MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Model 94, 44 mag

Boolit Master

Model 94, 44 mag

Another shop sent a Win. 94 over with a broken carrier. I check all my sources and came up with nothing. Seems there are a bunch of 94s out there in 44 mag with broken carriers. The metal used does not weld worth beans, it broke next to the weld. I told the other shop I could probably machine carrier out of steel but it would not be cheap. They did not want to put any money in it so I bought it for parts. Yesterday I machined out a new carrier and put the rifle back together this morn. Now I'm the proud owner of a 44 mag that looks almost new.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good for you. The bore is likely to be large but when you overcome that limitation, you'll have a treasure.

Boolit Mold
    Yep, mine likes them sized at .431, but so do my older Rugers.

A fun gun, I'm holding onto mine...

Boolit Mold
    How much do you want for your machined carrier? I could use a spare. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sodcity/8593403699/ Mine also likes them sized .431. The rifle shoots well but the service from Winchester is awful. Still can't believe that the part is obsolete. If anyone out there is thinking about buying one, DON'T.
    Last edited by trapdoor1873; 04-24-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Hmmm...all this sounds like a business opportunity to me. Wonder if Wisner's is making them yet?

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Wisner's has one listed for the old model in 30-30 @ $75. I don't have CNC equipment and it takes a bunch of time to make on manual machines, cost would be closer to $300. Trapdoor, at least you have both pieces, I only had the back half to work from. apparently the metal used is centered iron which seems to be a bad choice in this application.I think the older stamped sheet metal one would be better than the new ones.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 04-24-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master

the guys over on the Marlin firearms owners forum may be able to help you out
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    the guys over on the Marlin firearms owners forum may be able to help you out
    With a Winchester?

Boolit Man
    Well... some folks own both

Trapdoor1873's 44 carrier is an AE, is the top eject the same or at least similar?
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Buddy
    John.

The factory cast 44 carrier, is really thin on that one side, plus they seemed to have a heat treat issue, as a LOT of them are broken.
    New factory carriers dried up about a year ago.

As far as us making them, well, I do have a sample new carrier and have done all the CAD work, just the issue of when I can find the time on the older two CNC mills to proof the program.

But hope is in sight, as we have a Vertical Machine Center on order, that should be deliveried in late July or early August. Then have to work things all out to really get it up and running.

Once the new machine is up and going then we can work thru our long backlog of parts we are out of.

Hope is in sight, and the light at the end of the tunnel hopefully is not the train.

J Wisner