaning I'll take. I also take smaller patches, double it over, put one against the chamber and slowly close the action on the patch to keep crud from running inside and roll up one lightly coated patch and tuck it in the muzzle, keeping the gun bags clean.

Thanks my 2 cents! Let us know what ends up working for you! I'm always looking for something better!
    Be careful what you wish for!

The Lewis Lead Remover at Brownells, https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx

They also have a video they posted on how to use it, see the screen capture below showing where to click on the video on Brownells page. I'm sure you can find more videos on youtube.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bron lewis.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	225722

Rather then clog up this thread with removing lead chat I started a new one, there are a couple good videos, one showing good close up shots of the lead pulled with the Lewis and another video showing the old Chore Boy trick I used before getting the Lewis, here ya go --> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...07#post4437107

mixed some 30% HP and vinegar ,so next time i'm shooting the .356 will try this method. i might also buy some of the black hope 9....and i forgot i had a bottle of outers nitro bore cleaner...not that i'm waiting for a miracle from it
    , but i'm lazy,i'm trying to take the easiest path possible ha!

Boolit Master
    You beat me to it Trevor, i was about to say good 'ol wood chop. We did this for steel challenge about 5 years ago for our xmas shoot. Awesome fun.

Those are some mean looking hollow points right there

Dont ask me how to remove lead, cause I never get any lead fouling. Correctly coated cast and sized, seen no lead in barrel for over 5 years.

Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I see people writing about how coating with Hi-Tek takes a long time.

I just double coated a batch of bullets and made these at the same time. Took about an hour - I also had a beer and a cigar and a good time.

Attachment 225888

Some people spend that time for a beer and a cigar only.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Dont ask me how to remove lead, cause I never get any lead fouling. Correctly coated cast and sized, seen no lead in barrel for over 5 years.

You have to actually shoot the gun to get lead in it

Similar to one of my posts that stated casting a 100 or so 126 grain .356 boolits plus three coats of HiTek Gold from 6pm to 9pm / no beer or cigar.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Sometimes I see people writing about how coating with Hi-Tek takes a long time.

I just double coated a batch of bullets and made these at the same time. Took about an hour - I also had a beer and a cigar and a good time.

Attachment 225888

Some people spend that time for a beer and a cigar only.
    Sounds like a good time spent, I really miss my cigars, I smoked cigs too, but I took up vaping six years ago and it's worked, I can vape guilty free and even enjoy it! But no more cigars or smoking after going through a round with throat cancer. Fortunately it was on a vocal cord that caused a raspy voice and prompted me to see my doc who caught early, doc said if it had been elsewhere in my throat it was likely it wouldn't have been noticed until much bigger, higher risk of killing it. They were able to kill it with radiation, wasn't fun, burned the living hell out of the inside and outside of my throat but far better then the alternative. Four years behind me on that, one more to go then they tell me I'll be fully clear of risk of it returning, IF I don't smoke again!

Don't mean to be a downer, just makes me cringe when I see people smoke, that was me and I said it would never happen to me... I rather you resent me then not say anything in hopes that I might help just one person. Now I'm out of here before it gets any more uncomfortable, no need to reply, back to coating boolits.

Boolit Master
    Smoking is stupid but it can be fun... cigar is a bit different, I only smoke in summer these days. The same with beer. Cold,sober winters which I like a lot as well.

I've had long breaks on both for a long time, last time three years no cigar and I got a heart attack. So I thought well, I better smoke an occasional cigar while I'm still alive.

No downer intended.

EDIT: I really like brass molds these days, very easy to keep them in the good temp range with my not-very-hot , tin-rich alloy.
    Last edited by Petander; 08-21-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    I'd go insane if i didn't get a shot away at least a few times a month.

Not that anyone would notice me going insane, most think i'm already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I'd go insane if i didn't get a shot away at least a few times a month.

Not that anyone would notice me going insane, most think i'm already there.
    LoL, your not alone in that club my friend. I've always had one foot in the "you've never grown up" club to now the other foot in the "your loosing it" club, and that's right from the wife's mouth. I remind her how I told her the day we married her life would never get boring with me around. Be careful what you wish for dear!

(ETA: Note my avatar and sig line?)

Boolit Master
    hahaha i like that one.

When i tell my wife she is weird, she make sure to inform me that i knew what i was in for.... Sadly this is true, and i met her parents, so it's my own fault. Yet i make sure to add my own weirdness to the mix, she rolls her eyes and walks off.

I like the avatar, so very true.

Beer was not my D.O.C. (drink of choice or drug of choice take your pick) back forty years ago when I quit. But the black label Jack Daniels was. Since then I have realized that the old saying "you can't trust a man that doesn't drink" has actually been the direct opposite in my life. Now, stopping smoking was a different story. It took fifteen more years. It was cigarettes in the end. But it was a pipe and cigars that got me started. All these years I have never regretted quitting either one.

I'm headed back to the range with the 45-70 and some Hi Tek bullets. More load testing with a new powder. I love this coating. It's been almost five years now and I have not regretted using it. You guys that are reading this that are just starting to use it, Hi Tek is well worth the effort. You can have what ever accuracy you want with it. And no lead in your barrels. I want to learn how to shoot out to 600 yards and see how it does. Right now I'm a long way from that. But working on it.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 08-22-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    How cruel... Poor old grem is flat out making best ever sizing machines, and probably has not got time to enjoy what he likes....

i'm getting a new long range precision rifle soon.it's gonna be a 6.5 creedmore. plan to try my luck with casts and 3-4 coats of hi tek. pretty sure iM gonna be able to extract some pretty decent accuracy out of my cast. i will feed it with jacketed peas at first to be able of establish a comparison chart....now i know that my handgun boolits are as accurate as jacketed,i don't see why a boolit pushed a little faster (lol) wouldn't provide the same results .

Boolit Master
    6.5 Gaymore?????
    If it can't be done with a 7.62, it's not worth doing.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    6,5 Gaymore! ��

I handled a nice AR in 6,5 Gaymore last week. Didn't make me think of cast boolits really.

Here's my kitchen,cooking ingredients for big cast boolits. I clean my mystery alloy outside in a cast iron pot,this is the mixroom.

Attachment 225929

Page 524 of 742 FirstFirst ... 24424474514515516517518519520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534574624 ... LastLast