Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Difference FL DIE SET & SMALL BASE DIE SET

Boolit Bub

Difference FL DIE SET & SMALL BASE DIE SET

What is the difference between a full lenght (sizing die) set and a Small Base die set (.308 cal).

Thanks,
    Tom

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    In a nutshell, a small base die set sizes the base of the cartridge more than a full length die set, but otherwise both are the same thing. That said, if you adjust your full length die set properly, 99.9% of the time there's no reason to buy a small base die set.

This usually occurs when someone reloading for semi automatic rifles has problems chambering the cases they resized because the cases are still too big at the base. What they need to do is adjust their full length die down more so it resizes farther down the case. What many do is go buy a full length die set to fix an adjustment problem.

Once in a blue moon, a chamber might be tight enough to actually need small base dies, but if it's that tight, it's probably a better idea to take the rifle to a gunsmith and have the chamber reamed a bit more to a more reasonable size.

Boolit Master
    About 3 thou just above the extractor groove.

Boolit Bub
    Thank-You! I've been wondering what the difference is....Looks like I'll be adding another FL die set to the collection tomarrow !
    Tom

Boolit Master

I have never used a small base die, I load for several auto rifles with no problems.

A friend took .005 off the top of my shell holder. Problem solved.

Boolit Bub
    As mentioned yesterday, I was able to find both .308cal FL & small base RCBS dies today (last sets available). I bought the FL set and am ready to get going with it this weekend, thanks for the great advice!

Tom (knowing is half the battle)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletlube View Post
    A friend took .005 off the top of my shell holder. Problem solved.
    By doing that you run the risk of setting the shoulder back too much.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    Them there belted magnums have a tendency to get fat around the belt where the sizer dont go. They have a special collet sizer that just does the belt. Funny thins is: One size fits all.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have never found a "need" to use a small base die, even for autos and lever guns. Was told by a die manufacturer tech many years ago that standard FL dies are made to size to the minimum SAAMI chamber spec and SB dies are made to size to within the min/max SAMMI cartridge dimensions. I have never had a problem with standard FL dies for milspec chambers and have loaded for many, many military rifles (bolt, semi & full auto).

All fail to chamber problems I've encountered with standard FL dies have been from to long a case OAL after sizing (trimming solves that) and from too long cartridge headspace after sizing (taking a little off the top of the shell holder solves that as mentioned).

My preference for any FL sizing is the RCBS standard X-Die if available.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    There are always exceptions to every "rule". Larry's definition is right on, for example. But, when it comes to a low serial numbered BAR in 30-06, small base dies ARE required for the gun I reload for. On the other hand, the 223 dies that I have are regular base dies by designation, but they are really small base dies in reality by Larry's definition of small base dies making factory spec ammo, rather than chamber spec ammo implied by the spec they were manufactured to. ... felix
    felix

I have a Rem 40X in 223 and need a SB die to chamber.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I went with the RCBS FL .308 two die set last week to size and load for a Rock River LAR-8. Guess I'll just have to see how it goes. Guess I'll see how it goes and if needed I'll have to look in the RCBS X series.