Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got the Contender pistol ltch scratched

Boolit Master

Got the Contender pistol ltch scratched

Bought a Contender first generation 1969 357 mag 10 in LIKE NEW.Had Contender Hunter case with it.$299.Very happy.Now more barrels!

PM sent.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to our happy addiction.

Boolit Bub
    30-30 is my favorite barrel.

Boolit Master

OH BOY, another Tender addict in the making.
    Gotta love`em....dale

Boolit Buddy Charlie, AKA The Deacon's Avatar
    I have the itch also, thinking on a 357max, had one years ago. might have to replace it soon.
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Master
    Gotta love a Contender! An accurate single shot, they're really great.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Good job!!! Love contenders.

Boolit Master
    Boy, that was a deal! I am actually a little jealous!
    Lots to learn when using a contender. They are a different animal all together.
    It starts with one barel, then the fever hits. I am up to 4 contender barrels and 8 Encore barrels so far and see no need to stop. My 338-06 barrel is one of my favorites for hogs during the day time. Not the most accurate, but REAL powerful.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Resist the temptation to ream that .357 Mag barrel out to the .357 Max until you've really wrung out what you can do with the Magnum case. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't "Maxed" mine now, the full-house Max loads are too much for that frame, IMHO. I've dropped back to loads that I could have done in the Magnum case, with boolits seated shallow.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Get another barrel or after playing with the current Mag chambering, ream your current Mag barrel to Max.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I also have a 10" .357 Mag barrel. Mine also is ported and has the Hot Shot choke tube to stop the spin of the shot capsule from the rifled barrel. Seems to work with Speer shotcapsules. Keep a tight pattern at 15yds for squrriels. Second barrel is a 14" .41 Mag.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    This happy addiction can get out of hand. Got my first Contender and two barrels from my Dad as a welcome home present after my first tour in SE Asia in 1973 (I think). Now I am up to five frames and more than a dozen pistol and carbine barrels. Got my last a month ago I decided I needed a testing frame (so I would have to change all the time) and stumbled into an unfired "new" frame with an unfired old 222 Rem Octagonal barrel plus a competition grip for $320. Now if I can just find 222 brass... Not counting Encore and TCR.

Contenders are very addictive , hard to stop at one. They a attention getter at the range too, especially when they are shoot'n little bitty groups
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

turn back before it's too late !! send it to one of the guys here and let them suffer ..every new barrel - new dies,molds,scopes,stocks,brass,etc ... it only grows - run while you still can !!!!!!!! umm other than that they be alot of fun !!!!!! ok so i umm lost count of how many i have ( not enough ) and the very best thing i can tell you is to treat it ( and seat it ) like a rifle , sure they'll digest factory fodder just fine but tailored per barrel they are ummmm addicting :P good deal btw !!
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Welcome to your obsession - Let's see
    22LR, 222, 223, 256 mag, 30 carbine, 30 Herrett reamed to 30-30 AI (gone now), 357 mag, 357 max, 357 herreitt (gone now), 44 mag, 45 colt/410 w/ choke, 45-70

You can't go too long in remission before it comes back on ya.

Thinking about 300 blackout barrel

Boolit Buddy
    It is too late!!!!!!

Once you have one Contender you just have to have another barrel and another and another, the next one will shoot even better. But that is only the start; you have to get brass, powder (at least three different kinds), one mold is never enough and it just goes on and on. But then someone mentions a new barrel you just have to own and it all starts over again.

I just love it!!

Sell it now and run! It is an addiction and will grow. I know my name is Ken and I an a contenderhalic. This 12 step program involves finding at least 12 barrels....

I have switched over all mine to the G2 frame. 2 blue and 2 stainless. Barrels yep, rechambers yep, pistols and carbines yep.
    Must have barrels: 22LR, 22 Hornet (cause you will want to reload and 22 mag does not let you), 204 Ruger in a Carbine, 223(no 10" in this to much blast), 357 Max(Rechambers are best), 44 Mag(or Rechamber to 444 Marlin on 14" with Hunter Brake), and at least one TCU chamer I like the 7TCU.

Encore addiction has started with 204 and 243, I'm sure I'll add a 444 and a 45-70 to it...

Ken
    Ken TN

NRA Handgun Instructor and Endowment Member
    IHMSA, SASS, NRA Field Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I love mine and congratulations on yours. I'm just waiting on my suppressor and then threading all my sub 380 calibers. I like the 16'' barrels with a rifle stock. Small side note. If you get the 45/70 barrel with the cheap plastic butt stock, don't load hot loads unless you have a shoulder pad. It will beat you down.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Master
    I still have my original late 80's in 30-30 Win.. 14" bbl, I've horse traded some barrels over the years. I currently have a 10" .223 bbl in addition to the .30-30.. had a ported .44 mag 12", a 10" .357 and at one point a 14" .223 Rem.. Don't currently have a use for it, but I may eventually get back into Sillouette..