WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    These all pass the finger nail test as well as the wipe and smash test on both coats. The changes that I made were, adding 10%+- lead shot to the alloy and I let the boolits dry for 10 minutes with a fan and an additional 5 minutes on top of the oven.

The barrel issue is a complete possibility. I noticed that I needed to load about 0.01" lower for my sons PT1911 than mine to get them to chamber in his gun. The boolits I did today will be running a 226 and maybe a Glock, maybe the barrels in these will be a little more forgiving on the leading.

Boolit Master
    Good job. They look just like mine.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Get up and do sompin! Wanta see the bullet feeder.

Boolit Master
    Bugger off.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I went to the range Wednesday to continue the test of the Lee 200gr RN GC in my 1960s era Savage 110 CL in 30-06. The powder is H1000, WLR, sized .309", Hi-Tek Gold 1035. I started at 58 gr and went up a grain at a time to 61 grains. Range was 100 yards, 5 shots. Alloy was heat treated and aged linotype.
    The bore was clean and shiny when the shooting was done. Not a spec of lead or unburned powder. There was quite a bit of recoil that moved my Leadsled with #42 of lead on it. The case expansion indicated the 61gr. load was max. which matched the manual for jacketed loads.
    Here are the results:

#1 58grs, avg. velocity 2,445 fps, Group size 1.602" for 5 shots
    #2 59grs, avg. velocity 2,470 fps, group size 1.311" for 5 shots
    #3 60grs, avg. velocity 2,510 fps, group size 2.217", one pulled left
    #4 61grs, avg. velocity 2,547 fps, group size 2.708"

Don't know why but the pictures uploaded out of order again.
    Last edited by leadman; 07-05-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good job Leadman!

HUUUMMMMMM guess that proves the myth that you can push a bullet at 2500fps without a gas check and no leading! Seems that some of us on here have been right all along about the velocities.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I went to the range Wednesday to continue the test of the Lee 200gr RN GC in my 1960s era Savage 110 CL in 30-06. The powder is H1000, WLR, sized .309", Hi-Tek Gold 1035. I started at 58 gr and went up a grain at a time to 61 grains. Range was 100 yards, 5 shots.
    The bore was clean and shiny when the shooting was done. Not a spec of lead or unburned powder. There was quite a bit of recoil that moved my Leadsled with #42 of lead on it. The case expansion indicated the 61gr. load was max. which matched the manual for jacketed loads.
    Here are the results:

#1 58grs, avg. velocity 2,445 fps, Group size 1.602" for 5 shots
    #2 59grs, avg. velocity 2,470 fps, group size 1.311" for 5 shots
    #3 60grs, avg. velocity 2,510 fps, group size 2.217", one pulled left
    #4 61grs, avg. velocity 2,547 fps, group size 2.708"

Don't know why but the pictures uploaded out of order again.
    Were you using the new dry coating packs or the liquid?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    Good job Leadman!

HUUUMMMMMM guess that proves the myth that you can push a bullet at 2500fps without a gas check and no leading! Seems that some of us on here have been right all along about the velocities.

As you said, Very good job Leadman.

Work done with Coated Copper Jacketed ammo, showed that coating stayed put on Copper jacket, and did separate barrel from the Copper, and, significant reductions of Copper fouling was apparent.
    We had learnt then, that the coating worked OK at those speeds with jacketed ammo, and without loss of accuracy.
    As I have said previously, to shoot cast alloys, coated, require a careful consideration of the engineering requirements being required to be produced by the alloy, that is not jacketed.
    Loss of accuracy with coated cast alloys with Rifles, certainly seems not being a problem with the coatings, however it seems to be a problem with the alloys used.

Work is underway, to try and come up with a suitable alloy, that can be cast, and will as closely replicate the engineering requirements, without a Copper Jacket.
    The search for the holy grail goes on, and on, ... and on, ....BUT, .... things are progressing with such a dedicated person like Leadman and Ausglock who put into these type of testing, many, many hours of dedicated work..
    Thanks much for your input Leadman & Ausglock.
    Your work and your reports are much appreciated by all shooters alike.
    Thanks much.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Last week I got my new casting reloading area all set up, I have cast some 5000 125 gr and 158 gr plain base projectiles. I fired up my $15 second hand convection oven and set to coating. I have too say that all the work done by Ausglock and others has made this a very simple and pleasurable pastime. I mixed my coating [red copper] as directed by Ausglock 5 1 7, set my oven at 200c and timer to 12 mins. gave tray a shake at 6 mins, and had no problems with coating, no rub off with acetone or flaking when projectile beaten. I have to say HI- TEK Joe has reason to be proud of his product and I'm thankfull to everyone who contributed to this subject, you all mad me look better than I know I am. Thanks one and all. Stephen

Boolit Master
    Stephen. It really is easy isn't it?
    I am now concentrating on getting the experimental powdered coating to work.
    Joe has sent 1/2 a dozen to try, but they are mostly failures.
    There is a nice Dark Maroon, but no blue as yet.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    As you know Ausglock, I dont give up easily. I am determined to get a stable blue coloured coating eventually.
    Over many years, I must have sent hundreds of people running, when I call to discuss why their materials did not work.
    Because of the technical aspects, and uniqueness of the "system", there is not much information or material experience available that I can rely upon, to get products that may work.
    It is simply a slow methodical soul destroying battle to get materials, that look great initially, then fail miserably.
    Ahhhh well, back to the mad scientist workbench...lol...lol....

Boolit Master
    The hardline grooveless molds are great to use with the HI-Tek coating.
    I have their 45 230gr RN and 9mm 135gn RN. very easy to use and coat great.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

Gateway, these boolits had Hornady copper gas checks installed. I have sucessfully shot plain based boolits in my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag. to 1,550 fps with excellent accuracy. I am going to work on the rifle boolits to see if the gc can be left off and still obtain equal accuracy. Did you see my previous posts on the 223 Rem? I shot the Lee Bator boolit with GC to 3,619 fps velocity. Accuracy was just over 2 moa but when I get time I am going to work on this.

Avenger442, this coating was the liquid Gold 1035 which contains a harder resin. This coating does not leave the hard fouling in the barrel like the other HT coatings. I can easily push a dry patch thru the bore to check for leading. With the other coatings I had to run a brush thru first.

Boolit Buddy
    I stand corrected! I guess I misread the post. Kinda difficult at times to read from an iPhone. Lol
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    As you know Ausglock, I dont give up easily. I am determined to get a stable blue coloured coating eventually.
    Over many years, I must have sent hundreds of people running, when I call to discuss why their materials did not work.
    Because of the technical aspects, and uniqueness of the "system", there is not much information or material experience available that I can rely upon, to get products that may work.
    It is simply a slow methodical soul destroying battle to get materials, that look great initially, then fail miserably.
    Ahhhh well, back to the mad scientist workbench...lol...lol....
    How can I get my hands on your coating?,does anyone sell it in Perth or can I buy it direct?. Pat

Boolit Master
    Well as Queenslanders we don't give a rats if he never gets the blue up and running do we. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post

Boolit Master
    Well after finishing the remainder of some 5000 cast today, I am of the opinion I will stop checking every bake for rub off and flaking, if I have not had any yet I see no reason why it should start now.

Boolit Master
    It doesn't hurt to check one every 1000.
    After all, a knocked temp dial, A new bottle of acetone, a new mix, A high humidity day (or night) all these things can cause a fail.
    I cast, baked and sized 8000 this weekend. one every 1000 is cheap insurance.

Pat303. Sorry. I forgot. Will get it to you.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Yes good advice Ausglock any variation could be my undoing. I have been motivated by Leadman now, I have cast up a few hundred Lee 250gr .379 casting for my 375 Whelen, I hope to be able to drive them with accuracy to at least 1800 2000 fps. My wife now feels like a widow, but she can always take up casting and shooting.

Did ~ 500 40 & 9 yesterday in XDs with the GKs, no leading, no smoke (indoor range). Did pretty good on the 1 (~20yds standing) & 4 (left handed) targets, considering I can't see the sights on the 40. SIL & his sister still pushing and hitting low. All around good 4th celebration. SIL is finally coming around to shooting cast. Brought his 308MX back to find a good hunting load (still PC). My suitcase was MUCH lighter on the way back. I left another peanut jar for the daughter's 9mm, have another 2 jugs of 40 to coat with the old green, time to cast a couple jugs of 9 for her. RO hadn't seen this stuff before and was impressed. The Gold sounds interesting for rifle.
    Whatever!