Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what this guy uses to coat and color?

Boolit Mold
    I just bought beeswax, STP, and some tranny fluid then I find this. I'm just getting into casting and I can see already that the money I was going to try to save isn't going to happen... Lots of very smart people on this forum with some great Ideas to try. I'm one of those guys that just have to try everything even thou what I have works just fine if you know what I mean. Now to by some Epoxy and some hBN along with mixing up some red pan lube. I'm going to have to try everything.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I wonder too. Using Piglet Coat, the finish is actually kind of rough. If they work (I'll find out tomorrow), then I suspect hBN is unnecessary for this coating.
    Test complete. No leading. I'd be willing to declare hBN is not necessary.

Has anyone tried Ceramic header paint? I use the 2000 deg ceramic header paint to paint the headers on my trucks. It coats well and takes a lot of heat.

Also I use this stuff for the seal coat on the lead fishing lures I make after painting and powder coating. http://csipaint.com/products/uv-fish...-seal-coat.php Anyone try it for bullets. It is water based and can be thinned out with some water.

Just starting to get into cast bullets so I am not set up yet to try either. Both the above mentioned paint/coating dry fast. The header paint dry to the touch in a couple minutes with no heat.

Boolit Mold
    Well just ordered some Klass Kote epoxy. Going to give this a whirl. I think I am going to try it without the hBN first to try and save a buck or 2. This usually comes back to bit me but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Also I use this stuff for the seal coat on the lead fishing lures I make after painting and powder coating. http://csipaint.com/products/uv-fish...-seal-coat.php Anyone try it for bullets. It is water based and can be thinned out with some water.
    Hmmm, interesting. Always worth a try.

Boolit Mold
    Klass Kote showed up today. I just need my stuff from Midway USA to come in now. Then let the fun (learning) begin.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone else tried this method with any different epoxies? I am still waiting for my stuff from Midway to show up but I am kinda curious if anyone else is doing this method or mostly the piglet method?

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting. But cost of lube is not important to me. Time and aggravation are my hot buttons. It seems like a PITA to separate a few hundred bullets at a time on a sheet to dry, then stack them again to cure and do a batch every 30 minutes and do that three times .... or am I missing something?

If you shoot a hundred a week or for rifle bullets it maybe worth the effort. Or the novelty effect. But what if you want to process 1-2000 at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Interesting. But cost of lube is not important to me. Time and aggravation are my hot buttons. It seems like a PITA to separate a few hundred bullets at a time on a sheet to dry, then stack them again to cure and do a batch every 30 minutes and do that three times .... or am I missing something?

If you shoot a hundred a week or for rifle bullets it maybe worth the effort. Or the novelty effect. But what if you want to process 1-2000 at a time?
    Yes, it is a bit of pita, but so are the other methods I've tried. Obviously a lubrisizer is easy, but I shoot lots of bullets in a short amount of time and really dislike smoke. I've got a cadence down now that it's not too bad, but I'm sure over time we'll figure out a 1 coat method. If you had a large electric smoker, with lots of shelves you could do 2000 at time. That's my plan. It's really not that bad separating them, jiggling the track gets most of that done.

I think if we find just the right PC, and method it will be much easier.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

In my limited experience with Piglet Coat, I've found it to be faster to lube/size than using my RCBS Lubrasizer II. Elapsed time may be long, but actual labor time is not. Most of the time is spent waiting for the bullets to bake (i.e. you can be doing something else).

Are any Americans (want to limit to paints available here in the states) here using a paint other than Klass Kote? If so, how are your results?

I could never anything in small quantities, and I was going to pay $80+ for something that didn't work. I even went to Sherman Williams to try to buy smaller, but they said gallon only.

Boolit Buddy
    Skip62, Did you use gloss or satin part B catalyst? I picked up some Klass Kote at the local hobby shop this weekend. They only had satin part B catalyst. I just got done coating and backing around 100 boolits this morning. I will try them out tomorrow before I head into work.

Here is a finished boolit and round for my 9mm. I only coated them twice. They pushed right through the Lee sizer without scraping any of the coating off. Best thing is there is no sticky lube to deal with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0186.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	75599
    Last edited by Lights; 07-08-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added picture
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

I used gloss, but I don't think it matters. Yours look good.

Boolit Mold
    has anyone had luck without using hbn?

Boolit Buddy
    I will let you know tomorrow night. I did not use any.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sly mantis View Post
    has anyone had luck without using hbn?
    It's not doing anything from what I can tell. I don't bother with it anymore.

Boolit Mold
    let us know how it works out.
    Would epoxy garage floor paint be the same as this stuff?

Boolit Buddy
    I do not know. it might be if it is a 2 part epoxy. I think it would cost you more. Because you would need to buy it by the gallon. Klass Kote sells 1/2 pints. Part A and part B combined only cost $30 and is enough to do a ton of bullets. You do not need to buy Klass Kotes reducer. Lacquer thinner works just fine.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    You do not need to buy Klass Kotes reducer. Lacquer thinner works just fine.
    Would acetone work?