Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: building a rifle, need to heat treat action.

Boolit Buddy

building a rifle, need to heat treat action.

i am building a rifle and am nearly finished with the action. now, i know it needs some heat treating to provide a good service life. i understand how it works and have no qualms about building my own heat treating oven. however i dont expect to need the heat treating equipment again any time soon and would be interested in having the heat treating done by an outside source. i have heard that facilities that can do this will not touch gun parts. is this a reasonable assumption or do i just need to find a willing shop? the steel in question is 4140 and 4340. if having it done is not really an option, has anyone got any suggestions for my heat treating furnace based on their experience?
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I do know there is a place in Kalispell, Mt. that does it, but I don't know the name of the business. You would need to search the Yellow Pages. There are a LOT of firearms related manufacturers here. I imagine if you call one of them, they can direct you the right way. I believe it cost around $100.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Try Blanchards in salt lake city. I believe they do reheat treatments on mauser receivers. Maybe they can help you with what you are trying to do. Frank

Banned
    Fireball Heat Treating should be able to do it. They have a quick turn around too.

http://fireballheattreating.com/

Boolit Grand Master

There's a feller out east that does this type of work, and I have spoken to him on several occasions on the phone. I still have not been in need of his services, but he seems quite knowledgeable. Dan Printz is his name.
    http://danthegunman.com/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.