Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: My CZ 550 Safari in 375 H&H after the first 3 weeks.

Boolit Buddy

My CZ 550 Safari in 375 H&H after the first 3 weeks.

I am still shaking out this gun. Not as an elephant rifle, but, as a 3/8 inch rifle that is a beauty in a caliber that should let me do what I want.

I am in at about 325 rounds now (hand loading) and have the action smoothing in nicely. I do have some issues with the left side feed (Jams) but, only if I am shooting VERY short bullets (.375 x 130 gr cast). Right side feeds ANYTHING.

I am about to go after the trigger now. It is ok as set from the factory, but, has too much creep and too much travel in the Non-Set mode to suit me. The set is pretty fine, but, I may take a few ounces off there as well.

I called CZ USA and then sent me a larger diameter Front Bead for the express sites. This helps me imensely. I am 62 and was losing the tiny white bead on the original site on the LARGE VERY WHITE stripes on the express rear sites.

I have settled on a 1.5 x 6 (true 4x) scope mounted with Warne CZ 550 Quick Release rings. I suspect I will set up a second scope in a seriously higher magnification for longer range use. The accuracy I see so far would seem to justify a long range scope for 300 to 400 yards (to me). The issue will be recoil vs long range. I have a very pleasant 6.5 that will reach out to 450 easily and a not so pleasant 300 Rum that will drop elk sized game to 700. I may just keep the 550 CZ for 6x shooting if that makes sense.

I am a reloader so I can afford to shoot this rifle at a 100 round per session cycle. I already found that the 100 cases I purchased originally are probably going to "just fit" into my game. I purchased the Redding Full Length Dies and the Lee Collet Die set with the FCD as well for this rifle. I am now going back to pick up a Redding Neck Sizing die. I am using different components from each die set as needed to load a specific bullet and application. (I even have hijacked the .377 neck expanding mandral out of my RCBS 38-55 die set which allows me to seat .379 and .380 sized cast lead without crushing the cases).

As a side note to cast shooters, I find that with a .377 sizer, the bullets will load easily into a case neck diameter, but, the .379 will need a little care in seating if using only a case mouth bell. Both .377 and .379 shoot in my rifle without undue leading. .380s as cast will load with the use of the RCBS Mandral and will chamber without issue.

I am playing with bullets both cast and jacketed. Currently I am shooting from 130 gr cast pb to 267 gr gc cast and from 200 grain jacket to 275 grain jacket. I am working on getting a 400 grain mold (actually I think it is 395 gr) and have yet to go to the 300 gr jacketed.

I have to say, that so far, the 550 Safari American has lived up to ALL my expectations. I am truely becoming attached to it.

I will post targets and load information as I really settle on what is working.

Thanks to all and all for now.
    rc
    Last edited by rhouser; 02-06-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    Own the same rifle but in the left hand version. Love the fact it will hold five down and that the scope bases are built into the action. My only complaints with the rifle is the stock is pretty bulky and it needs to lose about 1 pound. Mine wears a Zeiss 2.5x8 scope in quick detachable rings. So far have only shot 300 grain Hornadys in it and the rifle is very accurate as most big bores are.

Look forward to reading about your experiences with the 400 grain bullets as I am wondering if the rifles rate of twist is fast enough to stabilize them.

Boolit Buddy
    Snowwolf. the 400 grain mold is owned by Redneckdan who posts on this sight. I am trying to get some samples from him. He offered to cast me a few when he can get to it and said he would give me the mold specs if I like them. You should find his posts with a search. I don't know how to post a link or I would. I shoot a heavy 45-70 bullet on occasion, but, this heavy 375 really looks like it would be the real deal for penetration with a hard cast.
    I will keep you posted. thanks rc

Boolit Master
    I have had pretty much the same experience with my CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in 458 Win mag. The only thing that has been down the tube, except for at the factory, has been cast and paper patched. It probably has about 6-700 rounds through it so far, and has become the rifle that always goes to the range with me. I like the larger sized, bulkier stock, it handles better for me than more traditional sized stocks, but then I'm a big guy as well. (6' 1" and 230 pounds, with big hands)

I like the set trigger. I use the Warne QD rings as well, and like them once I got a few bugs worked out. I put a Leopold Mk7 in 2x6 power on the rifle. Like you, I may have to get a higher power scope as well for longer ranges.

The chamber and throat on my CZ 550 is a bit on the generous side, and that caused me a little struggle to start with; but that, too, is starting to get sorted out.

I have not experienced any feed issues with mine from the left or right side. Even shooting 230 grn paper patched pistol boolits from it. Try working the action "smartly" to see if you still have issues. I did have some issues with some Oregon Trail Laser Cast where the meplat was just too big. They went into the pot and became 8mm boolits for the Mauser, so no loss there.

I like mine. The only thing that I would change is the safety. I'd put a three position, Winchester Model 70 style on it, but that is just personnel preference. Not a thing wrong with the factory safety at all. Good luck with yours and enjoy that safari rifle, they are a lot of value for the money!

Boolit Buddy
    Check out this smiths web site if you are a CZ fan, click on the CZ owners button:
    http://www.hunting-rifles.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    Check out this smiths web site if you are a CZ fan, click on the CZ owners button:
    http://www.hunting-rifles.com/
    It's funny to be called "American Hunting Rifles" when they use only CZ actions.

Boolit Grand Master

rhouser

While my three six bits is a M70 I shoot a lot of cast through it. Mostly I use the Lyman 375449, 375248 and Hornady .375 RBs (or I cast them). My 357449s when fully dressed run right at 270 gr. I cast them of WWs + 2% tin and WQ them for top practice loads. For hunting I add 50% lead and AC them. For top end practice and hunting l load them over 50 gr of 4895 and use a 1 - 1 1/2 gr dacron filler. These run at 2200 fps and are quite accurate. A much gentler load is the same bullet over 36 gr 5744 with no filler for 1860 fps and excellent accuracy.

With the 375248 PB I'm finding 10 gr of Bullseye to be an excellent load. It's right at 100 fps and is very good for plinking and small game.

The 375 RBs are lightly coated with LLA and loaded over 4 gr Bullseye for 900 fps and very good accuracy to 75+ yards. a great load for grouse, ptarmigan, rabbits and hares for the pot.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    It's funny to be called "American Hunting Rifles" when they use only CZ actions.

Not funny - the CZ Americans have American-styled stocks ILO the humped-backed Euro stock on the Lux models.

The .375H&H CZ550 Safari American is a sleeper - a quality rifle at a bargain-basement (comparatively) price.

The only thing I did to mine was to move the forward sling swivel QD eye/stud to a barrel band type, & fill the old stud hole in the forestock with a .375 cartridge head inlay.

I used Burris/CZ rings because they had twice as nice the finish as CZ rings @ half the $$$$; and mounted a Leupold 1-4X VXIII.

I was surprised to find, and really like, the 2nd recoil lug, ahead of the normal Mauser lug.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I hope to get some time at the lead pot tonight to cast some of the 375 heavies for you and da other guy.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have owned a BRNO 602 in 458WM many years ago, great rifle, but i would only feed 500Gn bullets.

My 375H&H is an el cheapo SPS 700 Remington. I couldn't get brass when I bought it and ended up finding some interstate for $75 for 50 plus postage, which would have worked out to around $170 for 100 cases . The local gunshop sold me 120 270Gn Federal Factory rounds for $210 . Works for me! I usually buy 120 cases/rounds so that I can always come up with 100. Boy those babies in the 7lb Remington really jump about! I am using them to run the barrel in at the moment.

Great cartridge. When I get a passel of empty cases I will cast up some boolits. I don't knwo if they will feed as they are moulds for a 38/55. There is a group buy for a 375H&H mould starting up at the moment, veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tempting! Great cartridge.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    rhouser

While my three six bits is a M70 I shoot a lot of cast through it. Mostly I use the Lyman 375449, 375248 and Hornady .375 RBs (or I cast them). My 357449s when fully dressed run right at 270 gr. I cast them of WWs + 2% tin and WQ them for top practice loads. For hunting I add 50% lead and AC them. For top end practice and hunting l load them over 50 gr of 4895 and use a 1 - 1 1/2 gr dacron filler. These run at 2200 fps and are quite accurate. A much gentler load is the same bullet over 36 gr 5744 with no filler for 1860 fps and excellent accuracy.

With the 375248 PB I'm finding 10 gr of Bullseye to be an excellent load. It's right at 100 fps and is very good for plinking and small game.

The 375 RBs are lightly coated with LLA and loaded over 4 gr Bullseye for 900 fps and very good accuracy to 75+ yards. a great load for grouse, ptarmigan, rabbits and hares for the pot.

Larry Gibson
    Larry,

What OAL are you loading to? I just got a Ruger # 1 in .375 and it likes the 375449s but I am seating the bullets so that two lube grooves are exposed. I didn't like seating the bullets deeper than the cartidge neck.

Boolit Grand Master

My OAL with the 375449 is 3.483".

Larry Gibson

Thanks!