RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Note to self

Note to self

Welp , not to self, 6.5 mm deep hollow points dont do too well in the power coating oven on higher temps like their bigger .316 cousins.... Was only running hem at like 360° after getting the paint flowing....ugh they where sized and gas checked to ....o well , was hoping to run them through the AR later today but what can ya do

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I think I would get a thermometer for that oven. Just to make sure.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

O it's got one was reading 350 when I went and checked

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

put your hollow points upside down on a nail, the powder coat wont collect inside the cavity and they bake better
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I overbaked some 277-135 to where they were bent once. Now I’m using an old convection oven with a timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

OOPS !

If at first you don't succeed ... lower the temperature !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    They look fine. Just load em up anyway. Now you're going to get to enjoy a real treat - whenever I have screwed up some powder coated bullets and had to toss them back into the pot, you get that wonderful aroma of burning carpet and home perm wafting through the area. Oooo it stinks! Well, look at the bright side; at least you didn't have this problem on a 100 round batch.

Boolit Grand Master
    That sucks. I am no expert but it takes a bit of heat to get that result. And 360 seems too low.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    That oven wasn't 350. I cook .22 cal boolits all the time at 400. Lead will not melt at those temps.

Most small ovens are all the way on or all the way off. Make sure you pre-heat and your cycles don't go too long.

Boolit Master
    I only see a small amount of bullets in that damaged batch. I am wondering if perhaps since the oven is set to run at full off or full on, there is insufficient mass to accept the amount of heat you are producing. Maybe adding some ingots to act as heat sinks would make a difference. I am thinking that we already have shown that as a casting pot gets lower, the temp of the alloy gets higher, even though the pot cycles at the same rate. Maybe the small number of bullets shown in the photo is misleading.

Boolit Bub
    That oven was hot.

Boolit Buddy
    oven has hot spots......put a cheap 1.00$ tray/pan on the top shelf to shield the direct heat, I agree with one of the top post....360 degrees did not do that

Boolit Buddy
    I cure mine at 450 to start for 10 minutes then down to 400 for 15 or so and have never melted any. I even bake mine with masking tape on at the 450° and nothing... I posted here in coatings and alternatives how I had dropped a bullet in my little oven and baked it for 3 consecutive heat cycles at 400° +, all that happened was the powder coat turned smooth like glass/clear coat. My bullets are just about all lead. Just for your and your family's safety, you may want to check your oven as others have stated or at least don't leave it unattended while you cure your bullets. Good luck, hope you find a solution.

Boolit Master

Maybe run your Easy Bake oven with a PID?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Could be they are too close to the element/s. Convection fan ain't circulating?

Boolit Master
    Those little ovens are notorious for uneven heating.

Had my PC oven set perfectly but bumped the thermostat while moving it. On the next PC attempt I found several lumps of colorful molten lead on gas checks.

It was a real tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little ovens typically have the thermostat outside the heating portion causing outside temperatures to affect like when the Little oven that could sits next to an outside door in the winter and someone keeps running in and out.....location makes a lot of difference!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cook.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	326850
    This works real well with the PID attached. And I don't knock over any rifle bullets.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cook.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	326850
    This works real well with the PID attached. And I don't knock over any rifle bullets.
    Popper is this a tile on a hot plate? I have considered heating bullets from the bottom. I do heat bullets from the bottom when I am filling hollow points with hot glue, especially the softer varieties I feed the glue into the hollow points in tiny pieces. It slowly melts and air bubbles rise to the top. Touch the bubbles with a sharp tooth pick and they pop. Not for everyone, but I enjoy the process. I fire hollow point pistol ammo into stacks of dry telephone books as that causes many hollow points to fail to open. I could never the a Black Talon to open. They opened fine in water jugs, but dry phone books are a real challenge. My Federal's 45 ACP 230 grain Hydrashok only opened about 50% of the time. I wasn't all that impressed with Hornady Critical Defense either. But hot glue filled hollow points opened 100%. Never fired them thru drywall yet, but I am confident they will open. I suspect if I filled JHP's with hot glue it would ensure they open as well, but I have not tried it yet.
    Last edited by Spector; Today at 02:42 AM.