Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings View Post
    I have the Black 1035 (Texas Tea) if you feel the need for the metallics.
    I know I have asked this before but do you still have the liquid version of Gold 1035? Or can you get it?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I know I have asked this before but do you still have the liquid version of Gold 1035? Or can you get it?
    We can make that product.
    The only reason solvent based became less popular is costs associated with freight as a dangerous goods flammable liquid. That made it an expensive product.
    The Gold 1035 powder, is essentially the same product without solvents.
    You need to ask Donnie at Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings if he has stocks of Gold 1035 liquid.. Currently, there is an impending shipment being prepared to go to the US. May be we can send a carton or two of the liquid, if Donnie has none.

Boolit Master
    I want a metallic black but with no gold in it. Silver will be fine. But no gold.
    Joe????
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I want a metallic black but with no gold in it. Silver will be fine. But no gold.
    Joe????

Your wish is my command...... starting ASAP. Silver is out, no can do, but I was thinking more a Pearl Black K-15.
    That will give you a Pearlescent Black finish if I get it right. I might just stumble on a good recipe, who knows????

Boolit Master
    The Black Pearl??
    I feel Like Captain Jack Sparrow
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings View Post
    To those have expressed interest in the new Black K15. Shipment has cleared US Customs and is due to arrive to me on the 12th of Dec.
    It will be added to the website a couple of days before it arrives to me.
    Awesomeness I will be getting some!!
    And some more of the dark blue if you have any left?
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Yes, I have liquid Gold 1035 in stock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I use both MEK and Acetone.
    Mek is used as is for coating.
    In Summer, I use 80mls of Acetone and 20 mls of denatured Alcohol to 20gms of powder. this slows down the flashoff and give extra swirling time to give a better coating.
    I have not tried to do this, but if you swirl to long and the bullets are rough couldn't you add more Acetone and swirl to get the bullets smooth before dumping on the screen?

Boolit Buddy

Who Makes the beggist toaster oven, im looking to get into the Hi-Tech stuff

Boolit Master
    You might want to shop some second hand appliance stores for a full size built in convection oven, I can bake 10 lbs of coated bullets at one time with the one I have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have not tried to do this, but if you swirl to long and the bullets are rough couldn't you add more Acetone and swirl to get the bullets smooth before dumping on the screen?
    Yep. That would work.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

When I think toaster oven I think non convection and you don't want one without a forced air convection system.

How much you want to spend? The usual two tray in the store brands are from $100-$300. For about $300 you can buy a Breville Convection oven at Bed Bath and Beyond. Before Ausglock started building his own he was suggesting this one. It's not just how big it is it is how well the convection fan circulates the air to prevent hot spots in the oven. That is if you have to have consistent color on the bullets. Uneven color, those darker ones that got hotter, will not affect the performance of the bullet. If you have lots of money you can buy a commercial unit from restaurant supply stores online for about $1000-3000 last time I looked. I appears that you could do about 20 lbs + of bullets in these ovens. There have been some who have suggested using the conveyor type convection ovens (think pizza oven). I would think that lbs. per bake session would be unlimited on one of those as long as you had the time. They are about the same price from restaurant supply. The commercial is probably the way to go if you need to bake thousands of bullets at a time. Or build your own from used oven and install a convection fan.

I use a Hamilton Beach oven model 31197. I paid about $100 online. It does a good but not excellent job with the convection. Power is supplied through a PID to help overcome some of the inconsistency in the controls on the oven. Also use an in the oven thermometer. And, at max, will cook 10 lbs. of bullets at one time. That stretches it's capacity. Usually only bake about 6-8 lbs at a time. That's divided onto two trays.

My first convection oven was a garage sale find. I paid about $15 as I remember. It was small would only do one tray and the convection fan didn't move a lot of air. Some inconsistent color throughout the tray. Bullets shot the same. In fact, some of my tightest groups were bullets baked in that oven. It went belly up after a little over a year of use. Elements still worked but weight of bullets resting on tray slides spread them out so tray would fall and door would not stay shut.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy

Yea I will get a convection oven for sure , I have been looking at the Hamilton Beach , just thought I would get a few Ideas of what some of you are using.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    Yea I will get a convection oven for sure , I have been looking at the Hamilton Beach , just thought I would get a few Ideas of what some of you are using.
    If you look around, you may find a second hand domestic free standing stove/oven. Often they are simply thrown out when people upgrade to a new one.
    With simple low cost modifications, like PID control of heating element, they are ideal, especially if they are fan forced types.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    I bought the Black & Decker big convection oven at WalMart for $60. I've found that turning the dial to Stay On and temp control to maximum does the trick for me. I also put 2 8" round steel plates on the aluminum tray on the bottom slot. Preheating the oven for about 20 minutes allows the plates to heat up and retain heat for a longer time.
    Today I cooked 4 trays of 300 .45 233 grain coated in Black. Thats 10lbs. For the .45's I usually cook about 14 minutes. I put a tray on top of the oven during the rotation of the 4 trays. I measured the temps of the preheated boolits at around 150 degrees F. At the 7 minute mark, I quickly open the door and shake the tray for about 2 seconds. The temp at 7 minutes is about 360F. At the 14 minute mark the boolits are about 400-410F.
    For 95grain .380 boolits I cook about 10-12 minutes. I have found that two coats work just as well as the previous three coats that I was doing.
    Today I spent 3 hours cooking 1200 boolits and sizing all 1200. After the first tray was cooked twice I placed it under a box fan turned horizontally and cooled for about 10-12 minutes. They are cold by that point and ready to be sized. I can size 300 in about 15 minutes. I bought a bottle of the sizing from Donnie at HiPerfromance Coatings and it works really well.
    For coating the boolits, I use a Glad 3L container and about 10# of boolits. I also snap the lid shut and swirl vigorously for about 30 seconds then remove the lid and continue swirling for another 30 seconds. This gives me the best coverage and the last 30 seconds with the lid off really gives good color.
    After some experimentation, I've found this process to work really well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy
    Still trying.The powdered hitek doesn't need a catalyst does it?
    MARK

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Howdy
    Still trying.The powdered hitek doesn't need a catalyst does it?
    MARK

The powdered Hi-Tek is a total package. Once it is mixed with solvent, it is ready for use.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Joe
    I'm using standard acetone.Trevor mentioned using denatured alcohol as an agent to retard drying when coating,I'm going to try some off the shelf meths,the purple stuff. 'Digger' brand,how apt.
    MARK

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Hi Joe
    I'm using standard acetone.Trevor mentioned using denatured alcohol as an agent to retard drying when coating,I'm going to try some off the shelf meths,the purple stuff. 'Digger' brand,how apt.
    MARK
    Trevor is correct. Using about 20% denatured alcohol to 80% Acetone, will certainly help with slowing down drying.
    Normal off the shelf Denatured alcohol will do.
    Please do not use any "blends" of solvents containing Acetone, they simply do not work.

Boolit Buddy
    Does the age of the boolits have an effect on the coating?I have resorted to casting and attempted to coat as soon as the bullets were cool enough to handle,is this too soon?
    MARK