MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on S&W 19

Boolit Buddy
    Let me un-muddy the water a bit. It has nothing to do with the pressures, but everything to do with bullet weight and velocity. A light bullet does not bridge the gap between the chamber and the forcing cone enough to prevent gas blow by and hardening of the forcing cone. Compounding this, the light bullets moving at high speed hit the bottom of the cone disproportionately from the top, due to recoil and the bullets inertia. Keep your bullet weights above 158 grains, and your loads within safe limits. Preferably, use 160+ bullets (I find they like heavy bullets better, anyhow). Never, ever, ever, use 110 gr, or 125 gr, as these are NOTORIOUS for ending your guns life very, very quickly. Save those for N and L frames, those forcing cones won't ever crack, come hell or high water.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very well explained, thank you, Sir!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm the proud owner of a model 13, did some intense-ish research when my friend told me about this. Thank you

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot. I am older than dirt and I no longer enjoy recoil at all. Even with an N frame Smith in 41 Magnum I keep the loadings light. The steel or paper targets do not know the difference.

I shoot a mild 45 Colt loading in my Ruger BH. Ditto on .44 Special loadings for both my Charter Arms Bulldog 2.5" tubed revolter and my Ruger Bisley BH with the 5.5" tube.

I shoot my 1911 with as light a loading as I can get away with. Ditto on my 9 MM loadings.

As far as loadings for my Smith 586 w/6" tube I also keep the loadings light.

I have factory loaded rounds ready for all the above for carry use but I do not shoot them very often.

If I want pain then I shoot my buddy's 500 Smith Magnum with the 450 gr slugs. One cylinder full is enuf for me.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the K-frame and .38 Special +P are pistol perfection exemplified. If you plan to shoot a lot of magnums of any sort you would probably be better off getting a larger gun designed for them from the ground up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Do .38 Special 125 gr +p loads affect K frames in the same manner?

Boolit Buddy
    To my knowledge, I have never heard of anyone managing to bust up a .38 K frame with non-magnum loads. Keep it under 18.5K PSI, and I doubt you will hurt anything.

Thanks. I have a 65 and I shoot the high end of +p. I don't currently load anything but 158s, but it would be nice to broaden my horizon.

Boolit Master

With my model 19's I have fed them a steady diet of .38 ammo in std. and +P, and .357 ammo loaded to the same specs. But I try to use nothing lighter than 140 gr. bullets either cast or jacketed. I use facory 158 gr JHP for "serious social work". Stay AWAY from the 110 and 125 gr. jacketed bullets and you Mdl 19 will have a long and happy life! Mine have been going strong for 30+ years on this fodder.
    The Mdl 19 Combat Magnum is one of the finest revolvers ever made! Treat it right and it will outlast you!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master
    About 7-8 years back, my old agency had to switch out the long-used 110 grain JHP +P 38 Specials, because Winchester quit selling them. The back-stop was the Remington 125 grain JHP +P, and it remains the issue 38 Special load at present.

I called a staffer at the Academy in response to a question asked above concerning stress induced by these loads. He told me that to date none of the agency or personally-owned 38 Special revolvers currently in use (over 400) have shown any ammo-related issues involving the Rem 125 +Ps. The majority of the revolvers are J-frame S&Ws, BTW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot. I am older than dirt and I no longer enjoy recoil at all.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! Any more all I want is a bullet with enough energy to move the steel around a bit to show the hits. I would not worry about a "K" frame with any level of .38 spl loading.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle