Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Brass DO You Use With Your Leverguns?

What Brass DO You Use With Your Leverguns?

Well, I am a nutcase so I always try to use Remington brass with my Marlins and Winchester brass with my Winchesters. However, I do have a bunch of Star-Line brass since it is the less expensive brass on the market right now and holding. My first batch of new SL brass I got for $17 per 100 and now it's up to $21 per 100 while RP and Win brass is $35 per 100

Well how about Hornady's advertisement of their 44-40 brass?
    http://www.hornady.com/store/44-40-c-1117/

$53 per 100?

I use Starline brass with my Marlin. Works fine.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Color me crazy but I use any brass that is in good condition in mine . I do have a sizer die set specifically for the lever rifle in question though .

Jack

Boolit Master
    First pick : Federal
    Second pick: Winchester
    Third pick: There isn't any.

I never buy (new) brass. Always first fires I look to buy or trade for.
    Last edited by OverMax; 12-13-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I> added

Boolit Master
    I use mostly Remington brass in the 444 Marlin's . I used mostly Winchester brass in the Marlin 45-70 I just sold and I used mostly Winchester brass in the Marlin 336-44 44 MAG I also just sold .

I do have 50 pieces of Hornady full length 444 brass that I use with one of my rifles . Also have 60 or so pieces of Remington brass I have used in the 45-70 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I only have one levergun, Win. 94 in 30-30, and it eats my hand closes around at the range or which I can buy used & cheap. If I ever get concerned about accuracy experiments I will probably buy 100 new cases and use them strictly for the purpose.

For 45-70 I use winchester for BP and Remington for smokeless. Winchester has a bit more capacity.

Boolit Master
    I need to chamber oversize bullets in my 44-40, so I want the thinnest brass I can get, which is Winchester (I think).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    I need to chamber oversize bullets in my 44-40, so I want the thinnest brass I can get, which is Winchester (I think).
    I have been measuring the wall thickness on a lot of .38 Special cases lately as a separate research project.
    I find that Star-Line is both thinner and more uniform than either Winchester, or Remington.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

What Brass DO You Use With Your Leverguns?

Whatever brand the case is that I pick out of the tub. I've found brands to make no difference.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

I use Rem, Win, Starline, Federal, and probably other brands I can't think of at the moment.
    GH1

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on the cartridge and sometimes the levergun. 45-70 is partial to Starline over RP and IMHO nobody makes a better .32 Special case than Hornady. In 45 Colt the nod again goes to Starline with RP a close second. 35 Remington seems happiest with Remington brass but my WW brass is getting pretty ancient. 375 Winchester is fed with WW cases, can't recall seeing any other headstamp on that case.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

In the 35 Win I use redrawn Win 30/40 cases. In the 405 I use BELL.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use whatever. I have Federal, Winchester, Remington, Starline, PMC, CCI, Sellier & Belliot, and perhaps a few more brands of 30-30 brass mostly range pick ups, My 30-40 gets only Winchester, as does my 32-40, .348 and 38-55, simply because those were the only casings I could find. The browning 32-20 gets Remington, Winchester, or Starline, though my preference has been for the Remington. The 44 Mag has the greatest variety, simply because I have reloaded it the most, I have brass from all of the above, plus a handful of each of Dominion, HSM, UMC, and probably a few more I don't recall. My 250 Savage has mostly winchester brass, but I have also a box or two each of Brass converted from other Brass, Remington 22-250's and Hornady.
    For accuracy testing, I use new brass, all of the Same lot, by the same Manufacture. But for stress reduction and Silhouette shooting on the pigs and chickens, I use whatever. I need the practice more than I need that last half inch reduction in group size that carefully selected, painstakingly prepared and uniformed brass can deliver.
    But basically, unlike my bolt guns, where I am picky, for my recreational shooting, I use whatever I can scrounge. I get virtually all of my 30-30 brass at the range for the asking from people who don't reload, once fired, still in the factory boxes. Works fine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I use what ever I can find. I have bought new brass but I prefer to find once fired.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

For my Marlin 1894, whatever happens to be in the 'clean' bin when I'm setting up the Dillon to reload .44s...which is usually a mix of Federal and W-W with a few PMCs for seasoning. I load only W-W cases for my M336 .30-30 'cause (a) I've got a bunch of them and (b) it helps keep my levergun loads separate from the .30-30s I load (in Remington cases) for my Savage 340.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

What ever is on hand, with a preferance for Win in 30-30, Rem in 44 and 357 and 444. Fed comes in sceond with 30-30, followed by Rem. I never turn down offered brass at the range, and pick up all reloadable, mostly obvious once fired center fired brass.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm just cheap. Whatever brass I have at the loading bench. I don't go for the Nth degree of accuracy. I'm happy with minute of hog.

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    I use Remington Winchester and Starline brass. I get more reloads with the Remington. Here it is the most expensive brass.
    All my loads are a bit over mid level.

Doc.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I use what ever I can get my hands on. I do use certain brands with specific loads though. Even if the boolits are the same, I sometimes load them without GC's and to a lower velocity for use on varmints, or small game. Just by looking at the headstamp I can tell what round I'm pulling out of the box.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it