Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Artichokes

Boolit Master

Artichokes

Its that time of the year when you can get good fresh artichokes. Easy to mix and great with a good steak.
    Had same of supper tonight.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Recipe/pictures?

Boolit Master

This is basically what I do, I use bottled lemon juice.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how..._an_artichoke/
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Thanks!

Boolit Master

There really isn't much to preparing them, i haven't tried the small ones on the grill yet, but we've been eating them like this for many years.

Love them!! I generally use straight mayo (only Best Foods/ Hellmanns) so I'll have to try the mayo/balsamic vinegar dip..
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

Planted two last year, one drowned, the other one gave us 4 artichokes this year. Leaving that one cause I think they last multiple years and produce, planted two more in a raised bed this year.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Planted two last year, one drowned, the other one gave us 4 artichokes this year. Leaving that one cause I think they last multiple years and produce, planted two more in a raised bed this year.
    I planted two in raised beds this season. Wonder what they'll do. . .

Boolit Grand Master

been eatin them things once a year since I was a kid. We cook them in a pressure cooker with a squirt of lemon juice.
    Once they are done, everybody gets a dish with salted and melted butter in it, and one artichoke.
    You dip the leaves in butter and scrape the meat off the leaves with your teeth.
    Once you make it down to the really tender ones inside, I usualy just eat them whole, no scraping required.
    Finally, the big moment arrives when you have worked your way to that inner core, the heart of the choke. You take your knife and cube it up into little squares and drop them into the dish with the butter! Then, oh, pure heavenly tidbits of deliciousness!
    Its quite a production, but the way the meal plays out, its worth it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Steam them, place in wide-mouth bowels or on plates, gently press them down and spread the leaves till they lay as flat as possible, drizzle with zesty Italian dressing, and sprinkle with diced raw garlic. (Don't be a wus and not chew the garlic.)

Artichokes are an example of bigger is not better, as the leaves of the larger ones are much tougher.

As for growing them: The self-professed "Artichoke Capital of the World" is wafted by cool ocean breezes, endures many months of foggy and overcast days and nights, and year-round mild temperatures.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Oh, Lordy, I'm just waiting......
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    For a real taste treat try stuffing those things. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-artichokes/

Boolit Grand Master

The stuffed artichoke we make are basicaly like the allrecipes.com one except we use Italian bread crumbs or Progresso Itialian or Progresso Plain bread crumbs. If you don't have access to Progresso products just make plain bread crombs with itialian bread and season with the oregano and garlic. That bread cubes may just be a typo because the stuffing recipes I have seen all call for crumbs. Use a 50 / 50 blend of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. If you like Romano cheese use it. We make ours with either or a blend of both.

Use good OILVE oil , not vegetable oil in the recipe. after the chokes are stuffed and set in pan for steaming , drizzle tops with olive oil and give each a little lemon juice squirt ( some people put a thin slice of lemon on top in place of lemon juice squirt ) whichever you like...the lemon juice adds a little flavor to the chokes.

gary
    cajun with an Italian wife from New Orleans who can cook .

Boolit Master

Did some medium ones on the grill yesterday, trimmed the points & cut the top down a 1/3 then cut in half lengthwise, cut the cut out (the hairy thing in the middle) steamed for 20 minutes, then brush cut side with olive oil grill face down for 19 minutes low fire, turn and grill 5 minutes then serve as usual.

Boolit Grand Master

The " hairy thing " in the middle is the choke . I think it's called that because if you tried to eat it you would choke.

Another good grilling method is to marinate them in good old Wishbone Itialian Salad dressing before following Tom-ADC's recipe .

My son likes them marinated in Itialian Dressing and just steamed . If you don't have the grill out they are tasty that way too.

Boolit Master
    There've bees some good advice here on how to cook up the chokes. anyone else have some good advice on these?

PS. I've notice on various gun related forums - there are often threads about cooking. I wonder why that is?

Smile

I Love artichokes!

When we lived just off Highway 1 about 20 miles or so N of Castroville (the Artichoke Center of the World) I got to eat a lot of them. I fondly remember one year when I could buy 10 mediums for $1. I gained weight that year.

Hard to get any good ones here in Idaho, though.

There are two kinds you may see for sale, the old Globe with a sticker on the tip of each leaf and meaty leaves, and the new hybrids with no stickers and little meat.

I like the Globe in the medium, 24 to 28, size. The leaves are very tender and they have a very small hairy choke, some didn't have any developed choke.

Trim the tip 1/4 to 1/3 and break off the tough leaves just above the stem. Cut the stem off even with the bottom and steam the 'choke, tip down, until tender. I peel the stems and toss them in too.

Mix real mayonnaise with a bunch of finely chopped garlic as a dipping sauce. You can also use melted butter as a dip.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    I like the little ones, 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter. Just trim the base, through them into a pot of water to cook. To eat just pull off the dark leaves on the out side and eat the whole thing. They are small enough that you don't have to worry about the chock. It doesn't get any better

Carl