Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolets in a glock?

Banned

Boolets in a glock?

I know you are not supposed to shoot lead boolits in a glock 23 (.40S&W). Does anyone here do it? What does it hurt?

How about Lyman #2 out of a glock?
    Last edited by David Bachelder; 05-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.

I got a Glock 9mm in 1987 when i turned 21 (before it was unsafe to shoot lead in them).I used hand cast Linotype bullets or cheap hard commercial bullets.I never had a problem.I bet i shot 5000 or more rounds through that thing with lead.

George

First off, I do not have a Glock and can not relate anything personal to your question. I do remember reading a article, on the web, from a guy who was also curious about the safety of shooting lead bullets in a glock. Unlike the rest of us, he had access to equitment where he could test pressure levels.

The first few shots were normal, I forget how many that was. Then as he started getting a lead buildup, the pressure kept climbing until it got to a unsafe level and he stopped for fear of the gun, and him, being damaged.

On the other hand, you will see statements by many glock shooters that have shot many rounds of lead bullets and no problems. If I ever buy a glock and wanted to shoot lead, I would purchase a aftermarket barrel with standard rifling for lead shooting, but that is my personal decision.

Banned

look for the sticky.
    "the truth about lead in glocks" found on this sight.

Banned
    Read several posts on lead and glock barrels. Most seem to agree it's a bad idea.

Decided to play it safe and ordered a Lone Wolf Barrel. Now I can shoot lead and no worries.

Boolit Master

I had shot thousands of cast boolits from my Glocks before i had read about 'Glock kaboom.' Proper loads don't lead, loads that lead can develope dangerous pressure in any firearm. Sized and lubed properly and cast boolits work fone in any firearm. I had my worst leading in a. 41 Mag, and the least trouble with .40 S&W. Frank

Boolit Master
    Shot 50 rounds up in my Glock barrel G22 gen3 and lead aweful. I can shot over 200 rounds between cleaning in the Storm lake barrel and no problem. I load the 40 very soft and wimpy.

In my G21SF cast works great in the OEM barrelel.

Boolit Bub
    Have a G22 and G27 ( and hope to add a G23 to complete the stable). I bought a Lone wolf G23 barrel (it fits the G27) for a$100. I think of it as cheap insurance. Everyting I read about the .40 and Glocks lead me to this conclusion.

YMMV,

skink

Boolit Buddy
    I've been shooting lead in Glocks for more than 20 years in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ACP. Haven't blown one up yet. Keep the barrel clean and reasonable lead free and don't shoot hot-rodded rounds. If it really concerns you buy a cut rifling barrel.

WP

Boolit Grand Master
    KB'd two Glock 22's

Then went with the Aftermarket barrel and the issue went a way. I attribute both to the unsupported chamber. All the brass from the glock barrel had a ring at the base after being sized. This shear line area area was where the cases let go.

No shear line on brass fired through the FAC barrel after sizing.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    My 23 has had no leading problems with the OE barrel. I have a Lone Wolf barrel too, but it leads a bit. Go figure? The OE barrel seems more accurate too. Both work well.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    If I ever buy a glock and wanted to shoot lead, I would purchase a aftermarket barrel with standard rifling for lead shooting, but that is my personal decision.
    Why would anyone do that? Spend what a Glock costs and then another $150 on a barrel. The XD is as good as a Glock or better, operates the same way and already has a rifled barrel.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855
    Pretty much anything that has been or can be said or argued about cast bullets in a Glock is here.

My own personal summation of the issue: they work fine if you do it right. Doing it right simply involves the same techniques for avoiding leading in any other gun: proper diameter, lube, and (to a degree) hardness. It seems that (from my understanding) if you don't do it right and have a leading problem, the consequences can be worse than they are for traditionally rifled barrels.

Some people seem to think that there's something magical about Glock barrels that will cause them to explode when exposed to lead, even if there is no leading. I had one guy tell me (from behind the counter of a gun shop no less) that you can't actually see leading in a Glock no matter how hard you look, but it's still there. Magical invisible leading.

I shoot lead in mine, but I'm not a high volume shooter. I won't buy an aftermarket barrel, but don't blame those that do. It's not a bad idea for peace of mind if you're concerned about it, and as Shiloh mentioned there's the advantage of a better supported chamber.

Has a Gen 2 22C Glock and shot 15,000 plus boolits through it over the last 18 years.

It hates soft casted boolits and going for above 18 BHN I never had a problem whatsoever.

Clean after every serious target practice say 200-400 rounds and make sure 100% clean of lead.

My Colt 45 1911A1 also hates soft lead boolits and accumulates more lead than the Glock with same hardness boolits.

My opinion lead fouling is the culprit not the gun. Pay attention to the Glock's requirement and you have a gun for life no Kabooms.

Vendor Sponsor

I wish I could have been the first poster on this thread My statement would have been "everyone here shoots Cast Boolits in Glocks!"

Read the sticky mentioned by Fatelk above on cast in Glocks the subject is covered Ad-nausem.

Don't believe the nay sayers, they really don't know what they are talking about.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

There is a sticky here about this very topic. I do shoot a Lyman #2 equivilant in my G36. They do just fine. It is a handful, but accurate and cheap. Mine likes the Lee TC 230gr.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Glock's official stance on handloads in general and lead in particular is "Don't do it!", and this is undoubtedly because they cannot control what every yahoo might conceivably send down the barrel of his pistol.

Glocks, HK's, Desert Eagles, etc..., have a different bore profile than what is thought of as "the standard", and they do seal gas more tightly than conventional lands and grooves. As such, they are going to be more prone to pressure spikes caused by leading. If you are aware of this going in, however, you can control the variables of diameter, hardness, lube, and velocity accordingly.

I would never shoot store-bought cast bullets of unknown composition in a poly-bored gun, and I would apply a healthy dose of careful scientific experimentation to find the happy combination for my particular weapon before I fired up the Dillon and cranked out a jillion rounds, but I wouldn't fear lead out of hand. On the flip side, if you don't have the mind or the patience for all the experimentation, the aftermarket barrels are cheap insurance.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    All major gun makers say their warranty is void if you shoot your own reloads through it...

Of course you can come up with a cast boolit load that works in a Glock... But just like any other barrel, if your fit/hardness/load aren't the right ones for the barrel, you'll find that you have a leading problem. It's the nature of the beast... Getting good shooting results with cast boolits is not for the faint of heart, like lawyers who tell gun makers to void their warranty for hand loaded ammo... It takes someone who is willing to put in the time to do it right....

Worst leading I ever had was using a 22LR conversion in an AR... time to sell both of mine...

Hmmmm.... maybe I'll head over to Swappin' and Sellin'....

Boolit Buddy
    I would go as far to say that poly rifling is better than standard when shooting lead.

Why would anyone do that? Spend what a Glock costs and then another $150 on a barrel. The XD is as good as a Glock or better, operates the same way and already has a rifled barrel.
    I actually did laugh a bit when I read this!
    please, don't feed the trolls!

Boolit Bub
    I shoot Boolits in my 22 with great results. Shot them in my 20(10mm), nothing high speed. Tried them in my 17, but couldn't keep the last 1" from leading. I'll may attempt the 9mm again, now that I have some more experience under my belt.

Just watch that barrel for leading. True for any firearm.

"Da Kid