Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .30-30 Trailboss?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Use the TB for fertilizer and use a real "plinking" powder in your gun, like about 9-10 grains of Unique.

Gear
    +1
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Well I had another go with TB today! I loaded up some 8.2gns and some 9.2gns loads! There was no sign of tumbling at 50 yards at 8.2gns, and I got a couple of 1 1/2" groups at 50 using 9.2gns. So not excellent by any means I wanted to get 5/8 - 3/4" groups at 50 off a bench! But at least know I see hope for TB. One of the guys there was using 10.5gns with the same projectile and getting tight groups at 50 yards, it was blowing out to 4" at a 100 yards though. I don't like groups bigger than 2" at that range!

So I am going to try some more 9.2gn loads and 10gn loads next weekend. I will also try some 4198 loads I think 16gns!

Thanks for the input guys!

Trailboss in 30-30

I have taken on board the comments from Saz and Quilbilly.Thank you. Here is a first reasonable group with TB. It was wet and windy and leaning on a tree with my 50 year old Savage 24. I have peep sights fashioned from brass tube brazed onto old marbles buckhorn. The tupenny telescopic sight went foggy in the driving rain same location a month ago. We get about six weeks solid rain every winter in Tasmania. What muzzle velocity am I getting with 10.5 of TB? Previously tried 7.5 and up in 0.5 increments 4 inch groups at times at 25 yards. This load shows promise will try again at 50 and 75 yards and repost after the rain and wind abate. 115gr Erik HP stops hare and wallaby in one hit. I also have a 311465 Loverin and 311291 to work up possibly over ADI 2207 (4198). Any suggestions for 100 yard loads. JIM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shotcard1.jpg  

I've used unique and 2400 with RD165 PB. Neither has given great accuracy. The 100 gr half-jacket plinker works better. I don't use TB as I could only use it for 30-30 plinking and the $ is more. You could try H4895 so you can load lite loads safely or full power with the same powder. I'd sell the TB unless you have another use for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought th was pretty cheap but not terribly accurate. Have to try it in your own rifle. 4227 is also good for light loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    By the way, you might not wan't to shoot jacketed's with Trail Boss. I won't mention what makes me say that.
    Ok, I won't ask what makes you say that. I will ask theoretically what would happen if somebody was to shoot jacketed bullets with Trail Boss. Theoretically of course!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Ok, I won't ask what makes you say that. I will ask theoretically what would happen if somebody was to shoot jacketed bullets with Trail Boss. Theoretically of course!
    Your testicles would shrivel up and fall off.

Boolit Bub
    The loading data for jacketed is on the website. I have done it in .243, 30/30, 30/06..works well. and most importantly my testicles didn't shrivel up and fall off, lol

Boolit Mold
    trail boss is awsome just get rid of the gas check it won't helpat all and is nothing but a problemwith this powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Trail Boss - a solution looking for a problem.

There are so many better and less expensive options.

They actually are proud to advertise you cannot double charge and get an unsafe load. Yep - dummy down the reloading process and "encourage" a lack of attention and care.

I am with Gear on this. He is usually right anyway.

My experience

In my 30-30 336, I've used 2400 and Unique for plinker loads with good results. A friend enthusiastically recommended I try TB.

Last weekend, I bought some and loaded up some J bullets, 150gr. Hornady spire points, that I got from a clearance table with 10 grains of TB. No crimp.

I didn't have a chance to try them at 100 yards, but with a scope, on the Marlin and a good rest, they shot into less than an inch at 50 yards. which to me is way good. I'm reserving judgement until I shoot a lot more especially at 100 yards with TB.

I about to start looking for a CB mold/load for the micro-groovy Marlin and thought I'd get a base line with J-words.

(It might hurt my head to calculate the cost difference between TB loads and Unique 8-9 grain loads, but would be curious to know.)

Before someone calls me to task about spire points in a lever action: I put 1 in the chamber, 1 in the magazine--which is plenty for hunting jack rabbits and paper targets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Trail Boss - a solution looking for a problem.

There are so many better and less expensive options.

They actually are proud to advertise you cannot double charge and get an unsafe load. Yep - dummy down the reloading process and "encourage" a lack of attention and care.

I am with Gear on this. He is usually right anyway.
    So you've never made a mistake reloading?,must be hard being perfect. Pat

Boolit Master

I tried it with my first .38 level .357 loads. I was unimpressed with the accuracy at 25 yards. I will use it up and not replace it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    So you've never made a mistake reloading?,must be hard being perfect. Pat
    I have never double charged a load and have ways to avoid that. If you prone to making that kind of mistake, I offer these three options.

First, and my preferred method, is to use an auto-indexing progressive press and to pay attention. You can also use a powder check die or visually check the cases as they index. This is how I load all pistol.

Second, if you are using a single stage press, is to use a powder measure to drop your charge and then IMMEDIATELY seat the bullet without taking the case out of your had. This should insure you cannot double charge. This is how I load rifle cartridges. If this does not work, either find another hobby, or go to the next "solution".

The last option is to use Trail Boss and give yourself a good scolding if you get powder all over the place when you dump the second charge. And if you do that a lot, you should try to determine why you are having problems.

It is hard to be perfect but that is my goal and it should be yours. If you do not strive for perfection you will have poor performance at the very least, and a gun in pieces at the worst. I have seen the results of the later and they are not pretty.

Don

I bought 2 cans of TB when it first hit the market. tried it in 41 Spcl loads in my 41 Mag Blackhawk. I STILL have 1 1/2 cans left. That's my answer
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master
    I'm one of those folks who takes simple precautions. One of them is to load such that any double charge overflows the case. I don't need advice on why that makes me less of a reloader or how to be as proficient as someone else who choses another method.

I am working with TB and SR4759 because they suit my personal choices. I've been around long enough to know just because some powder does or doesn't work for one person's rifle it automatically does the same in every other rifle.

Boolit Master
    I tend to prefer 5744 for my CB loads in my 30/30 but recently tried a 95% load of TB and got 1350 fps with the 160 gr rngc. For accuracy, it shot fine. As others have noted, I have also only gotten good results with TB at at or near full capacity charges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I tend to prefer 5744 for my CB loads in my 30/30 but recently tried a 95% load of TB and got 1350 fps with the 160 gr rngc. For accuracy, it shot fine. As others have noted, I have also only gotten good results with TB at at or near full capacity charges.
    What is your 5744 costing you? I just bought a pound for 33$. Seemed high. I got great results with it and a 311299 boolit and a savage rifle.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Paid $29 for an extra # of 5744 a couple weeks back. It is somewhat expensive but since the loads for it are smaller, it all evens out with such rifle powders as 3031 etc. Of course it is much more expensive than Unique per load since the charges for Unique are so small (10-12 gr). 5744 is also hard to come by at times which is why I keep an extra can around. I also like it in my 338 WM and my 444 for CB's in either.

8 grains TB with a .003+ 170gr RNFP, MOA is a 10" steel plate at 100 yrds. Shoots like a .22 out of my '94, perfect for my 80lb 9 yr old to shoot, and gives him the satisfaction of hearing a plink.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]