Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: OK, I'm Thinking Scope

OK, I'm Thinking Scope

It's yuckie but sooner or later I'm gonna have to use a scope to shoot very far. Looking down that road I'm thinking about putting a TC 2.5x7 pistol scope that's taking up space in the closet on a GM drop-in barrel. Any yall tried out such a configuration? Thinking that it would get the scope away from the breech end and the scope caps would make cleaning less threatening to the optics.

Boolit Master

I was in a pawn shop awhile back looking around and saw a TC 54cal with a barrel that had been drilled and tapped up near the rear sight for I am assuming a pistol scope. Good lord that rifle was ugly but the bore looked good from what I could see. I to some extent am part of the scopes don't belong on muzzle loaders, but as much as I enjoy shooting them, if there ever comes a time when I can't see the sights then I will probably put a scope on one. If you have to scope it to be able to shoot it then do it. Any gun is a tool and if the tool doesn't work for you anymore it is no good to you, so you either get rid of it or modify it to make it work for you again. If you like the gun but can't shoot it well do to aging eyes, by all means put a scope on it and get back to shooting with it, or go get you some eye surgery either one works, but I am sure the scope is less expensive and safer.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    You didnt really say what the problem is with your eyes but if it is like many of us older folks you may be having trouble defining the rear sight. As we grow older our eyes loose the ability to focus on closer objects. If this is the case there are two things you may consider. One is going to an aperature type of rear sight and the other is moving the rear sight forward to where your eye can bring it in focus. Many old rifles have several dove tails cut in the barrel for the rear sight for just this reason.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

Boolit Master

I'm with Boerrancher: scopes look like hell on a muzzleloader, but if it ends up being the only way I can shoot them you'll see optics on every one of mine. I've even considered the idea of using Picatinny rail and a detachable/repeatable scope mount to deal with the cleaning issue.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Most of my rear sights are fuzzy, some of which need to take a trip down the barrel again. Another option is to widen the space in the notch in the rear sight to allow more light in the sides of your sight picture. You can also go to a trade gun style, you can shoot better than you would belive without a rear sight, even head shooting squirrels with a smooth bore.

If you look at a picture of the long range muzzle loading shooters, what 451 Pete says, I have shot better than I would have ever belived.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Bub
    I'm getting to that point also where I have trouble seeing the sights. I don't know why I don't like scopes on muzzleloaders they had and used them in 1840, yes 1840.
    David

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if this would help you or not. It is a peep sight i made out of a thumb screw. It works well for me very clear. I also have a extra set of glasses i covered with black tape leaving a pin hole that also works well for me.

Boolit Bub
    I'm near sighted and with my progressive lens I can see back sight just fine but front sight is a blur and and so is target. I am only 48 plan to see eye Dr soon and see if we can correct my problem.

Boolit Master

Also something to think about is removing the back sight altogether. When I was a kid I had a single shot 22 that the rear sight kept falling off so finally I left it off, and killed just as many squirrels with it after the sight was completely removed as I did with it on. Look at the trade guns. There is only a front sight on them and they do pretty good.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Dug way, way back and found a No. 9754 TC scope mount to use on TC Hawkens and Renegades with the TC Recoil Proof scopes. It's the mounting system TC used without rings.

Time to look at bore diameters and projectiles. How far, how big, how fast in a 38" barrel. I really lean towards .54 but will be checking the numbers.

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of the Warne quick release type scope mounts. Have one on a scout set-up Marlin GS and on a TC Omega. The mount is incredible. I have removed it between shots and seen no change in point of impact or group size at 100 yds. vs. shooting with the scope on the entire time. Neither rifle is a tack driver but the sight system and rifles will better 2 1/2" at 100yds. for 3 shot groups. The scopes are a 1-4x Leupold on the Omega and a 2.5x IER on the Marlin.

Makes cleaning the ML easy.