Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 799

Boolit Master

Remington 799

It was with some trepidation that I opened the box containing my 799 after reading some threads concerning the fit and finish. Inletting on my particular rifle was well done with no obvious gaps and the entire barrel would pass the dollar bill test for free floating. There was a gob of what I would assume was some type of thermoplastic bedding the receiver in front of the recoil lug and there is a metal reinforcing bar inlet into the stock behind the recoil lug.

The action was a little rough, but some cycling of the bolt seemed to smooth things out. The trigger is nothing to brag about so I replaced it with a Timney.

I torqued the action to 35 inchpounds and started load development with IMR4198 and Speer 130 grain HP's but it just seemed to me that something slower burning was in order.

I opened a fresh jug of WC846 and started with 28 grains (light) and worked up to 30 with the initial test. Best group hovered around 1 1/2" for 5 shots @ 100.

I went to the range this afternoon with loads beginning with 30.5 and ending with 32.

The 30.5 and 31.0 loads exhibited vertical stringing and the 31.5 and 32.0 loads showed round groups.

I'll return to the range tomorrow and retry the 32.0 and also some at 32.3.

All in all, it's certainly a less rocky road to travel than my trials with a M77 in 7.62x39. The large scope is only mounted for load development after which I'll switch to one more in scale with the rifle.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Atta Boy Herb!

So .... Are you sayin your happy with your purchase?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    What caliber?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Atta Boy Herb!

So .... Are you sayin your happy with your purchase?
    YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    What caliber?
    7.62X39

Boolit Master

Herb...Thanks for the post. Think you made up my mind on getting one. I've only seen one in .223 and it too felt like it had a stiff bolt throw but was otherwise a good looking rifle as far as finnish etc.

Being as I have 7.62 X39mm boxer brass running out of my ears and loads of .30 moulds, it might make me a nice little plinking rifle.

Guess I'll go fer it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Beagle......I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I tried the 32.3 grain load this afternoon under some dismal lighting conditions.....under the circumstances it didn't do too badly I attribute the shanked shot in the second group to the "nut behind the trigger" Group 1 (on left) runs .632" 5 shots, 4 in .536", Group 2 (on right) runs 1.160" 5 shots, 4 in .660". I'm still learning how to shoot this little guy..........it doesn't ride the bags like my other rifles.
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 11-14-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Super Moderator

..................If you have some surplus 4895 start at 26.0grs. A casefull will probably be about 28.0grs. If no surplus 4895 start with 24.0grs of H, AA or IMR 4895.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Question

What neighborhood are those retailing for in the real world? Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve E.........

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    What neighborhood are those retailing for in the real world? Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve E.........
    They're listed at $500 to $600 on Gunbroker. Personally I'd rather buy TWO Stevens 200s...

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    They're listed at $500 to $600 on Gunbroker. Personally I'd rather buy TWO Stevens 200s...
    Unfortunately the Stevens 200 does not come in short action calibers, but I understand your sentiment. The M799s look sharp. I have thought about getting one in 7.62X39 or .22 Hornet.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

[QUOTE=RugerFan;
    While you can often get base model vehicles in a limited variety of colors, the Stevens Model 200 comes only with a gray synthetic stock and blued steel. Variety kicks in with calibers. You won't find base trucks with much in the way of engine choices, but in the Stevens Model 200 you'll find no less than [B]five short-action chamberings from .223 Remington to .308 Winchester.[/B] Available long-action chamberings include .25-06, .270 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield, you can also have 7mm Remington Magnum or .300 Winchester Magnum.

Unfortunately, 7.62X39 is not one of them. But the argument I keep having with myself is, why do I want to fool with that caliber when .308 is so easily available? I keep telling myself the 7.62x39 only has value as cheap loaded ammo. Anything it can do, and more, can be done with either the .30-30 and/or the .308. This exotic foreigner does attract us but our domestic models are every bit as good.

Cast Hunter

Yup, your right about the short action. I went to the Savage site and failed to see the short action link. Yes, a .308 will do anything and more than a 7.62x39, but...it's just a fun little cartridge.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Unfortunately the Stevens 200 does not come in short action calibers, but I understand your sentiment. The M799s look sharp. I have thought about getting one in 7.62X39 or .22 Hornet.
    Well not that short but the 200 does come in a .308 length action. I just picked up one in .243 to use as a donor action for a .250 Savage bolt gun.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Unfortunately, 7.62X39 is not one of them. But the argument I keep having with myself is, why do I want to fool with that caliber when .308 is so easily available? I keep telling myself the 7.62x39 only has value as cheap loaded ammo. Anything it can do, and more, can be done with either the .30-30 and/or the .308.

The advantages of a 7.62X39 to a 308 are just like the advantages to a 22 Hornet to a 223. And it's highly tapered while the 308 is very straight sided. That means that for horizontal shots, the the powder is naturally held back by the primer. No filler requirements and better ES statistics which may .... or may not translate into better accuracy at these levels.

So while you are shooting cast at standard cast velocities, you can have the piece of mind in knowing you are following what amounts to safer reloading practices at higher percentage load densities as the shooting industry recommends, while still producing light / economical loads. Or you can load it up and have a bolt action 30/30.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    The trigger is nothing to brag about so I replaced it with a Timney.
    Old thread, but wich Timney fits the 799?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blysmelter View Post
    Old thread, but wich Timney fits the 799?
    yes, me too( i have the charles daly in 223 and a 7.62x39 bbl)
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    I sent an e-mail to Timney and asked, the answer is that the triggers for Mauser (301) will fit. Guess I got to order one!
    Exellent service from Heather at Timney; she responded to my e-mail in less than an hour

Banned

7.62x39 only has value as cheap loaded ammo.

you obviously havn't check prices lately! OR availablility...

Boolit Buddy

C A, the Stevens 200 is a great base for a rifle builder.
    2 years ago I built a wildcat called the .250 Humdinger, sort of a .25 Souper improved.
    I used the 200 as my base and was totally satisfied.
    I'm now getting a long action one to make my daughter a .257 Roberts.
    I did replace the trigger with a Timney and my 'smith set it to 3lbs. 1 ounce.
    I only wish they would put the Accu-Trigger on them.

Blkpwdrbuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast