Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What Gun Do You Regret Buying?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    An Iver Johnson "Bulldog" back in the early seventies. It was a six shot .22 with a bull (target) barrel and direct lineage to Taurus for several reasons. The cylinder only revolved when it felt like it, the barrel was actually loose in the frame and the action felt like it was full of rocks. I was pretty steamed that a new gun would act like that, especially when I paid $35.00 for it!

I decided to be generous to my ex wife when we split up and gave it to her.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=ColColt;1424289]I can't recall any I regret buying but quite a few I regret selling/trading.

Same.

I have been lucky, quite blindly, to buy stuff that has been flawless. ( even my 22 sig mosquito, one of my favorite ' new shooter semi's.'. I have regretted some sales or trades. Before I consider a sale now, I shelf the gun for a few months, a year in some cases. Many times I have fallen back in love and have been glad I didn't sell. I usually have to make outright purchases rather than trades. Saves from buying the same gun back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I think I am seeing Taurus lead this parade.

Well, let's see. Just looked thru ALL of the responses.....and counted all mentions, of whatever brand or model, that were called "regretted buying, or guns with problems, etc" I did NOT count any "regretted selling" or "regretted getting rid of"....anything like that (obviously, that doesn't fit the original premise).

The score stands, as of now :

Taurus : 15

All Others : 107

Oh and for me......one Chinese SKS. Worst trigger of any gun I've ever handled.

So, I guess that makes it :

Taurus : 15

All Others : 108

The point being......how about a little FAIRNESS ? If you don't like something, or have personally had bad experiences with one brand or model, etc......then say so.....but, tell it like it IS. If it is ONLY an opinion - just say so. I am speaking to all here - not only one (or a few). Throwing mud may be fun, but it doesn't really help anyone, does it ?
    Last edited by bcp477; 11-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Para Ordnance P-13. Nothing would make it run right. Sold it to a dealer at a gun show for a loss.

Boolit Master
    All four AK's I had at one time....since sold. I should have spent more time with one of them instead of investing heavily in them. Luckily I made a profit so no harm, no foul. I don't care how reliable they are inaccurate rattle trap and you are labeled as soon as someone sees you with one. Glad they are gone. If they were an old trusty butcher knife, my AR's are surgical scalpels by comparison.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JayinAZ View Post
    Para Ordnance P-13. Nothing would make it run right. Sold it to a dealer at a gun show for a loss.
    another departs via gunshow! take heed!
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, but I sold it to a dealer, not an innocent bystander

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JayinAZ View Post
    Yeah, but I sold it to a dealer, not an innocent bystander
    Of course. But what did he do with it? Prob sold it st the show.

Boolit Bub
    Very interesting thread. I wonder how many of the bad guns were lemons vs. just poor manufacturing in general. It would also be interesting to hear how many have had the "bad" guns but actually liked them.

I read bad reviews of two that I own and love to shoot: the Dan Wesson .357 and the Taurus Model 29 .22. They're both accurate and have worked without a hitch. I don't anticipate every getting rid of them.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    EDUCATIONAL THREAD.
    But , not a real accurate survey, statically speaking.
    Taurus taking a lot of hits, but how many of us would buy a Rossie or Arminius ?
    Heck are they still in production?
    They had such a bad reputation, even in the gun rags, that most of us would not even buy one.

Boolit Bub
    I thought I heard that Rossi is owned by Taurus now. I have a Rossi .22 pump action long rifle that my brother got about twenty years ago. We still shoot it with just the iron sights, and it will consistently hit empty shotgun shells at 25-30 yards (maybe this isn't very impressive but it works for me). I've used it over the past five years to kill quite a few varmints....coyote, skunk...The blue is wearing off. I'd like to get it reblued.

Boolit Master
    Not a gun but the conversion work done on one. Total ***** from start to finish and I can't sell it knowing how messed up it is. Just because someone has a gunsmithing website doesn't mean they're a gunsmith.

Definitely regret buying my Hi-Point C9 9mm, from a self defense standpoint the only reliable way to use it would be to throw it at the perpetrator since it weighs enough to do some damage. Have tried every mod imaginable and every brand of ammo I could get my hands on and I can count on one hand the amount of times its fed a full mag without jamming. Almost regretted buying my Remington 770 30-06 but after some minor mag polishing I got it feeding like a champ. You get what you pay for with guns, with few exceptions. (I love my Stoeger p350 12ga and it was cheap cheap cheap)

Boolit Grand Master

I am a big fan of Remington arms, but the 742 was a big, fat, hairy, mistake. Basic design flaws. Its a darn good thing that most remingtons are reliable and accurate, because if you ever have a problem, their CS dept. sucks rocks.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    A Charter Arms 44 Special "Bulldog". I bought it a long time ago on an "impulse" and had it about a year before selling it. It was inaccurate and the trigger pull both single and double action was terrible. It would not shoot anywhere near where the fixed sights were pointed at and 44 Special ammo/cases were difficult to locate. It was so light it kicked about as bad as a 44 magnum. There were no aftermarket grips available at the time and the inadequate wooden grips made shooting it a very unpleasant experience. All in all it was pretty much a disaster. Mine may have been a fluke, I have no way to know because I never met anyone else who had purchased one. I was fortunate to be able to sell it with minimal loss. The gentleman that bought it still has it to this day in his night stand drawer. I doubt he has fired the remainder of the box of ammo I let him have with it. Well, I've heard it said "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Mike
    Last edited by Smoke-um if you got-um; 11-16-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a 380 Bryco/Jennings when I lived in a rough apartment complex,a couple of well placed razor blades stopped all of the gas thieving. To quote the G&A writter "they work fine untill they quit" . It shot fine about 8" at 25 yd,it fed ,ejected,and went bang every time. Then the disconector showed a little slop , she was all done. $40 in parts in a $100 NIB gun. It went down the road . By then I was in a better home and had better guns and only took a loss for the parts.

2nd runner up was a Taurus 66 which for the record wasn't a bad gun as long as you shot 38s or 38+Ps. It threw 357s all over the trick w/it was to hold the loads to 1100 fps by the book w/bullets/boolits from 125-200gn. Under 125 you could drive them to blow up and it'd shoot all the groups you wanted. I think maybe it had a tight bbl and open throats w/ tight chambers.

Last is a Marlin mod 19 12ga just because it hasn't fired a round in the 15yr I've had it even though it meets all the test spec's to be safe I'm still scared of that bar fight busted butt stock.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've got this Model 12 too. It comes up perfect feels right but that bugger slaps me every time on the 2nd shot .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke-um if you got-um View Post
    A Charter Arms 44 Special "Bulldog". I bought it a long time ago on an "impulse" and had it about a year before selling it. It was inaccurate and the trigger pull both single and double action was terrible. It would not shoot anywhere near where the fixed sights were pointed at and 44 Special ammo/cases were difficult to locate. It was so light it kicked about as bad as a 44 magnum. There were no aftermarket grips available at the time and the inadequate wooden grips made shooting it a very unpleasant experience. All in all it was pretty much a disaster. Mine may have been a fluke, I have no way to know because I never met anyone else who had purchased one. I was fortunate to be able to sell it with minimal loss. The gentleman that bought it still has it to this day in his night stand drawer. I doubt he has fired the remainder of the box of ammo I let him have with it. Well, I've heard it said "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Mike
    My experience with the Bulldog has been completely opposite. Besides my CZ75, it's the only gun I'd never sell.

My regrets were an Auto Ordnance .45 that I bought in college and a Ruger LCR in .38 Special.

The "Thompson" never would feed properly, one too many jam and it went away.
    The Ruger is probably my fault as I didn't shoot it before I bought it. The recoil was so brutal with +P ammo I thought it'd blown up. It was going to be my wife's concealed carry piece. Needless to say it got traded immediately.

The good news is that the LCR is responsible for me learning to reload as I had a desire to make ammo that I could shoot in it. Now I just have to buy another one....

Boolit Master
    I really like my LCR 357!

Quote Originally Posted by justingrosche View Post
    A Savage 10 in 270 .The stock is flimsy as tupperware ,the trigger sucks, and it hasn't had any signs of accuracy with either cast or jacketed in any weight I've tried. It'll be going down the road very soon I hope.
    Bye, Bye Tuperwear Savage. Traded it off on another 270 win. This time got a SS Remington 700. Hopefully it shoots better then that *** Savage.