Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

B.N. I tumble lubed with BLL on the 40SW batch that had been done with the green. Worked fine, no leading. Alox works as well, just stinks bad. Just tried cleaning the green tumble jug - still has some 'grit' in it. Last time I used it was Jan, IIRC, gold jug was before that. I'm not going to waste time lubing coated boolits just to size.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    You guys talking about coating larger bullets got me to thinking. Is anyone shooting the Hi Tek in larger caliber rifles over 30 cal? If I can save the cash one day to buy one, would like to try it in a 375 H&H or maybe a 45-70. If I get rich and can find a three mile range maybe a Barrett 50 cal. That's a big bullet.
    Bit late but yes I cast and coat for both 375H&H and 45/70 with great results.
    Haven't done as much testing and hunting with them as I would like but am quite happy with the results
    Pretty much settled on my 45/70 load,
    NOE 405RF PB cast as a HP, 96:2:2, 3 coats HT, 47gr AR2208 is giving me 1550fps and averaging under 1/2" for 3 shots at 50y
    Just looked at my initial testing and tried 10 loads with two different powders velocities from 1200-1550fps only 3 went over 1" at 50y and all were under 1.5", 3 were under 1/2".

In the H&H using NOE 275FN GC again as a HP with same alloy and coating, currently using 38gr AR2207 for 1850fps and a 3 shot average just under 1.5moa for testing at 50 & 100y. Has shot a few sub 1" at 100y. Think we should be able to get the H&H to 2000fps with further testing and really turn it into a 200y cast medium game rifle.

popper, a club member recently made me a 4-gang brass mold for my .38, so I figured I'd better cast a few boolits (did 660!). I coated about 100 and then started sizing them. They're fractionally bigger than my Lee .357 mold drops, and after the first few I had to rebuild the handle/pivot arm system on my el-cheapo Lee clone single stage press, such was the effort needed. I then decided to lube them very lightly and it made all the difference, they just slide though now. While lubing coated bullets seems a bit silly, in this case I have no choice.

The lube is a case lube I mixed a couple of years ago, from memory it's mutton tallow and olive oil (to keep it soft). I put a small dab in a container and throw in a handful (or two) of boolits and swirl them a bit. It puts on just enough to help them slide easier, and doesn't take very long - mind you it makes them a bit slippery to pick up!!!.

Boolit Master
    Why not use the HITEK Aqualube 5000?
    Turns an arm strong sizing job into a fingertip job.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post

It also leaves all coated projectiles dry non contaminating and clean and does not interfere with re-coating like oily/greasy lubes.
    A very little goes a very very long way. But, downside is that it is quite expensive as a concentrate, but it works.
    It was initially designed to size very hard alloys which nearly breaks sizing machine. Using this stuff, same slug glides through with huge reduction in effort.

Boolit Master
    The HITEK Aqualube 5000 definitely makes it easier for old arms and shoulders using a Star sizer lubber.

Boolit Bub
    Ok... here is a 45 230gn RN that fell off the baking tray and was sitting on the bottom of the oven for 3 hours of baking at 200 deg C.
    With it is a bullet that got the normal 7 1/2 minute bake cycle.
    Both were smashed and you can see the results.
    Both were coated with Kryptonite green.
    Over baking only changed the colour.

Both pass the wipe and smash tests with flying colours.
    So ausglock, you bake at 200deg celecius for 7 1/2 mins? I'm trying to get my zombie green to look like yours 😀. Picked up a standard oven and I thought I had it but color wiped off. I tried 380degF for 8 mins. Then tries 385 for 10 mins and they were turning brown. Was only baking 1lb of bullets, if that mattered. Oh, what ratio do u use again?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Probably because I'm getting old and forgot I have some? .

Boolit Master
    My oven has been gutted and re-wired so as to give fast heatup and temp control. Most benchtop ovens need 10 to 12 minutes at 200 Deg C for one tray of 2.5kg of bullets.

My green is Kryptonite green. Not Zombie Green.
    I might have to try the ZG in the big oven to see if the time is the same as KG.
    Powder gets mixed 20gms to 100 mls of Acetone. If you are in a hot, dry locality, add 20mls of denatured alcohol to slow down the flashing off while swirling.
    trying to bake small quantities is a pain. that is why I standadise in 2.5kg. That amount of bullets per tray is easy to handle. I bake 2 trays at a time in the big oven for 7 1/2 min at 200deg C.
    When the bullets exit the oven, they are 203deg C when shot with an IR thermometer.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 10-03-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Ok thanks ausglock. Where can I buy Kryptonite green? Do u like the liquid or powder formula better?

Boolit Master
    Have used both and the powdered version is easier to mix but both work fine.
    Liquid version can be used immediately after mixing.
    Powdered version needs to be left for 30 minutes to react before use.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the Zombi and Kryptonite Greens and cannot tell the difference just looking at the color of the powders. I haven't used the Kryptonite yet but hope it turns out a different color.

Powder gets mixed 20gms to 100 mls of Acetone. If you are in a hot, dry locality, as 20mls of denatured alchahol to slow down the flashing off while swirling.
    I must have missed something along the way. I remember acetone and was it MEK. I didn't remember denatured alcohol. So I can use it also as a solvent in place of the acetone? Same amount? Are there other solvents that have been used successfully?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I must have missed something along the way. I remember acetone and was it MEK. I didn't remember denatured alcohol. So I can use it also as a solvent in place of the acetone? Same amount? Are there other solvents that have been used successfully?
    No.....You still use acetone or MEK. denatured Alchohol is only to slow down the flashoff. I tried it on its own and it took like 10 minutes of swirling and it still was not dry. arms got tired from swirling, so gave up and melted them down.
    You need to remember that I am continually trying different things with this coating. It is all experimental til it has been tried and tested.
    There are far more people using this in many different climates. people asked about slowing down the flash off time. So I talk to HITEK Joe and we throw ideas around. A lot of the things I try do not work, so into the melt down pot they go. At any one time, I have about 8000 135gn RN 9mm bullets sitting here to be used for testing. 250 at a time. 2 days ago, I melted down 2500 test failures. a new colour that failed to bake. a black that was brown. a black that was too thin. a blue that went black etc etc etc...
    There is a lot happening that nobody knows about.
    I have on hand at least a litre or more of every colour used by the commercial casters/coaters here in OZ.
    Every batch that goes to the USA has samples sent by Joe for testing prior to dispatch to verify quality.
    So if you lot have issues with the coating, it is your error......lol
    Last edited by Ausglock; 10-02-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    No.....You still use acetone or MEK. denatured Alchohol is only to slow down the flashoff. I tried it on its own and it took like 10 minutes of swirling and it still was not dry. arms got tired from swirling, so gave up and melted them down.
    You need to remember that I am continually trying different things with this coating. It is all experimental til it has been tried and tested.
    There are far more people using this in many different climates. people asked about slowing down the flash off time. So I talk to HITEK Joe and we throw ideas around. A lot of the things I try do not work, so into the melt down pot they go. At any one time, I have about 8000 135gn RN 9mm bullets sitting here to be used for testing. 250 at a time. 2 days ago, I melted down 2500 test failures. a new colour that failed to bake. a black that was brown. a black that was too thin. a blue that went black etc etc etc...
    I have on hand at least a litre or more of every colour used by the commercial casters/coaters here in OZ.
    Every batch that goes to the USA has samples sent by Joe for testing prior to dispatch to verify quality.

Speaking of that black, that stuff looked awesome! What ever happened to the orange ya'll were working on?
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Bub
    So ausglock, substitute 20ml of denatured alcohol for acetone or just add 20ml to the 100ml of acetone? I can only swirl for 10 seconds before they start sticking. I'm already using 120ml to 20grams

Boolit Master
    The Orange didn't work.
    Add the 20 mls to the 100 mls of Acetone.
    still use 6mls per 2.5Kg of bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Now you know that I have always blamed all of my failures on you Aussies being upside down.

The denatured trick is good to know. Might allow me to tumble longer to coat inside the groves and hollow points.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    Speaking of that black, that stuff looked awesome! What ever happened to the orange ya'll were working on?
    That new Black K-15 looks really great. I dont know what I did but ,m ust have fluked it somehow.....lol...lol As we speak, the Black K-15, will be under way to US this week in limited amounts.
    The Orange, ended up looking like Desert Sand tan colour. I liked it but Ausglock, being so picky did not like that colour.

Boolit Master
    I just got some Kryptonite green powder and I am looking for advice on using it compared to Candy Apple Red powder of which I have really good results with.