MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 91 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Banned
    That darkness is the lead, it past the smash test.

Boolit Buddy
    I size, PC, bake then re-size and crimp on the GC in one step. I get black streaks also. The streaks are from the aluminum GC's begin swagged onto the shank of the boolit and they wipe off easily.
    Last edited by ipijohn; 12-24-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Magana559 View Post

only problem is I do not want to spend a bunch of money on a PC gun and supplies before I know it works. So I come here and ask if anybody is willing to send me 100 PC 124gr cast boolits .356 diameter cast out of a Lee 6 banger TL RN boolit mold with Harbor freight black coating.

I know it sounds like a lot to ask but that is what im going to buy and that's what I need. Ill be up for paying for the boolits and postage If anybody is willing to help I would be 100% thankful!

Thank you very much!
    You can try it for yourself for $5 (assuming you have the ability to bake them). Go to HF and buy their red powder paint. Dry tumble your boolits in a tupperware container with a handful full of boolits and a 1/4 tsp of paint. Tumble for a few minutes until you get full coverage on the boolits. Bake them for 20-25 minutes.

This will give you approximate results of an ES gun. You may find you prefer this method (gets around having to stand up all the boolits in order to coat)

Using the piglet method with great results
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master
    Can someone post the item number of the HF regulator y'all are using? All I've seen reference to is $6, which is meaningless if they change the price.

Is it this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi...uge-68223.html
    Seems like a lower pressure gauge is needed to be able to fine tune below 20#.

Vendor Sponsor

that one will work just fine .. I have been using one similar .. works just fine
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have several of these on my main air feed line and they work perfectly!

banger

Just as I thought, Santa brought me a HF spray gun and red, blue(from another source), and black powder. I used the red on 2 small batches and they turned out fine, albeit the second batch was darker. Going have to work on temp/time control in the future. Coated .45 TL LEE 230 gr set on small nuts to keep them from adhering to the foil, however, they did stick to most of the nuts. They came off easy though and I'm pleased with the overall results. Cleanup was sort of messy.

Can't post pics as I haven't learned how to yet, but trust me it did happen.

I'll try the smash test tomorrow.

Happy, happy, happy.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    This is the one I got. It actually was $6 even, a month ago.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/125-psi...uge-68219.html

That is ONLY an air FLOW valve with a gauge........ NOT...repeat NOT a pressure reducing regulator. If you hold your finger over the end, the pressure will build up to the max the compressor has. Designed to be used on constant feed air paint sprayer guns where you control FLOW....not PRESSURE.

Notice it says "...maintain proper AIRFLOW."

You need to get the one listed above which is a true pressure reducing REGULATOR.......set it at 10# and no matter the flow it will be 10#.
    (until you max out your airline CFM capacity)

That is the only one that will operate the gun in the right way......LOW maintained pressure.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Okay... maybe it only works for me because i got the air regulated at the tank. Thanks for the correction. I'll delete that post so I don't mislead people.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Mr. Banger is correct. Try this one- http://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi...uge-68223.html

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
    Mr. Banger is correct. Try this one- http://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi...uge-68223.html
    As I tell my wife.........."Mr. Banger is ALWAYS correct!"

For some reason.........she ALWAYS ignores me! Even after 39 years.

HA............ha!

Beagle.........it can be a bit confusing if you are not used to pneumatic stuff. Just glad to help guide people in the right directions.

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    they did stick to most of the nuts.
    I had the same experience until I put Reynolds non-stick foil over the nuts. I now do the same as beagle, the nuts are JB Welded to the tray and the foil is placed over them, slightly mashed around them to create pedestals for the boolits to sit on. The foil can be used a second time but beyond that is pushing it and will need replacing.

If you have pictures on your computer it's easy to post them. Right above the box you type your post in there's a row of icons, the 4th from the right end is the one to use. Put your mouse over them to get their purpose and find/click the "Insert Image" icon. Be sure the 'from computer' option is selected and go find (browse) the picture filename. You'll be invited to 'upload images'. The picture will show up right where you left the cursor when you were typing your post so put a carriage return (Enter key) in your post before and after the [IMAGE].....[/IMAGE] stuff to place the pic where you want it. You'll get it after the first time.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy

I'm getting excellent results with HF paints and Acetone. Got a convection/toaster oven from Lowes for $30. I waited until the big holiday sale was over and all the ovens were gone then asked to buy the display. Got 2 ovens this way. Got a $30 one for $9 and a $79 one for $27. The cheaper one isn't convection. I found I got better results with the convection because the temp is much more consistant inside. The non-convection had hot spots and cooler spots. It actually melted 2 of my bullets that were directly beneath the element yet the ones in front close to the glass door never got hot enough to get a good glaze.

No more lubing for me. This is quick and easy and they shoot like jacketed but leave a cleaner barrel.

ADMIN

You still have to size them.

What is everyone doing for sizing??

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They'll slip right through my Lee sizer easier than TL coated ones. Coating adds about .002 to mine, and sizing is slick! I have seen posts by others who are putting them through their lubesizers, but without the lube.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    You still have to size them.

What is everyone doing for sizing??
    Buy the ~$18 Lee lube & sizing kit and throw the LLA away. Get one for each cal you cast. I size each boolit after casting and then again after coating (ONE coat). Some do not do the 1st size.....I prefer that method.

DO NOT USE ANY LUBE!

Very cost-effective method!

banger

Boolit Bub
    I am also doing the pre and post sizing. I have not done any without that process and my accuracy with my handgun rounds is excellent. I have a couple of rifle moulds on the way and will do the same with those.

Boolit Master

I was at Harbor Freight last night and noticed that the red, black, and white powders were $3.99 per 16-oz container. The yellow is still at the regular price.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes...........heads up..........

HF powders are on sale I believe thru Jan 20th or so.

Yellow (which does not work for us anyway) is not on sale.

I cleaned my local store out on the 31st!

banger