Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mold for Marlin 336CS in .35 Rem

Boolit Grand Master

Mold for Marlin 336CS in .35 Rem

I traded into a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington this week. 1987 vintage, and it doesn't look like it has been shot very much. It has a Bushnell 4X in Holden see thru mounts This will be replaced with something lower, like Weaver or Leupold bases and rings with a Leupold 1-4X Vari-X I that I already have.

This is a new cartridge for me, maybe now I can quit kicking my self about turning down a Model 14 Remington for $189.99 in 1989, but probably not.

My intentions are to shoot cast in this carbine, the question is which boolit? I am thinking of either the RCBS 35-200 FP or the 190 gr Ranch Dog (currently unavailable). I don't really see myself needing a six cavity mold, I only have one 50 count bag of brass right now.

I slugged the length of the bore and got .3595" with a couple of tight spots, so I am thinking I need a .360" boolit. I have not slugged the throat yet, that is on the agenda tomorrow, after fixing the daughters turn signals for about the thirtyleventh time .

I will say that I was suprised at the quality difference between this 336 and a 30AW that I have.

Thanks for the advice,

Robert

I do have a Lyman 358627 that I need to try, but I don't have high hopes for it working.

R

Banned

No experience with the ranch dog but have had real good luck in two 35s one a micro grove and one a standard rifled gun with the 200 rcbs and the 220 lbt rfgc. Make sure if you go with the lbt that when you order it you specify that its for a marlin or the nose lenght will be to long for a marlin. Im sure the ranch dog mold would be a good one too as ive used them in 4570 and 444s with good luck but i just never got around to trying one. If i could only have one bullet though it would be the rcbs. Its very accurate and does good on game. At least up to the size of hogs and deer.

Boolit Master

I have the ranch dog 190 and it is great in my microgroove marlin, as long as alloy is kept at 15bhn or harder.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

I just got a 36-175R from Tom @ Accurate Molds but I haven't had time to cast and try any yet. I shot some J-word bullets in 200 gr. and some of the Hornady Leverreveloution in 200 gr. and it kicked the snot out of me. That's why I opted for the 175gr offering, hoping it would be milder. The J-word bullets shot about 2" groups at 100 yds. I don't have a very good scope on it, it is what came on it when I bought it. A Bushnell 3X9 with see through mounts. I plan on rescoping it with a fixed 4X or so and I am entertaining the idea of going to a Williams rear peep sight. If I rescope it I will lower the rings also. I will post results on cast boolits as soon as I do some range work, hopefully next week.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

The RCBS 200 in my Marlin 336 is my "go to" gun for deer hunting. Puts meat in the freezer every year. My alloy is 55% PB, 45% WW and FWFL.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I am thinking of either the RCBS 35-200 FP or the 190 gr Ranch Dog .
    I can personally recommend both of the bullets mentioned !

I used the RCBS first and killed deer and silhouette with that bullet .
    Later I was fortunate enough to be able to get one of the original test molds for the Ranch Dog bullet , and while I never killed any deer with it before I sold my 35 REM's I did shoot alot of paper and plenty silhouettes .

Both are fine bullets and if I were still messing with 35 REM's or 356 WIN's I would have both molds on my shelf .

The 6 cavity mold is a great thing to have once you figure out how to use it effectively ! Your amount of cases have nothing to do with mold size (well atleast for me) . I like to cast bullets in groups large enough to give me 200 or so good bullets after I do any sight culling . And while I may only load 12-24 at a sitting that number of 200+ gives me enough for several range/loading sessions without the need to cast again .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I can vouch for the 35 RD mold. That boolit in the 35 rem makes me wish I never bought any other molds

The accuracy and terminal ballistics of this thing are quite impressive for a 35 cal. (Not sure if I like my 44 cal rifle better or not...)

Boolit Master

1+ for the RCBS 200 I have a late'70s microgroove 336 that shoots them as well as I can shoot out to 150yds. I size .359 ww+ 2%sn run them 1850'ish over 25gr IMR 4198. T-Bird

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I can personally recommend both of the bullets mentioned !

I used the RCBS first and killed deer and silhouette with that bullet .
    Later I was fortunate enough to be able to get one of the original test molds for the Ranch Dog bullet , and while I never killed any deer with it before I sold my 35 REM's I did shoot alot of paper and plenty silhouettes .

Both are fine bullets and if I were still messing with 35 REM's or 356 WIN's I would have both molds on my shelf .

Thanks, that looks like what I will eventually end up with, I guess I will order one of the RCBS molds next payday, and a Ranch Dog when he gets them back in stock.

The 6 cavity mold is a great thing to have once you figure out how to use it effectively ! Your amount of cases have nothing to do with mold size (well atleast for me) . I like to cast bullets in groups large enough to give me 200 or so good bullets after I do any sight culling . And while I may only load 12-24 at a sitting that number of 200+ gives me enough for several range/loading sessions without the need to cast again .
    I also believe in casting a sufficient quantity, I like to use quart paint cans or peanut butter jars for 30 cal and lower, three pound coffee cans for 35 cal and up. Six cavity molds are a great help in filling storage containers.

Now I just have to scrounge more lead, (story of my life).

I have a full 500 count box of commercial 158 gr FP to use for plinking, if they fit.

Thanks to everybody that responded, it looks like I picked two of the most popular boolits to try.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    I've got one of Swede's RCBS 35 200grn clones in a rg2. I've got a heap of hollowpoints ready to go. Blammer started a thread for a heavier boolit and one in 220 would be excellent http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=128487
    Juddy

I load the RCBS 35-200 FN in my .35 Remington Marlin. With a max load of AA-2015 it groups very well indeed, and to the same point of impact as the Hornady 200 RN with the same load. It is my go to big game load for that gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    I load the RCBS 35-200 FN in my .35 Remington Marlin. With a max load of AA-2015 it groups very well indeed, and to the same point of impact as the Hornady 200 RN with the same load. It is my go to big game load for that gun.
    Thanks for the advice, I don't currently have any AA-2015, but do have 3031 and H335, maybe I will get lucky and have them group together too.

Robert

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice, I don't currently have any AA-2015, but do have 3031 and H335, maybe I will get lucky and have them group together too.

Robert
    Think you will be quite happy with that h-335. Thats pretty much all i use in my marlin levers.Except one 35 rem i have, 1984 vintage,and that one feeds on h-4895.

O-ya,,i use the rcbs 200 boolit,as well.

Range Results

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    I just got a 36-175R from Tom @ Accurate Molds but I haven't had time to cast and try any yet. I shot some J-word bullets in 200 gr. and some of the Hornady Leverreveloution in 200 gr. and it kicked the snot out of me. That's why I opted for the 175gr offering, hoping it would be milder. The J-word bullets shot about 2" groups at 100 yds. I don't have a very good scope on it, it is what came on it when I bought it. A Bushnell 3X9 with see through mounts. I plan on rescoping it with a fixed 4X or so and I am entertaining the idea of going to a Williams rear peep sight. If I rescope it I will lower the rings also. I will post results on cast boolits as soon as I do some range work, hopefully next week.
    Today I got to try out the boolits from the 36-175R mold from Tom. I tried a group of 35 grs. of 3031 @ 100 yds and shot a 3 3/4" group. They chronied @ 2100 fps. I tried another group of 36 grs. of 3031 chronied @ 2180 fps and they grouped @ 8" with one completely off the target. Obviously faster is not better. Back to the drawing board. I then shot a group of 158 gr. JHP's into a 3" group @ 2480 fps. I notice smoke coming from the cast boolit groups. I am using Carnuba Red Lube and a Hornady gas check. Is that the burn off from the lube?

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably, as long as it doesn't lead, I don't worry about a little puff of smoke.

Unfortunately for me, real life intruded on my plans to order a mold. I had just decided to get the RCBS mold when Ranch Dog got his shipment in, so back to making choices; then my computer died.

I decided that it was more important to have a working computer (my daughter does a lot of homework on it) than for me to have another toy....

In a month or two I will get a mold for this caliber, maybe both of them. Of course Ranch Dog is supposed to have a conventional lube groove mold next year, so.........

Robert

In a month or two I will get a mold for this caliber, maybe both of them. Of course Ranch Dog is supposed to have a conventional lube groove mold next year, so.........

Robert
    I emailed Al @ NOE about his mold that he did for a group buy and he told me that he probably would run a few more this winter. Keep an eye out. Also Tom at Accurate makes a fine looking mold, 36-175R if you prefer a lighter boolit. I ain't trying to talk you out of Ranch Dog, just pointing out some options.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master
    fishnbob,

No real hurry here, I can procrastinate with the best of them. I still haven't decided if I am going deer hunting this year and season starts Saturday. I probably will buy a tag or two tomorrow; with my luck if I don't I will see a whitetail that makes a six point elk look like a baby.

I'll probably decide over the winter and use my tax return to pay for whatever I finally decide on. I hadn't even looked at Tom's website.

Robert

Ranch Dog +1

A big +1 on the Ranch Dogs.
    Cast 'em of soft alloy, then heat treat 'em hard.
    That way you'll get hard bullet performance in the barrel, soft bullt performance on target. This process provides a bullet which retains malleability to flow rather than shatter on impact like linotype or other high antimony alloys.

I traded into a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington this week. 1987 vintage, and it doesn't look like it has been shot very much. It has a Bushnell 4X in Holden see thru mounts This will be replaced with something lower, like Weaver or Leupold bases and rings with a Leupold 1-4X Vari-X I that I already have.

This is a new cartridge for me, maybe now I can quit kicking my self about turning down a Model 14 Remington for $189.99 in 1989, but probably not.

My intentions are to shoot cast in this carbine, the question is which boolit? I am thinking of either the RCBS 35-200 FP or the 190 gr Ranch Dog (currently unavailable). I don't really see myself needing a six cavity mold, I only have one 50 count bag of brass right now.

I slugged the length of the bore and got .3595" with a couple of tight spots, so I am thinking I need a .360" boolit. I have not slugged the throat yet, that is on the agenda tomorrow, after fixing the daughters turn signals for about the thirtyleventh time .

I will say that I was suprised at the quality difference between this 336 and a 30AW that I have.

Thanks for the advice,

Robert

I do have a Lyman 358627 that I need to try, but I don't have high hopes for it working.

R
    I have two marlins in 35 cal microgroove. One is my own creation of a 356 Win carbine and a stock 35 rem. 336. They both will cut one ragged hole at 100 yards with the RCBS 35-200. Not personally familliar with the other designs.

Boolit Grand Master

I've just started playing with the RD mould in a similar vintage 336 I stumbled across last year. I can verify that a soft alloy is not a good idea for a 2100fps load in this mould/rifle combo. I'll resume this project after hunting season with a harder alloy. Please keep us posted.
    RD mould is now available, BTW.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.