RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: products that are probably good but you still dislike

Banned

products that are probably good but you still dislike

1. any rifle chambered in 270
    2. barness tsx bullets
    3. ziess conquest scopes

What do all of these have in common. There the favorite choises of internet experts everywhere. Man buys a 270 and instantly thinks hes a knowlegable rifleman. Load some tsx bullets and you are almost on the pedistle. Stick a conquest on it and you can about be the moderator of any rifle forum on the internet!! I can bet my life on one thing. Make a post about any of those three and the experts will come out of the wookwork.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting point Lloyd. Back in 2008 I went to Africa and used a Ruger 77 in 270 win, I shot 130 TSX bullets wi RE22 powder and left the Zeiss scope being with the PH.

As for being a moderator on a forum, I don't view that as a sign of knowledge or skill. It may mean the person is liked by the head of the forum or has the time or people skills to keep things under control. None of that says they are necessarily an expert on the subject.

I hate Internet experts. I take advice from people I know or who have demonstrated a firm knowledge and skill level that makes me believe they know what they are talking about.

What I find most interesting is that some of the people who get the best results use minimal equipment and tend to keep things pretty simple.

Boolit Master

Well I have a 270 bolt action. One I built myself on a Mauser VZ24 action. It shoots extremely well but I have'nt used it for 12 years. I also have a Zeiss Conquest scope, right now it's not mounted on anything. Most of my hunting guns have Burris or Leupold scopes.I got the Zeiss below wholesale and it's a good scope but not worth the price IMO. I don't have any TSX bullets because I have'nt figured out how to cast them. All of my hunting for the past several years has been with cast boolits.

Larry

Boolit Master

I hate 270's, most likely because Elmer hated them.

I loathe Barnes new TTSX bullets, mainly because all my load data and COAL dimensions are based on the original X bullets. They don't make a 95 grain 243 anymore but claim the new 85 grain will give the same performance. Ask them a tech question and get back a one liner...... here is the tech sheet for that bullet, thanks for using barnes...

ZIESS Scopes. Ok, but for the price i can buy five Luepolds and still outshoot you.

Lets see who jumps Lloyd....

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    2. barness tsx bullets
    3. ziess conquest scopes

What do all of these have in common. There the favorite choises of internet experts everywhere. Man buys a 270 and instantly thinks hes a knowlegable rifleman. Load some tsx bullets and you are almost on the pedistle. Stick a conquest on it and you can about be the moderator of any rifle forum on the internet!! I can bet my life on one thing. Make a post about any of those three and the experts will come out of the wookwork.
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Well, I happen to like the .270. Dennis

Boolit Master
    I just don't understand the use of a .270 Win. Why would anyone want to take a great round like the 30-06 and neck it down to use tiny ity bity bullets?

Boolit Master

Probably for the same reason the .308 got necked down to hold itty bitty bullets in 7mm, 6mm (.243), ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    2. barness tsx bullets
    3. ziess conquest scopes

I've never loaded any tsx bullets and I've never owned a ziess scope but I've always had a 270 around since the 70's. I'm definitly not an expert. Just a guy who enjoys hunting. Don't have one in the Encore yet . Its a great starter rifle. My 12 year old Grandson just love's shooting it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I don't really have any shooting related dislikes come to mind but anytime this kind if thing comes up there is always one big one that jumps right out front and forces me to shout. It has been this way since I was in high school in the late 1950's and I have never gotten over it. Tried several times over the years, spent good money after bad and it always gave me the same feeling of "why in the hell did I do this again?"
    The THING is anyTHING built and marketed by General Motors.

Boolit Master
    Shouldn't the Win .264 Magnum be added to the list?

Boolit Master

I always thought the 30-06 was the internet gurus gun. Guess I'm wrong and not a guru

Boolit Master

What's a tsx bullet? Does it shoot black powder?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Inline "muzzle loaders".
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

well so far you guy's have gotten the 270 and inline muzzle loaders that are on my list.
    you can't use an inline here anyway except during rifle season.

never could figure out the 270 it shoots 10 gr lighter bullets and at 15-k higher pressure to beat the old 7x57 by 100 fps.
    i alway's thought it more sensible to just up the x57's pressure window.
    or just go with the 280.

and third on my list is long range hunting.
    you have to walk over there anyway to retrieve the animal, just walk half the distance and then shoot.
    that way you don't have to haul the weather machine, computer and three spotters with you.
    and you can start tracking that much sooner when something does go wrong.

Boolit Master
    777 pellets or any pelletized powder for muzzle loader . in all the powder charges i have tried 50 and 100 are almost never used or most accurate for any gun i have tried

ans it smells strongly of the dumbing down of society , don't think for yourself just buy our pre packaged easy to use product , pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Boolit Bub
    While I have to admit to not owning a 270 for over 30 years, I have a soft spot for it. It was my first real Deer/Fox/Coyote/Prarie Dog rifle. When it's the only rifle you have,,,it can do anything, right.

When I purchased it (Rem 700 ADL with a 3-9 Weaver Wide Angle scope for $147.00), I did extensive research (IE: I could afford it being #1). #2 was an article I remembered from Outdoor life about a family of guides (Benoit Brothers if I remember) in NE Canada that guided several hundred clients/yr. They claimed the two best "one shot killers" in their experience was the 270 with 130 gr bullets and the 35 Rem with 200 gr.

Can someone tell me why I can remember silly stuff like this from something I read 45 years ago, but forget to pick up my bride from work???? And I'm still on the low side of 60.

Oh well, it's bullet placement combined with bullet construction that gets the job done. Most calibers out there will do the job as long as you don't ask them to do something they weren't designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Inline "muzzle loaders".
    Absolutely agree with that.
    The whole inline idea seems as wrong to me as falling up.

Dillon Progressive Presses.
    Weatherby Cartridges.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Peite Steak-need a cowboy cut
    Jumbo Shrimp
    Submachine gun-i want the hole thing
    Electronic cigerette-nothing better than a non-filtered Camel on the first day deer season
    Lite Beer-if you want to get hammered then go all out

In Remembrance
    I have to agree with Waksupi and Greencountrypete. I don't hate them, but they are just wrong in my mind.

I have never fired a 270, but know at least 2 guys that has had them as their only rifle for at least 40 years,and knocked mule deer down pretty much every year. One of them is still using the powder and bullets he bought in the 60's, he loads a box every year before season.