Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 48 of 130 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Master
    I coated 50 bullets, they were 45's. Took them out and shot. Accuracy was great, but smeared the barrel.
    This barrel is notorious for leading, it has lead deposits with everything I've shot, slow/fast soft/hard it doesn't matter.
    Smearing of the powder coating was minimal, but still a pain to clean.
    My question is how about PC bullets, resize and lube, think that would cure the leading?

Most insulation is only good for 600 volts. These run at 10k volts. My thought is that arcing may kill the power supply. Bayjoe is the barrel really rough? Did you get color in the bbl or black residue? I've shot 500 or so in 40 without any leading or hard cleaning.
    Last edited by popper; 05-14-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Pics say It all .. 458 socom 500 gr Subsonic Powdercoated loads
    Seating depth was determined by max length that would feed from the mag.
    NO load development .. These we the very first loads I tryed with these molds
    No residue or lead left in barrel.. 1 Patch 1 push and barrel was completely clean and shiny
    ..Attachment 70608Attachment 70609
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.

PCd using my new rig this morning, worked quite well even as just a test. Only 1 not completely coated. Easy to load and move to the oven, no twisting or hard work to remove when done. When they cool I'll remove or clip the pins. Hand inserted pins only go in 1/16" so should come out easy, I'll clip the gun inserted ones, ~ 1/2". That gun with pressure will drive them all the way into the lead. I should be able to do close to 200 in the 2 rack oven. I need to make the holes in the board smaller so they stand straighter, a thinner board so contact is made on the bottom instead of the top foil. Hand insertion isn't that bad, stick a pin in the tool, clip so only 1/16" shows, place on the nose and tap with a small hammer. Kind of like preping brass, just takes a little time. The tool is an OK brand wire wrapping tool ~ 30 yrs old, had it in a tool box.
    Attachment 70624Attachment 70625
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    After reading through this thread a few times now I ordered the HF powder coat system with the black, and red powders. I have got to stay away from this place....This hobby to save money has cost me thousands. It beats living in a dark cave, and shooting a quarter of the amount of jacketed factory ammunition.
    Something that was brought up by Badwaterbill a ways back was using glow in the dark powder on keys and such. There are some glow dots that people put on the base of their bullets for a cheap tracer. Why cant we just use glow powder in our powder coat to do the same thing? seems like a logical solution for a low light tracer. If this works with the powder coat and all I would like to do a florescent green, with the green or yellow glow powder for a nice affect. It would make it easy to find your ammo in the dark. I would say use the red or orange glow powders but I don't think those are as bright. The boolit leaving the muzzle should be bright from the powder flash all the way down range. Easy to dig out your boolits from the berm at night as well.
    Already went down to the thrift store and found a nice 2 tray toaster oven for 6$.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoe View Post
    Okay got a chance to shoot those bullets I painted from the paperclip hangers. Good News is they shoot great, as good if not better than my Berry's Plated. The barrel was very clean afterwards .. maybe too clean. Don't know if I should worry about barrel wear, it was so clean that one run with the bore snake and cleaning was done. The bad news is that the paperclip method waste too much paint compared to just sitting it on a pan, inconsistent on the sides but it covers the bottom really well. Going to try something new this week.

Attachment 66927Attachment 66928
    Zombie ammo! Take that Hornady...Now make them glow with the glow powder in the powder coat. I would love to see these in bright orange glow. The 80's called, and they want their dayglow jogging suit colors back. You have to have a mullet to shoot this stuff.

Pulled the hand inserted pins with NN pliers - easy and only a small divit on the nose. With a little care, the pins are reusable, but why? Pins are ~ 1 gr for 1" pins. Even clipping will only leave a fraction (~0.2) of a gr in the nose. An .062 split roll pin has an ID of .038, come in lengths up to 1", vs the somewhat costly tool I used. I separated the pins from the strip with acetone, easier than a box knife. Tried 2 layers of corrugated cardboard for a holder, works fine after 10 min in oven, no smoke or fire. Just punched holes with pin on a CB. Glue some foil between the sheets and a metal plate underneath. Thought about a piece of balsa wood so I don't need to drill holes, it's soft but after a PC it should be tougher, add a stiffener to keep it from warping. Hmmm. Now to figure out an alignment tool for the noses, out of some plastic tubing, cap on top with a hole in it. What fun I'm having.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper
    The barrel is a Clark national match with a compensator. The barrel has always leaded, but always around the throat.
    I don't think the barrel has 50 jacketed bullets shot thru it. I guess i'll break down and buy some copper and put a couple hundred thru it and try to lap it.
    Unless someone has another idea

bayjoe - don't know anything about the bbl, assume 45 acp? Maybe post a boolit thread and someone can help. Yes, the PC should solve the leading problem, reduces smoke, etc. Possibly you have a reloading technique causing the problem? The streaking I don't understand, many of us have shot close to 2k fps without problems.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Pics say It all .. 458 socom 500 gr Subsonic Powdercoated loads
    Seating depth was determined by max length that would feed from the mag.
    NO load development .. These we the very first loads I tryed with these molds
    No residue or lead left in barrel.. 1 Patch 1 push and barrel was completely clean and shiny
    ..Attachment 70608Attachment 70609
    OUTFREAKIN'STANDING!

I mean just not the groups, but your pics as well. A guy who actually includes all the pertinent data on the target. You sir, win the internets today.

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks for the compliment. Been doing it this way for a while .
    File targets for ones I want to keep and the ones I really don't want to go back to..
    keeps me from repeating old mistakes..years from now all that info will still be there

Got the pin gun to work pretty well, only goes in ~1/4" and pulls out easily. I put the CB in a PVC pipe with a towel as a catcher and nailed the meplat. The pin hits the nose and the whole thing goes about 3' to the towel. After a couple tries I could even hit center on the small nose of the 308. Works pretty fast. The cardboard holder works well keeping them upright for coating and cooking. The fallen 1's were hand inserted, occurred during cooking. 100% coverage, about 15 sec. to get coated. Now to load and see if still accurate. Did some 308 GC to see if coated GC makes a difference. If not, I'll scrap the other rig I made.
    Attachment 71074
    Got some nippers @ HF, clipped the pins flush. HF pins are ~$5/8000. I was surprised that I used so little powder, fully coated the boolits. The cardboard has a very, very slight coating on it. Don't think I even need the foil sandwich. I'll make another, using old clays boxes, drive pins in to make the holes instead of the sewing needle I used on the first. Actually think I can use closer spacing, get > 100 on a plate. Think I'll try it on the 40sw & some gifted 9mm RN, nailing the base vs the nose..
    Last edited by popper; 05-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, for those who are PC'ing these things, do you size the boolites before and after or do you just size them after the PC process??
    One other thing I would like to know, do you have to lube the PC boolit before you run it thru the sizer? Or do you just run it thru without any additional lube?

Boolit Bub
    With a friends help, PC'd some 235gr 45 HP with a haphazard jig I came up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	922676_10151600524557188_1366201643_n.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	71077

Loaded them up and tested them this weekend.

Name:	919589_10151600965742188_1624341997_o.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	71078

Started work on a jig for powder coating and baking some .311 from a NOE mould.

Name:	964473_10151610729867188_56708433_o.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	71079

Lonely Raven same CB I use, couldn't keep them from falling over. I size rifle 2 times without lube in a Lee. Just post size for 40SW.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Lonely Raven same CB I use, couldn't keep them from falling over. I size rifle 2 times without lube in a Lee. Just post size for 40SW.
    Thanks for the tip - I'm still figuring all this out. I'm really tired of pan lubing. I just make a sticky mess and the completed rounds don't look as pretty as plated or PC Cast.

May look Rube Goldberg like but the pin gun thing really works good. I can even hit the 0.2" meplat on the 308 without problem.
    I modded Bumpo's calc to add cost for finished per 100. 40 = $10, 30-30 plinking=$14, 30-30 hunting=$16.50, 308 AR=$24 - GC & more powder. That includes amortizing the PC and pin gun (10k rounds) which I didn't pay sale price & rotometal lead.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, so just run the PC boolits thru the sizer and be done with it?? I would be trying this with .452 45 acp HP's.

Vendor Sponsor

yes That is correct PC then run thru sizer .. No lube required

so far I have tryed this with Pure lead PC 458 socoms .. no leading but not great accuracy
    switched to 94/4/2 nearly 1 hole groups .
    300 Blackout in both subs and supersonic, 308 in both and 45 ACP
    no leading in any of them..and they shot great..
    getting ready to try 50% lead 50% COWW Pc'ed 38 special and 45 ACP

Vendor Sponsor

just ordered a Cabine tree hardness tester so I can get more accurate harndess reading of my lead alloy batches