Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duplex patching

duplex patching

i been playin with some duplex loads and i gotta say that ill prolly get hung here for mentioning them but here goes anyway for those of you that practice or wonder about this seemingly forbotten loading.

shooting was done with a winchester hiwall hunter model with the 28 inch barrel for the first loads. the second loads were fired in my ruger #1 with its longer throat.

these loads consist of 10% smokless...[imr 3031] and the rest with the smokless grains subtracted 1 to 1 from the total black powder grains........example was the first load being 50 grains total with 5 of smokless and 45 black to total the origanal 50 grains desired.

so the first load was 5 grains imr 3031 with 45 grains goex 2f compressed .200 inch and wad was a 1/8th felt overpowder primed with a cci 200 large rifle and loaded in a sized remington case. the boolit was a bacco 45-500 slick boolit weighing in at 500ish grains with a flat base at diameter of .444 inch...wrapped in bacco's 9 pound onion skin two wraps meassuring in at .4515 inch. then the case opened with the only expander i have which is .455 inch... the boolit was tightened in the case with my rcbs full length size die with the de-primer pin/stem removed.

this load shot very clean and the debri out front told of complete shredding rite outta the muzzle. no rings left in the barrel and the duplex did its thing as i fired 5 shots without wiping or any lube at all. recoil was lite so the next load was a bit stiffer.

next i tryed 7 grains imr 3031 behind 63 grains goex 2f powders. all the same combanations as above except that the boolits had to be loaded further outta the case for the extra powders. this is the primary reasson for switching to the ruger for this load....first thing about this load is that it feels like a very stiff load thru the ruger. a small puff of air to remove the smoke revealed a very clean bore...almost as clean as a straight smokless load and with the acompanyed puff of paper bits in the air with the shot. this feels like a hunting load thru this ruger and i definetly will re-try it over the screens to see what velocity is.

all the cleaning i did with either of these loads consisted of 2 spit infested patches run back n forth twice for each and then following these with a dry patch to remove my spittle from an otherwise perfect bore then followed with an oily patch to preserve for the rack again.

all in all i have been having fun with this paper patching and im also doing it with smokless as well only patching up closer to the groove diameter. i like those as i can load em back without doing anything to the cases but slightly flair the mouth and reload them to shoot again with a rcbs hollow base slick boolit.

so there is my sordid story and my fun factor is rite up there. i think developing a hunting load will not be that hard with all the reading i been doing both here and other forums as well as the three books i bought for research into both the duplexing and paper patching.

hope i didnt ruffle too many feathers with this blasphemous uttering but there it is all the same

Boolit Master
    I think you need to maybe refigure the 1 - 1 ratio. Seems as though I heard it was a little more like 1gr smokeless to 3 gr black. I might be mistaken though. I was once.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    I think you need to maybe refigure the 1 - 1 ratio. Seems as though I heard it was a little more like 1gr smokeless to 3 gr black. I might be mistaken though. I was once.
    Pardon me for being blunt Giz!
    "My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family," Your Mother might have been right saying this.

If one doesn't know what duplexing can do you should not make a reply on a mix you heard about.
    A mixture like you mentioned will get some knot head in deep doo-doo.
    A 10% load will get you in trouble with a load of the wrong powder.

Bigted===That figure you mention about the duplex load is way off..You pushing more than you think you are..

I would liketo know what your using for an alloy
    in your bullet with this this load? If this is the bullet
    I think it is from BACO,,ISN'T IT a lead bullet?

I have thought of trying a duplex load but haven't went that
    route yet..John
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

yes i also read the 3 to one on black to smokeless...also got my recipes from a valuable source and feel comfy with my choice in mixures.

no the boolits i used are exactly the weight i described as i weigh them all and know what im playing with ...the baco boolits i mention come from my BACO MOULD i purchased from them...srry for not explaining that in the first post.

my components are closely researched before i ram them together and if i were to go into unplowed ground then i would do so very carefully and slowly with very small increments to keep myself outta trouble....hopefully!!

both mathews and others describe loads that are no more then 10% of the bp load and assure that they are safe for use. in fact mathews describes some for his ruger #1 loading as much as 15% of the bp used. a person needs to read these publications to ensure your loads tho and not take my word for them. the bpcr forum also has a section on just this thing...DUPLEXING...and i followed a recipe from there for my duplex first load. also some use lr-7 for the duplex in the 10% portion as well as some others that seem like pretty fast powders for the mix.

im very pleased with my success so far...[been looking for a paper patch load that would go well with bp in the hunting field]. rite now i have 5 loaded using a lyman 457643 400 grain boolit and i shoved it thru my .452 lee sizer with copious amounts of rcbs case lube for lubing the boolit first...[gotta love those simple tools]...and got a closed up groove portin of the boolit with a diameter of .452 on the boolit so when patched it comes to .4585 with my paper wrapped twice. this is intended for my marlin gbl 45-70 lever. the powder load is 55 grains total...being 5.5 grains imr 3031 and 49.5 grains goex 2f powders same cases and primers and the wrap stopped at the crimp groove which is smaller in diameter so i was allowed the crimp needed for running thru the lever... the compression was 1/4 inch.... .250 inch with the 1/8th felt powder wad...more news at 11 so to speak with these loads thru the lever action.

thanks for the warnings tho...im not infoulable and need the checks from time to time and apreciate the concern from fellow cranks of the shooting fraternity. these loads are a hoot for sure.
    Last edited by bigted; 03-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.

bigted.

If you stop and think a ratio like 1 in 3 what the load would be for some that have a large capacity case like the 110 or my .44 and .50 sharps that I use 100 gr and 115 grains of black powder in with a 700 grain bullet what the pressure would be with a load like that?
    The modern day Lawyers would have a feast with anyone suggesting a load like that.

yes i agree. the loads were and are mentioned for 45-70 alone. both mathews book and those i read other then regular publications also are loading the 45-70 gubberment alone. i have a 45-120 and i would NEVER load a 10% smokless load in it for several reassons including the horific preassure i believe it would cause....that would be 12 grains of smokless behind 108 of 1 or 2 f black powder...my goodness what a load that would turn into. that 12 grains of smokless would turn into36 additional grains of black powder which equals to a total of 144 grains of powder igniting inside a space designed for 120 grains...imagine the compression of this in a 45 basic case?

i feel and agree with Mathews view that 10% smokless powder in a 45-70 GOVERNMENT would be unlikely to ever be an overload just simply becouse any boolit that will back up a charge like this would never allow the space to overload with such a load and the paper patch boolits patched to bore have a definet lower preassure just becouse of the design of having to not crimp on the paper to maintain the integrity of the paper.

this may not be for everybody and i have to agree however there is much to be examined with these mixed "duplex" loads and i seem to see more that is good then what is negative about them........for instance...

the lever action loads i just made and fired thru my marlin are wonderfull to say the least. they are clean to a fault and scoot the paper patched boolit thru the barrel with never a boble or a tinsie bit of lead deposited even tho no lube was used at all and repeat shots are a thing to be expected with the coresponding cleanliness. ill get some accuracy tests done as soon as i can and post them and maybe ill see that they wont group worth spit but im gonna try anyway. cant imagine why they wont group but ill report on that later.

those 457643 lymans i sized down to .452 and patched back to the .4585 worked flawlessly. very clean and on my short cleared front yard they all wound up in 1 hole....yes it is very short...35 or so yards...perfect for doping out what to try for longer ranges and how they will react in my rifles

guess i dont understand the objections of this duplex loading. it seems to have a bunch of positives and not many negatives that ive heard so far.

Won't do any good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    bigted.

If you stop and think a ratio like 1 in 3 what the load would be for some that have a large capacity case like the 110 or my .44 and .50 sharps that I use 100 gr and 115 grains of black powder in with a 700 grain bullet what the pressure would be with a load like that?
    The modern day Lawyers would have a feast with anyone suggesting a load like that.
    Kurt

Save ya breath man! You may as well be out talking to ya truck tire! These guys know all there is to know! Let the idiots blow their friggin brains out....and then...we won't have to listen to the dumbazzes!!:takinWiz:
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    Kurt

Save ya breath man! You may as well be out talking to ya truck tire! These guys know all there is to know! Let the idiots blow their friggin brains out....and then...we won't have to listen to the dumbazzes!!:takinWiz:
    +1

Risking one's life and hard won guns for an untested notion? And for what gain?? If this notion had commercial merit, products would have been developed a long time ago. One poster writes "not many negatives that ive heard so far". Really?? I'm sure many of us would risk a catastrophic failure based on internet hearsay. Better to wait until Hodgdon, Alliant and Western et al., conduct professional testing and publish results. And then wait until an independent party tests and publishes confirmatory evidence. Anything else is like playing with IEDs. JIMHO.

Boolit Master
    Pardon me for being blunt Giz!
    "My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family," Your Mother might have been right saying this.

If one doesn't know what duplexing can do you should not make a reply on a mix you heard about.
    A mixture like you mentioned will get some knot head in deep doo-doo.
    A 10% load will get you in trouble with a load of the wrong powder.
    You are right, I don't do "duplexing". If I wanted to shoot smokless, I wouldn't bother with black at all. However, What I stated, wasn't exactly what I meant. Therein lies your warning. What I was thinking and I have read was to not use more than 10 to 12 per cent of the black powder charge as a primer, and it was reccomended to me that SR-4759 is about the best priming powder to use. But, I do know that it will increase pressure, maybe more in a vintage arm than you would need to. So, I choose to shoot black only. According to Paul Matthews, who did shoot with duplex loads, I quote,"it is generally recognized among serious black powder shooters that 1 grain of SR-4759 is equivalent to 3 grains of of black powder". Unquote.I did not name the powder for him that I was refering to, therefore I am guilty of spreading erroneous info. This info can be found in Pauls book The Paper Jacket on page 119, next to the last paragraph on the page. My apology for any misunderstandings.
    Last edited by giz189; 04-11-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: add info
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

It's been about thirty years since I read about the duplex loads used by the Canadian national black powder team but it seems to me they used a maximum of ten grains of SR4756 to keep the fouling down. But, I'm going off of memory here with only a cup of coffee and a slice of pound cake.

And maybe it was 4759. The pound cake is great.

there seems to be a bunch of folks that downtalk this duplex thing and what i started out to find out is if there are folks here that wouldnt mind sharing their info with me and not judge nor critisize the practice. it does exist and there can be no arguement with that statement. thusly here are a couple questions that id like to get some serious input on and not the half harted slamming i read from time to time...and yes this is a blackpowder question so bear with please?

what is the compared preassure rates of powders like imr 3031 and imr 4227 and rl-7 compared to blackpowders such as goex cartridge,,2f express,,plain 2f,,,and 1f powders? especially when combusted in a 45-70 cartridge with a 500ish boolit paperpatched?

what is the expected increase of fps and preassure with a loading of 10% of any of these powders when loaded behind the blackpowder main charge?

now i know that there are a couple folks here that have worked at powder plants and also folks that have degree's in explosive engineering and such so these questions should be straight forward in the answers to another whom is absolutly interested in the actual workings of these combo's instead of the hearsay that seems to fly with this kinda inquiry.

i nor anybody else that im aware of wants to end the straight bp shooting nor do i wish to change the rules for any competition...i just am in the stage that i have found an area that has great debate surrounding it and id for one like to dig down to the heart of the matter instead of just listening to some with the...[been doing this this way for years so why change]...attitude. this is interesting to me...a member here as well as other folks...therefore i feel it a kinda rite that when i have an honest question it should be answered with factual answers and guidance rather then the other type answers found here.

if im in the wrong place for this kinda inquiry then say so and ill inquire in other places away from here...just to be clear about my intent i have posted a like question on the shiloh forum and gotten fair and ussually kind and quality answers over there...so if im outta line ill ask my questions elsewhere

thats the problem Ted , nobody has any pressure data on the stuff you are dealing with ,
    you are in an area that isnt well documented by professional labratorys, and is an experiment , no matter what your argument is towards it .
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Ted.

My post wasn't intended to criticize duplexing or to flame you, it was aimed at the 1 to 1 and the 1 to 3 foolishness thing.

I went through this phase of duplexing when you could still buy a roller in good shape for about $20. and one with a black bore for less. Man that was 50 years ago
    Now I just tell people that I dont do duplexing because what I my self have tried back then.
    I took the old junk rollers and clamped them in a vice and with a long string of twine pulled the trigger and I have bulged barrels doing this when the smokeless got to much and using to fast of a burning powder.
    It does not take much smokeless to get clean burns, a .22 rim fire case full of the correct rifle powder is enough for a clean burn if your intend is not to gain the higher velocity.
    Duplexing completely changes the caricaturists of both powders.
    If your intend on pursuing this take care doing this.

In Remembrance
    Duplexing completely changes the caricaturists of both powders.
    ... never mind ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I think a GOOD DOSE of Bullsye mixed with 60 grs of FFFG (run thru a ball mill) would surely clean out the fouling!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    ... never mind ...
    Should have checked it on the spell checker characteristics

Boolit Bub
    Bigted, A lot of years ago I was a member of a shooting club in Orange Co. Ca. We had a lot of lead bullet shooters and a match once a month.
    One of the best shots used a 460 Watts. His load was "Case full of 4831 with enough RedDot on top of the primer that no unburned powder is left in the barrel after the shot". That is what he told me.
    Most of the guys there used a duplex load of some kind with great results.
    Take this for what it is, just information about some old ways.
    David