WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Another press for consideration

Boolit Buddy

Another press for consideration

Still on the fence about a press. Has anyone ever used a Forster Coax for swaging? If it would work I may get it and get rid of my other presses and just us it for everything.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/265...le-stage-press

Boolit Master

Hummm I've looked at this one before kinda didn't like the linkage arms I'm thinking that could a weak point,just my ..................................02cents

Boolit Master

For a few dollars more you can get the CH4D Champion Press that is actually made for swaging duties. It is also a fine general duty press.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone had any experience with the CH press?

Boolit Man
    I have both the Co-Ax and a CH CHampion press. I use the Heavyweight CHampion with CH-4D 44 cal swaging dies and love it. I also use the press for heavy sizing. I have some RWS 375 H&H brass that my Forster does NOT like to size without a lot of flexing. Only thing I found that my Co-Ax doesn't like but I sure wouldn't ask it to swage bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone have any good pics of the Champion press? The only picture I can find is the one on their site and it's not very good.

Boolit Buddy

Champion press

I don't have my picture anymore, but I believe I sent it to BTSniper and he may have it. PM him and ask him to post it or send it to you.

Boolit Master

Here's a picture Dave at CH4d sent me when I asked him for one...stating I couldn't see it very well on his website or find a picture on line. I sure wish CH4d would update their site to include a way to order stuff without having to call several times and some nice pictures of their awesome products.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_05511.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stealthshooter View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the CH press?
    The Champion is pretty much my main press. It's heavy duty and easy to get cases in and out of. It doesn't have a priming arm. Spent primers go through the ram and fall out the back of it (into a bucket), taking the de-priming mess away from the press. The ram is very large, much larger than a RC.

I'm not sure how long this press has been on the market. Dean Grennel had one and sang it's praises for swaging work using CH dies. He was under the impression swaging would one day surpass casting (ca. 1975).

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like a very nice press! The pictures on their site don't do it justice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stealthshooter View Post
    That looks like a very nice press! The pictures on their site don't do it justice.
    That's what I told them. Dave said their web designer told them to keep it simple (b&w?) so dial-up users could access it. I think they're losing sales.

Boolit Master

the Forster Co-Ax is a HOSS. It has significantly more mechanical advantage than any other press I have ever used. However, the dies do not screw into the press. They are held in place by slipping the locking ring into slot.

I am not knocking this arrangement. It is great for reloading but I am not sure it would work well for swaging.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    That's what I told them. Dave said their web designer told them to keep it simple (b&w?) so dial-up users could access it. I think they're losing sales.
    The very first press I ever owned was a USED C&H I bought in 1954 +/-.

If I didn't know better, I would think their web site was designed about that time.

It is the absolute worst designed and executed site I am aware of. I sure wish they would let somebody fix it for them. They are losing sales because the quality of the web site reflects negatively ( and unfairly ) on the quality of their products.

( Not that it is any of my business . . . )
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Vendor Sponsor

Well let's see. I've certainly used a fair share of different presses in attempts to find a good swaging press.

I haven't used a co-ax but as I understand it we can fit standard shell holders (swage base punch) in the press.

If you like to tinker the Lee Classic cast can be turned into a good swage press. You can easily replace the ram top since the tip 2-3 inches is a threaded on piece. If you drill new holes in the linkages you can increase the leverage. The adjustable arm has some advantages but is also a week spot. In it's standard form it I think it falls just under the RCBS RC in swage strength. Can't beat the price though at around $75.

The RCBS Rock chucker has a stronger feel to me in the leverage vs. the Lee. I have an older version though. Don't know about newer ones. Press has enough leverage to make any of the bullets I have made so far.

I have used others. The redding big boss. I thought the ram is soft and easily dings the shell holder slot and I don't like the lack of supports holding the links onto the press. The Laymen is a strong bodied press with only a 7/8" thread yet the linkages suck with a lot of cam over at the top of the stroke.

For a long lasting, dedicated swage press you may have to upgrade standard reloading presses a bit or look into a dedicated swaging press. I have not used the CH Champion press. I have seen it up close and it looks to be very good. I have not used any of the corbin type presses either but obviously they are more then powerfull enough.

Alot depends on how big of bullets you intend to make. Smaller bulets require less pressure. So what do I consider small? Probalby 357 and under.

To tell you the truth I was happy with the results from either the Lee or the RCBS. I looked at it in terms of $ spent vs. the amount of bullets made. $75-100 for a press is only 3-4 boxes of bullets. If I could make 5-10,000 bullets on a inexpensive reloading press before it gave out I was happy to replace it if need be. Then again somtimes it is nice to only have to buy somthing once in which case maybe the heavy duty CH press would be a good choice.

Don't know if any of this helped but if you can afford to get a better press go for it. If not either the Lee or the RCBS will work well. Lee if you want to improve with your own upgrades RCBS if you don't.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

I love my Co-Ax for precision reloading and started making dies for it initially, but quickly found that it was not up to the task. So I ended up fabricating the press that ANeat designed.

If you want to use a reloading press, stick with a Rock Chucker...

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the feedback guys!! The Lee looks like a very good choice due to the cost and the threaded ram. I've also been drooling over the CH press!!

Vendor Sponsor

My attempt at a simple break down.

Use as is cheap $60 - Used RCBS Rock Chucker
    Use as is $125 - new RCBS RC
    Lot of potential for upgrade $75 - Lee classic
    Probably best bet for long lasting heavy duty swage press @ $290ish CH Champion
    Top of the line Corbin or RCE or ANEAT $$$$$ or build yourself.

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 11-02-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    My attempt at a simple break down.

Use as is cheap $60 - Used RCBS Rock Chucker
    Use as is $125 - new RCBS RC
    Lot of potential for upgrade $75 - Lee classic
    Probably best bet for long lasting heavy duty swage press @ $290ish CH Champion
    Top of the line Corbin or RCE or ANEAT $$$$$ or build yourself.

BT

Best new press for potential up grading
    I seem to remember reading that you get a discount on CH dies. Does that apply to their presses as well?

Vendor Sponsor

Yep, I can offer any castboolit member %10 off any purchases from CH. What gets us is the shipping on their big heavy press. But seeing that you are in Id. and myself in Or. The shipping should be pretty reasonable. I'm placing an order the end of this week. If you would like a CH Champion press I'll certainly hook you up best I can. Simple math, take %10 off their listed price + actuall shipping rate to get it from me to you via UPS. To bad the press doesn't fit in a large flat rate box.

Send me a PM if you, or anyone for that matter, is interested.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!