RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is breaking my heart.

Boolit Master

This is breaking my heart.

In November my home guard (Emma) was diagnosed with bone cancer. It started out about the size of a half golf ball, it is now the size of a soft ball.
    On New Years day she was yelping every once in a while so we started he on the pain pills which are an opium derivative. Well it really did the trick. Friday when I got home from work she was really feeling no pain and wanted to play like a puppy. I tried to get her to slow down but she just wanted to romp. After the leg gave out a couple times she slowed down. I thought that she would be feeling it Saturday and I was right.
    From the time she was house broke she has slept at the foot of our bed which is upstairs. Saturday morning she had a real problem getting down the stairs and was real unstable walking even after getting her pills. Sunday morning I had to carry her down stairs which isn't easy with a Rottweiler even though her weight is down from the cancer. All day she was even more unstable on her feet.
    Last night when it was time to go to bed we blocked the stairs so she wouldn't try to climb them. Well she wasn't going to have that so she barked till I came down and slept in the downstairs bedroom where she slept at the foot of the bed.
    I just can't believe how good she was on Friday and how bad this morning. If things don't turn around it looks like I may have to put her down this week. I have had to do this before but that doesn't make it any easier. In the past there has been no doubt but Emma is still very alert and aware of what's going on.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Men have to do the hard things in life Bob. Be strong. Move forward. End her suffering.
    Last one I put down was old as dirt and a puppy till the last breath. I'll fire off a prayer for you.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is a hard thing. I will pray for you both.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Hard to part with your best friend at times. Sometimes it's best to end their pain though, and the sad thing is they're loyal to the end.....

Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain Bob. I've been down this same road too many times in recent years and it never gets easier. Do the right thing and don't let your friend suffer. I too will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Just lost my Buddy to a fast moving car. He was chasing after me--we went every where together. It was my fault and burying him was just awful. Had to put down a Springer several years ago--hardest thing I ever did and will not do it again that way. Have a new "buddy" now. She is a Poo-chi. Runt of the bunch, solid black, short slick hair, and fiesty. She and I are going to be great friends. Laying on my lap right now curled up. About the size of my fist-named her "Pretty Girl"--and she is--lol.

Boolit Master

It's just that it's hard to part with old friends. At least you know she has no chance of recovery. Ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge ?? We'll see them again, right there. You're both in my thoughts. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Give her all the love and attention you can as long as you can, but when she hurts too much put her down as painlessly as possible. I'd say more but my iPad is getting wet.

Boolit Buddy
    The day we bring they home we know this day is coming.
    Treat them with the respect they have for you and do the hard thing.
    Dave C. And his buddy. Jake.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Grand Master

The hardest part of being master to a truly awesome dog, is the final obligation.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    You have my sincere sympathy! My last dog was a lab cross mutt and he lived 16 years. He got so stove up he couldn't even get himself out of the rain and I was out of town working. LOML phoned me and we decided the best thing was to take him to the vet. Gail and my DIL took him and he went quietly. We decided not to get another dog because at our age(s) it would likely outlive us and someone else would have to take care of it. Not fair to the dog and not fair to the kid who would likely have to take it. Now we have one cat left (of the three we had) and when she goes we likely will not get another for the same reasons.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

My son lost his loyal and brave shepherd, Denis, in Afghanistan.
    When I lost my best friend Bucky, my son told me "It will always hurt to remember him, just think of the good things and it will ease with time".
    Sometimes an old man can learn a valuable lesson from a kid.

In Remembrance

My buddy Duke had a tumor as large as a football and had to be put down. I had rather be put down myself than go through that again. Now we have Slade, and I find myself fighting such an attachment again. Praying for you.

Boolit Master
    You'll do the right thing for Emma because you love her. Remember that because of your special love for her, she had a better life with you than she might have had with anyone else. Also remember that the joy Emma has brought to you and your family will always far and away outweigh the sorrow she leaves behind.

wch said it very well.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

i have an arrangement for these situations with my brother in law...
    it still ain't easy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i have an arrangement for these situations with my brother in law...
    it still ain't easy.
    I understand but with a dog that has loved me as much as she has, I can't let her go home without being by her side. Her 3 favorite things in life are being with me no matter where, going to the airport, and playing with the twins across the road.
    Damned allergies are about to short out the keyboard.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Rainbow bridge

Here's a you-tube rendition of the rainbow bridge;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3S86-p1A4

Here's another video with the ORIGINAL verses of the rainbow bridge. Because the original author is unknown, many people have tried to "improve", embellish, IOW RUIN it.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Why do we willingly allow ourselves to continually be open to this kind of pain? After the last one, my beloved ziggy, a springer, I swore I wound never be hurt like that again! Yeah, sure, within 2 months I had another dog, a rescue from a bad situation. My reward has been his undying devotion, love, and protection.

Boz, do what you know you have to. Bravo for knowing you have to be with her at the end. An extension of the trust that develops between us and our dogs/pets.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

My little Pooch is in the same shape as yours, We need to give em lots of love. Prayers sent
    High Hook

Last spring my wife and I got the long face about our beloved dog blue her chest was full of cancer. She lasted another month before she couldnt hardly walk and had to make the decision. Its still rough since we still have one of her pups and they look and act almost the same. Snuff isnt near the dog her mom was but watching her brings back so many good memories. I understand your pain and will keep you in my prayers.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Wish I could say something to make you feel better, but it's hard, and it's *supposed* to be hard to say goodbye to someone that we have loved and been loved, especially so with a four legged critter that loves so unconditionally.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar