Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Casting muzzle loader

Boolit Mold

Casting muzzle loader

Brand new to lead casting. Got some wheel weights and made decoy anchors this fall.
    Realized I was nearly out of bullets for my muzzle loader so I figured, I have lead why's not cast my own.
    Here is where I need help. I have acces to wheel weights, some old lead shot(2&4), some old lead .38 swc ( from when granddad reloaded), and some sheet roofing lead. I have not dug into all of the hardness/ chemical make up that can be associated with this process. I'm using this strictly as a hunting load for my 50 cal Hawkins style rifle. Shooting 60 grains of powder 360 grain maxi ball. So the question is, which lead would you all suggest? One of the above choices, or a blend? If blended can you recommend a mix.

Thanks you in advance.

Boolit Master

Smelt the sheet lead.....Casting for a front stuffer always starts better with pure Pb. I'm biased and I'll start that way. If you want to cast for a front stuffer start with a REAL and work with it. A Real over 75 grains of Pyro will put meat on the table no questions asked.

Order a REAL mold in your grain wt. They rock and clean the bore on loading....Always a plus!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Clairification(sp) A REAL Bullet by Lee means Rifiling Engraved At Loading.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Oh and welcome out of lurker status, you got bit. Welcome to CastBoolits!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Mold
    Oh. Sorry. Also forgot to ask what lube would you recommend for the finished bullet? I would like one that is more like wax than grease, and would prefer commercially made one unless its really that easy to make my own. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mpape View Post
    Oh. Sorry. Also forgot to ask what lube would you recommend for the finished bullet? I would like one that is more like wax than grease, and would prefer commercially made one unless its really that easy to make my own. Thanks again.
    If you can get your hands on sticky wheel weights then making your own is going to cost you about $50.00 to get you slobberin' for a lifetime. The mold (grain weight up to you. For a .50 Cal. 250 works wonders for me.) will be about 20.00 bucks. Depending on the wheel shop your stickies will be about 20.00 also YMMV. The lube is Bore Butter, take a finger full and swab the boolit around the bands then stuff the thing over 75 gr. of Pyro or FFF.

Goes Boom and cuts nice holes in paper to boot!

Welcome aboard and good luck!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    Smelt the sheet lead.....Casting for a front stuffer always starts better with pure Pb. I'm biased and I'll start that way. If you want to cast for a front stuffer start with a REAL and work with it. A Real over 75 grains of Pyro will put meat on the table no questions asked.

Order a REAL mold in your grain wt. They rock and clean the bore on loading....Always a plus!
    I agree 100% with P.K. Lee

[QUOTE=Mpape;1442116]Oh. Sorry. Also forgot to ask what lube would you recommend for the finished bullet? I would like one that is more like wax than grease, and would prefer commercially made one unless its really that easy to make my own.

Get some Mobile One Synthic Berring grease.Best thing I have found yet.$5.99 a can at Wall Mart.Been using it for 3 years.Great stuff.Lee

Boolit Master

"Smelt the sheet lead....." and use it as is. It is almost pure lead which is what you want for a muzzle loader. It is even better than the stick-on WW lead.

No clue on the lube, but I'm certain that you could make something fairly firm based on bees wax and a bit of grease. Anybody have a magic mix for ML?

Could try this:

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    For many years I have used olive oil & beeswax in varying combinations (50-50 is the basic starting point) for all my BP shooting. Never has failed, tastes great, many other usages & is the ONLY lube my #1 wife will permit me to make & use in the house....
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 10-28-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Found a recipe!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131698

Info for patch lube, I think Bore Butter is probably okay for elongated bullets, although some find it fouls the barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!