Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a Flintlock

Boolit Buddy

I want a Flintlock

I have an itch for a flint lock. I like the TVM Tennessee kit so far but want some advice on calabers. I think I want a 45 as it seems the most practical in MO as the min for deer but would a 40 or 36 give any advantage in range or accuracy on smaller game say coyotes or steel plates. This would not be my only rifle so being legal for deer is not a requirement.

Boolit Master

Everyone has their druthers. My experience with muzzleloaders, given the calibers you listed, is that the 45 caliber is easier to live with than the 36-40 calibers. I wouldn't even ignore the 50 caliber. Unlike most cartridge guns, muzzleloaders can be easily loaded as light as you like.... all you have to do is get the ball out of the muzzle. The reverse is not true.... you can't make a 36-40 do what a 45-50 will do.

Boolit Master

I would go with a minimum of .50. I have a .45, .50, and .54. The .54 is an hoot to shoot, I can hit anything I aim at, but the .50 is my favourite. I have loaded it to 30gns, and to 140gns. Most of my shooting is around 60gns, and is quite comfortable.
    The .45 I am not impressed with. It also hits what I aim at, but is a little harder to handle.
    None of my rifles recoil. Even at 140gns. At least not what I would consider recoil. My older .375 H&H could deliver recoil. My .44 mag Model 94 could recoil.
    My front stuffers are quite comfortable to fire.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd sure go with a .54 for a hunting rifle. It is certainly the most popular in this area. It will give you some added range for deer, and more than enough killing power.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

That's easy. Get one of each.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    That's easy. Get one of each.
    I am thinking along these lines but need a place to start. I have a TC hawken in 45 that shoots very nice with tc maxis but I realize rb will be diffrent.
    Thanks for the imput.

Boolit Master

mack1,
    From your OP and the choice of the Poor Boy, I assumed you were thinking a reliable, multi-purpose accurate shooting gun for primarily whitetails (at the larger end) to plinking/small game (at the other end) with shooting usually at the closer ranges. If you are talking up to 100 yard range with roundballs and for larger deer or even elk then absolutely the 54 is the way to go.

Also, within each long rifle stock style, barrel contour and diameter (up to caliber limits of course) the smaller the caliber the heavier that barrel becomes. That in turn negates the balance and feel of a 45-50 cal long rifle with a barrel of say 7/8" across the flats and a barrel length of 37-40 inches. A smaller caliber with those specs would feel muzzle heavy. There is no exact magic formula for all this balance and feel thing just something to think about when looking at the specs of these guns.

FWIW, There's a couple of VERY nice flintlocks F/S right now - over on the tradtional Muzzleloader Forum:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp...wcat.php/cat/9

Last edited by pietro; 10-14-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    405 you are correct I want a flintlock to shoot and enjoy hunting small game white tails would be the biggest game but not manditory as I have another caplock for them. I want something to plint with. What you say makes me think the 50 with a 36" barrel will ballance the best for me, I am not a large counter ballance.

Boolit Master

mack1,
    At least we're on the same page. I haven't looked closely at the barrel length options and across the flats dimensions or calibers TVM offers in the Poor Boy model. You might look at those specs.

Just for comparison, of all the long guns I have or have shot (more than a few) of all types without a doubt the ONE that balances and holds most steady in the offhand position is a Pennsylvania style flintlock. I put it together from NOS parts quite a few years ago. It is a 50 cal. at 7/8" across the flats. The bl is 39" long and the length of pull is 13". I'm fairly tall and not heavy so you may be on the right track with a 36" bl in 50 cal as long as you keep the across the flats dimension (thus weight) down to about 7/8". There's no such thing as one size fits all with how guns feel in the hand, so take a swag and proceed.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for all the help. Spending $1000 ON A RIFLE I cannot hold first is a new experience for me, I am looking for all insight I can get.

Good guns are available for less:
    http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...m/4,11457.html

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of the .45. In a properly sized/swamped barrel it makes for a lively handling rifle. I also haven't had any trouble killing deer with it, with round balls. A pound of lead goes a lot farther when casting .45 balls than it will when making .50 and .54's too. If I lived in an area where bigger deer were the norm, I would conceivably re-think it and go with a bigger bore. Or not.

Boolit Master
    The last rocklock I built up is this plain Jane hunting rifle. It is a LH Lancaster style, 42 inch Getz swamped barrel in .54 caliber and weighs in at just over 6.5 pounds. With just 30 grains of 3F and RB, I have taken tassel eared tree rats with little meat damage out of the tallest ponderosa pines up in the high country. With 75 grains of 2F and RB, it will anchor a deer where it stood.

as a lefty, I can really appreciate that rilfe

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I HAVE .45, .50, and .58 now, and a .62 in the works. Personally, I think a .45 light for deer, but I know that the've been taken with .40s. After shooting my 58 and some larger bores, I think .50 a pretty flexible caliber. I've considered a smaller bore, but the spindly ramrods on 32s and 36s scare me. With a .40 you can still have a 3/8" rod.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I have settled on a 50 for the versitility maby a 40 in the future. Now to decide between steel or brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    as a lefty, I can really appreciate that rilfe
    This fusil de chasse smoothbore is the one I use more than any other, shot or ball is hard to beat for meat.

Boolit Master

What ever you do, get a swamped barrel!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    What ever you do, get a swamped barrel!
    A HUGE +1 on that!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson