Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoops- it's TITEWAD

Boolit Grand Master

Whoops- it's TITEWAD

As the title indicates, I boneheaded a Titegroup purchase and ended up with Titewad. Weelll, as it turns out, there is no pistol data available from Hogdon for this powder, so I will be investigating this blind.

Now, before I use this as expensive fertilizer or turn a fine gun into parts, it behooves me to do some research. Usually, when confronted by a problem of this sort, I look for loads from FASTER powders. The relative burn charts give a clue as to how fast powders are, but they don't have a set interval, so a given set of adjacent powders might be thisclose, or this........... close. So it is imperative to look closely and try to find what data you can. The problem here is that this is a really fast powder. There are exactly 5 powders "Quicker" than Titewad, and two of them have no data available for pistols. Norma R1? Alliant E3? But there is some Data for Vihtavouri N310, and some for Accurate Arms Nitro 100. I decided that the best use for this is in light target loads, so I am searching for 45 ACP 200 grain SWC data, or 148 grain Wadcutter loads for the 38 special.

I found a reference that listed 2.4 grains as a starting load, with 2.7 as a max load for the 38, using AA Nitro 100. So, I choose to start with 2.0 grains of titewad, then 2.2 grains, then 2.4 grains, then 2.6. All I want is to kill paper, so a mild, accurate load is fine by me. I do not have pressure testing equipment, so I intend to err on the light side. I will be chronographing these loads, looking for a 750-770 fps load from a 6 inch M-14 S&W. It'll be a few days before I can test these, so for now, I'm seeking input from others who can't read.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    They have .45 data in the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Boolit Master
    I always thought Alliant E3 was a cleaner burning Red Dot? I'd use Bullseye starting loads and go from there. I've used Titewad and it loads similar to Bullseye when loading 12 gauge light recoil low velocity loads (1200 fps - 7/8 oz shot) so that is where I get the idea that it is a similar burn speed to Bullseye.

Boolit Master

I had some of that norma r1 , as I recall it was the fastest powder , and I had data in a reloading manual for 9mm , never used it , still in storage , came in half pound cans .
    Look forward to your experience and what this powder is good for in cast handgun loads .

Boolit Master

I think the Titewad load is new. I bought a couple of pounds of Titewad in 2011. Thought I grabbed Titegroup. At that time, there was no pistol load data. The 45 ACP load is not in the 2012 printed manual either.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    I love it when a plan comes together, unfortunately, this one didn't.
    6 shots into the project my chronograph died.
    I had failed to remove the battery the last time out and it had leaked and crudded up everything.
    this what I got.
    2.0 titewad H&G #50 PB, 148 wc taper crimped seated to the crimp groove.
    622 fps
    648 "
    603 "
    618 "
    596"
    617 fps avg

2.2 grains
    623 fps

I shot up the rest with no obvious signs of pressure, but the 2.6 grain loads were definitely hotter. Recoil was noticeably greater. I am going to try again, once I clean up my chronograph, and get a new battery, but I'll try the 2.4 load. All of them gave decent groups, with the 2.4 load giving recoil similar to 2.8 grains of Red Dot. ( a load I just happened to have on hand for comparison while testing).
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Did the same thing, bought titewad thinking titegroup. Used the data for the 45 and your results to get a load for my 40 S&W. (Need to get a chrono myself) But right now for just punching holes with my 175TC boolits, got nice accurate hits starting out with 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4 grains.

Titewad is an excellent low recoil load that can be used in a similar vein to Clays by weight (not by volume because it is much more dense). I would be happy to use it in pistol loads, but it is much too valuable to me in 3/4 oz 12 gauge skeet loads. Smashes the clay targets nicely while saving a considerable amount of money in lead and powder.

Boolit Master

Titewad

Titewad is my main powder I use for 12 gauge, 1 ounce loads in Remington and Winchester cases shooting clays. But I also found it worked well for my old military rifles for shooting ground hogs caught in the live trap with any boolit and around 8 to 10 grains. The kids love it for target shooting since they stopped making 22 long rifle ammo about 8 months ago. Shoot a lot of it in the .308.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    Titewad is an excellent low recoil load that can be used in a similar vein to Clays by weight (not by volume because it is much more dense). I would be happy to use it in pistol loads, but it is much too valuable to me in 3/4 oz 12 gauge skeet loads. Smashes the clay targets nicely while saving a considerable amount of money in lead and powder.
    rocket, How many grains or what bushing # are you using for those 3/4 oz loads? Thanks.

Iowa Fox,
    In Remington Gun Club Hulls (same for STS, Nitro Express or any other Remington plastic hull) and a Claybuster CB-0175 wad, I use a #27 Mec bushing which drops 17.6g Titewad for me. I use either a Winchester 209 Primer or a Federal 209A primer. The 209A is a bit hotter and produces a higher pressure, but produces the same velocity of about 1250 fps. Both primers work fine for me.

Be sure to weigh out the powder drop from your own Mec Bushing. I've seen 1/2 grain differences between the same numbered bushings. Some bushings have a spread of 0.2g between numbers, others have a difference of 0.9g between numbers.

I keep a spreadsheet of bushings vs. powder taped to my 9000GN so I can refer to which bushing to use. The calculated numbers are based on bushing dimensions, the actual weights are what I measured out and averaged from 10 drops. I always check powder drop weights before a session. It takes an extra minute and can save you grief if you accidentally misread a bushing number <oops>.
    Attachment 75057

Boolit Master
    Thanks a million rocket I really appreciate the info.

Banned
    You are a member of my club, "Purchasing TITEWAD instead of TIGHT GROUP"!! bUT DO NOT DESPAIR, i WAS NOT ABOUT TO LET IT GO TO WASTE. STARTED USING 2.2 GRAIN BEHIND A .38 WAS CUTTER AND SETTLED ON 2.4 GRAINS. i LOVED IT!! tRY IT AND i THINK YOU WILL ALSO BE PLEASED!! dd

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's ever done this. Fortunately I'd only bought a pound of it. Used it for shotshell loads as I recollect.

Boolit Grand Master
    Follow on notes.
    I still haven't managed to get my chonograph up and running but can report that 2.4 grains is an excellent load for 38 Wadcutters, nice round groups and modest recoil. 3.4 grains works very well under the 150 grain M-P 359-640 HP.

Usually shotgun powder can be used in pistols too.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad I am not the only one who misread lables!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use nothing but Titewad in .32 Auto with 75 grain boolits. 1.9 for practice, 2.1 for carry. Burns very clean and meters perfectly. I tried 3.0 grains under a 125 grain slug in .38 Special the other day. Out of my Ruger Service Six this was an accurate load with mild report. I'm thinking Titewad may be the perfect powder for small cartridges and short barrels.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold

The Titewad club

Glad to find I am not the only Baffoon that bought Titewad by mistake ! I have been sitting on it waiting for winter to come around and I can spend time developing cast loads with it. My current favorite with 30-06 and 35 Remington is 700X. I will have to apply a little Wasilla engineering and see if this fast burning stuff can make one hole groups with my long barrel pop gun loads !

Boolit Grand Master
    4.1 grains under a 452 H&G 68 works well and shoots close to point of aim in my LLama Minimax. It is more accurate in this pistol than factory hardball and functioned the slide perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast