Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Cast in the Rem. 700, 270

Boolit Master

Cast in the Rem. 700, 270

This was shot last month at our PDog match in the hunter weight rifle class, max power setting for scope is 6X.
    The 9 ring is 1in Ø. Distance 100 yards, the 3rd shot in the 7 ring was a called flier.
    All the particulars are on the target.
    This Rem 700 is a ¾ min gun with condoms, that's pretty good with cast, but they weren't doing 2700 eather.

Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Calamity Jake,

It is nice to see another 270 Winchester cartridge shooter on board. That caliber doesn’t seem to be a big crowd pleaser when it comes to cast bullets!

Four or 5 years ago, I won a Model 700 LS (laminated stock) in that caliber. I have always been a 270 Winchester fan and own several Model 70’s of which I have one that I have used for deer 43 years now. None of the 70’s has ever shot cast bullets. So, when I won the Model 700, I thought, why not try it with cast—the rest is history!

I shoot the Lyman 280642 that is heat treated and only the check is sized to 0.278” in the seating process. Twenty grains of XMP-5744 pushes this 150 grainer at around 1710 fps (chronographed). Accuracy is M.O.A. out to 200 yards. I have the rifle topped with a Burris 4x-12x ‘scope. I can hit 1-liter soft drink bottles at 300 yards from my bench. I have a spring at my shooting bench so I fill the plastic bottles with water and add a drop of red food coloring. When they are hit at 300 yards, I can see the water level drop! The bottle never moves and there is no “water action” at all—just a .278” hole straight through! I have shot this bullet with 5010PD also, but accuracy is not so good. Fifty-eight grains of those logs give a velocity of 2375 fps (chronographed). I think working with this powder might give acceptable accuracy with a bit more velocity than the XMP-5744.

I also shoot the Lyman 287346 that is also heat treated. I push this 0.285” bullet into a 0.278” RCBS sizer die when I seat the check. I then heat treat, although I really an not sure that the heat treating is necessary with either slug. I should experiment sometime, but sometime is always hard to find! Regardless, I am getting around 1900 fps (chronographed) with this bullet and accuracy is almost as good as with the 280642. The same 20-grain charge of XMP-5744 is used.

I will be interested as to other shooters who shoot the 270 Winchester with cast boolits…BCB

On Heaven's Range

From time to time I also dabble with the .270. The rifle is a tang-safety M77 Ruger with light 22" barrel and a rather decent trigger, after some tune-up.

I've never given the outfit a real workout with cast loads, but right now it's sitting with a de-coppered bore waiting for the "round tuit".

My moulds are the RCBS 130, Lyman's Loverin 280468 and the spire-point 280473. Sizing is .278". In limited testing to date, both the 468 and RCBS bullets have done quite well. The rifle wears a Leupold 2-7x with fine cross-hair and 1/4-minute dot, so the "seeing" is pretty good.

I have about 500 rounds of good brass, so there's no excuse for my shilly-shallying like this. After the 100+ temps go away, the .270's gonna get some attention.

After posting the above, I went out to measure some bullets. The 280468 is .274" on the front band, and fully .283 on the rear....it could conceivably work in a 7mm, as well! The RCBS is skinny, at only .273"....add a gascheck at .278, and it's almost as if the whole bullet is a bore-rider with a copper driving band....
    Last edited by BruceB; 07-08-2007 at 09:58 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I use the SAECO 270 as well. It is .270 on the nose, and I size the driving bands .278. It shoots very well in everything I have except my 270 Maximum pistol, which has a bore size of .271. I beagle it for that, and it shoots like a house afire. I have a 280412 Lyman mold, but it is useless. The nose is around .268 and the driving bands are something like .286. My dad bought it back around 1949 when he got a 721 Remington, but found that jacketed bullets were still hard to get.

Jake
    My neighbor has a .270 win and I have been bugging him to try lead bullets. All he has to do is see that target and the rest will be history. Nice group.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Man
    If any of you 270 shooters are interested I have an Ideal mold 280473 that i bought at an estate sale that appears to never have been used. PM me if you whish it to be yours.

I have the rifles, the molds and the gas checks, but I have other load development priorities this summer. Maybe next summer.

-ktw