WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Boolit Buddy
    Don't stop Pat!!!! the only thing that I see as a problem with your check maker----- is which one do I get first? being on S.S it does limit my ability to have all my wants at once. As I see it, yours works great for the home and a freechex would be just the thing for using in the boonies. To me, that is the best of both worlds. OH,yea-----I'm retired so as have a lot of time to do the "two step". In NO WAY is this to disparage Charlies gear----It's just that I see both tools for separate uses. Both are HIGH QUALITY!!!. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofyoldfart <aka Goofy, GOF and Godfrey>
    Last edited by goofyoldfart; 10-22-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: forgot word
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Looks like this thread was revitalized after some time--is the discussion still unsettled? Well of course it is! Personally, I've never used a Free Chex. I got a couple of Pat's Check Maker sets on a whim of good luck and great timing. When I got them I still had quite a supply of Hornaday checks, so I tested Pats just to get familiar--then put them on the shelf with the thought "I'm gonna be darn glad I have these one of these days..." Every once in a while I'd pull them down and punch disks for a while, toss 'em in a zip-lock, and put 'em back on the shelf. Some other time I'd pull everything down, punch out checks for a while, toss 'em in another zip-lock and put everything away. Before I knew it I'd have to start filling another bag... Now, I could probably go years without punching another check before I'd have to drag them back out from necessity.

Well, fast-forward. It's taken a long time to burn through most of my previous check supply--and I still have a few hundred of them left. I have thousands of aluminum checks besides and hadn't done much more than tinker with a few loads till recently. Not long ago I started playing with powder coating boolits. Well, after using my tumble method, the PC paint increased the shank size just enough to make the hornaday checks not fit. Wiping the shank of every boolit prior to baking was a tedious PITA. But... Holy-heck, the checks that I made early on with Pat's dies slipped on snug, crimped nicely, and finished perfectly. So... now I'm driving PC'd cast boolits through my AK with frightening accuracy and top end velocity. Pat filled the needed gap--just long before either of us knew. Liked the security of having them before. NOW, I'd never part with them because they're necessary to my current boolits.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Banned

THanks for the compliments and the good results...!

I started making Checkmaker™ dies in late 2008 (starting with 30 cal), so we've come along way. Major life changes as well along the way, but now I have a nice shop with 4 CNC machines, in addition to the manual machines I started with and all dedicated to my products. Just now starting to feel production sliding into a much faster gear with 5 years of perfecting the process, but still more to do. Folks don't realize what an undertaking doing something like this can entail.

The die design has stayed the same and is proven. I've upped QC and improved along the way, but after numerous dies sold over the years, I've only had a handful yet to be returned. You guys have helped me make a living doing something I enjoy that I believe I will remain doing as long as I can stand God willing, so that will be many years to come.

Pat...

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal, 30PB cal, 303 British cal, 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 32-20PB Winchester (includes 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police), 348 cal, 348PB cal, 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm) 38-55PB Winchester Cal, 375 cal, 375PB cal, 40/10mm cal, 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 41PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

COMING SOON...
    -more calibers including:

22 cal standard, 22T cal (tall), 22PB cal, 22PBT (tall) cal, 25cal, 25PB cal
    6.5 cal, 6.5PB cal, 405 cal, 405PB cal ,480 cal ,480PB cal, Percussion Cap Dies.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have sat here & read all 7 pages of info, as well as some of the bickering. I ignore the bickering,, as I wish to learn more about GC making.
    I have several boolit molds. Some are shanked for "factory" G/C's. And, some are PB molds. I buy molds to cast a boolit to do a specific job.
    Knowing there are "options" to being able to add a G/C to a PB boolit is interesting.

I have visited the two makers websites, and I do have a question, not noted on Pat's web site.
    There is no place to find out how much you charge for a "Checkmaker."
    Where can I find pricing?

Ok, two questions,, when are you going to have a 480 Cal Checkmaker?

Banned

Here's prices on my website:

http://www.patmarlins.com/Checkmaker...s_and_Ord.html

Email me for more info or an order request.

Send me a 480 sample and I'll add 480 to my production catalog.

Thanks ...

Just sent you an email Pat, want to buy a couple of plain base boolit checkmakers.
    Look forward to your reply.
    Cheers

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info Pat. I'm copying this info to pass along to my better half as part of my Christmas. If I don't get one for XMas, I'll order one later AND send a .480 to you as a sample.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Question: Can both the Freechex and Checkmaker produce good checks from beer and soda cans? I've been using checks made from this material with perfect success, purchasing them on auction sites.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Did you say PERCUSSION CAP DIES!!!!!!!!!! Yahooooooo!!! I want one for #11 caps please Sir!!! Dang Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! While you're at it I'll take a .22 standard set as well

Boolit Buddy
    Celt, do a search for "Tap a Cap" costs about $35 and is available from most reloading supply houses. It is a one step die that forms a percussion cap out of pop can material and uses roll caps, its been around since the 70's, I plan on buying one even though I'm not into black powder but do have a few ML's and caps can be hard to find in my area.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Celt, do a search for "Tap a Cap" costs about $35 and is available from most reloading supply houses. It is a one step die that forms a percussion cap out of pop can material and uses roll caps, its been around since the 70's, I plan on buying one even though I'm not into black powder but do have a few ML's and caps can be hard to find in my area.
    Thanks for the "heads-up" JKH, I'll check it out. I would LOVE to manufacture my own percussion caps. I think a wet primer slurry would work as well as a roll cap if not better (see the thread on re-loading primers).

Boolit Master

Forster "Tap-a-Cap" is a discontinued item and is not available anywhere I could find!!!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I have owned/used both tools.

FreechexII- Performed very well and made checks like it was supposed to. It is the kind you wack with a hammer. I made a board/box setup so my formed gas checks fell into the box. I could really crank them out.

Checkmaker 35PB- Performed very well. Required two steps to create checks. Before yonky came along you had to use aluminum beverage can material. A pain, but necessary. Now with Yonky's material on the market I see the PB tool being another option for me. The only thing I did not like about the Checkmaker was the shock of punching the disks. It made the reloading bench rattle.

With that being said I no longer own either tool. I had a check making tool made by one of the members on this forum and it suits my needs better.
    Could you possibly tell me which member made you the tool and how to contact them

I got the free chex that you use the hammer with....love it. In the future i want to try a Pat Marlin to use on my press. I'm quite sure i'll feel the same about it. It's just neat to be able to make your own checks.

Boolit Master
    Can the freechex 3 produce pb checks for 9mm ?
    what is the optimal thckness for 9mm?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Can the freechex 3 produce pb checks for 9mm ?
    what is the optimal thckness for 9mm?
    No

And it depends on the gas check shank on your mold. Most of my 35cal checks are .008 but some molds require slightly thicker.

Boolit Master
    Plain base molds

Boolit Master
    mmm ok so ill just get the 35 PB for my 9mm

Boolit Buddy

I use the cheap Lee Reloader Press for my bullet sizing. Will this press work with the checkmaker by Pat Marlin? For reloading presses I have a 650xl and a SDB.

It works on mine with .35 cal checkmaker.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal