Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Pointy boolits in the 1911?

Pointy boolits in the 1911?

Forgive me for i am sure it has been covered before, but i know not what to use as search terms.
    the "pointy" bullet ( the sharp cone pellet gun looking things) Do those function in 1911's ?

These for example: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...76#post1334476

Thanks
    Dan

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    I guess it had never crossed my mind that they might not....
    I used 'em with success in my Glock and Taurus.
    May have to shuck a few thru the 1911 dry and see if they feed.
    BTW, my 210 mold comes out right at 230gr. Worked OK for me, as I just used data for the 230TC or RN

Edit:
    They feed and flow just fine in my shop, without firiing. No reason to expect they might not do the same at the firing line. I need to take the 1911 to the next pin match. I useta do good with it.
    Last edited by HammerMTB; 11-22-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Mine work just fine. They will mark the tip up just a bit if you cycle the pistol by hand. Seem to shoot okay?

Boolit Master

I was going to say "No Way" because of everything I've read before concerning the platform was geared to the round ball. After a long learning curve of getting an older one to "run" I am intrigued and want to try this boolit out.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    It depends completely on the gun. Some of the quality ones would feed empty cases.

Boolit Master

+1 on what Old Caster said
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Always worked in mine, and I have had over 20 over the years.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    I have an H&G 938 mould, which is the Dean Grennell-designed pointy bullet of approximately 185 grains. It looks like this:

Actually it's a little pointier but I must have flattened that one a little.

I find it's dependent on OAL. I have mostly shot it in three guns. The first one I tried it in (a 5" Kimber) liked it at an OAL that put the bearing surface/cone joint even with the case mouth. I tried it in another, a S&W Commander size, and it wouldn't feed a third of them, so I played with OAL . I seated them a little longer, so there was a little band of bearing surface showing above the case mouth like in the picture, and that worked. I tried the longer ones in a third gun (5" Colt) and they worked, although I felt a little "ker-chunk" as it fed. I have not tried the shorter ones in it yet.
    I don't recall the OAL figures now, or how much change I made. That's been at least a year.

And that's as far as I've got. I assume I can get a compromise seating depth that will work in all of them, but that Colt being a bit less than smooth with the longer ones makes me wonder.

It shot well though, so it's worth further looking at. I just haven't had the time.

A small surprise to me was the holes it made in paper. It made a clean hole almost like a wadcutter. I hadn't really thought about what kind of holes it would make in paper, but wasn't really expecting that.

I've got a 1911 I built that will feed empty cases and 230 round nose from 1.240-1.270 but it chokes on the Lee 200gr swc's unless they are almost exactly 1.180 overall. I find 1911's are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. I'd love to have a few handfuls of that Dean Grennell pointy bullet to try in it!