MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Rossi Mdl 92 repair

Rossi Mdl 92 repair

Started a thread a few days ago on issues I am having with the wifes Rossi 357 92. Bad extractor. Just a little to "short" to catch the case rim, (it doesn't appear to be broken) maybe a little worn, however with as few rounds that have been through this rifle I find that hard to believe..finally received an answer from the "warrenty" shop in Tulsa, OK on the purchase of a new extractor. "No can do" they say, all they have in stock are "blanks" and I'll have to send the rifle in to them so they can cut and fit it to the rifle. Cost....parts, $20.00..labor and safety check, $75.00..test ammo, $4.00..UPS and insurance, $22.50....total $121.50...not including shipping to them.....$389.00 gun that may actually work.....priceless...not..I find it hard to believe that they must "hand fit" every extractor for these rifles. Something don't smell right to me...gonna try callin a local gunsmith and see if he can get one...

Boolit Master

Steves Gunz has what you need and fittting is farley easy as I put one in my wife's Rossi 92
    45C. The overall configureation of the new extractor is the same as your old one but has metel left on it(mostly at the rear) for fitting.
    All I had to do was file the rear of the new extractor for flush fit with top of the bolt and maintain spring tension for proper extraction.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    Steves Gunz has what you need and fittting is farley easy as I put one in my wife's Rossi 92
    45C. The overall configureation of the new extractor is the same as your old one but has metel left on it(mostly at the rear) for fitting.
    All I had to do was file the rear of the new extractor for flush fit with top of the bolt and maintain spring tension for proper extraction.
    +1 on Steve. But I'd send him the rifle. Taking a M92 down is a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Good Idea except I'd have to send it to him in pieces... I have e-mailed him a couple times but haven't heard back. I know he's busy, busy, busy so I'll just wait to hear from him....

Boolit Master

Do the m92s have lifetime warranties?

Boolit Buddy
    Did you contact rossi? I bought a new rossi 454 and it had the same problem, contacted rossi and it was send them the rifle or they would send me an extractor. Got the extractor but it promptly broke a piece off the hook, finally just to the old extractor and started slowly toremove material on the hook.Finally got it to work, but then after it started working and I put a number of rounds through it I noticed it had what appeared to be chatter marks in the rifling which really collected lead. Finally returned the gun to Davidson's and have requested a different one. Only problem they had/have no 454 so guess I will be waiting until rossi decides to run a batch of them and then with fingers crossed will hope I get a good one.

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I did not have to disassemble my Rossi 92 to work on the extractor. I removed the pin holding the extractor with the bolt in the receiver . It will just clear the receiver when the bolt is fully to the rear.

Exblaster

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not 100% certain I am following the "short" part of this, but what was short on mine was the claw - right out of the box. I modified my extractor by removing some metal to provide clearance for it to engage the rim. It has been working fine for over a year and I shoot this rifle more than anything else.

Not to scale

Exactly what you have there Jeff. The "claw" is to short to catch the rim. Believe me I've taken mine down thinner than you're picture. It'll pull an empty case about 1/2 way out and then "let go"..piece of cr@p...yes I've talked to Legacy International (importer for this model) their reply was to contact their repair facility in Tulsa, OK. THEIR response was all they had were "blanks" and I'd have to send them the rifle so they could "machine" it to fit. Cost minus my shipping was 121.00 dollars...($20.00 for parts) sure, can't wait for the post man..

Boolit Master

It'll pull an empty case about 1/2 way out and then let go"
    Sounds like either the angle of your "claw" is more than 90 deg.( and slipping off the rim) or spring tension is insufficient to hold the extractor against the case sidewall till the ejector flips the case up.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Exactly what you have there Jeff. The "claw" is to short to catch the rim. Believe me I've taken mine down thinner than you're picture. It'll pull an empty case about 1/2 way out and then "let go"..piece of cr@p...yes I've talked to Legacy International (importer for this model) their reply was to contact their repair facility in Tulsa, OK. THEIR response was all they had were "blanks" and I'd have to send them the rifle so they could "machine" it to fit. Cost minus my shipping was 121.00 dollars...($20.00 for parts) sure, can't wait for the post man..
    There was at least a vestige of a claw on mine. See if they will sell you a blank or try this:
    http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/factory_parts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Sounds like either the angle of your "claw" is more than 90 deg.( and slipping off the rim) or spring tension is insufficient to hold the extractor against the case sidewall till the ejector flips the case up.
    Mine was basically very poorly ground. Someone was leaning a bit too hard and too long on the grinder when they ground the front lower angle that allows it to cam over the rim. The burr on the end of the claw was doing more work the what was left of he claw.

Boolit Mold

Ditto on Jeff H.. .. I called Rossi when I was having the problem and they said they would send me a new one, no charge..In the meantime I had nothing to lose so I filed mine down over a year ago and it is still working just fine, and I still have a new on in a bag.. I found the old extractor to be VERY soft.. Charlie