RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What Gun Do You Regret Buying?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    The bottom of my list:
    Worst, a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145. Terrible trigger. DAO so you couldn't get away from the poor trigger.
    Next, a Kel-Tec P-11. This one as a gun was a tie with the Mil-Pro, but because it was given to me, it ranks next to worst. Another terrible trigger, DAO, sights so poor you might as well not use them, cheap piece of junk.
    3rd worst, a Taurus 24/7 compact .45. I thought it might be better than the Mil-Pro. It was in that it was SA/DA. A little more accurate, but not much. Sights were off 10" at 12 yards.
    Good thing is, there's always someone looking for a belly gun. These fit right in.
    I came across a Glock 30, that did all the things I wanted of a SD sidearm, and did them all reliably and well. It may cost more, but it's worth every penny!

Boolit Buddy
    Let's see, a rather nicely made American Derringer in 3" .410; I believe I fired it twice and my father fired it twice--neither one of us tough enough to reload and try it again. Contender Super 16 barrel in .45-70 with fiberglass buttstock from Choate-I'd rather shoot a box of 20 through my M70 .375 from the bench than 1 more from that Contender. And an AMT Hardballer--probably the single most frustrating mechanical device I've ever had the misfortune of owning-and I owned a Ford Maverick once upon a time.

Boolit Master
    Brass frame .36 cap and ball revolver. Brass is real nice to clean bp off of, but a frame made of brass is too soft and it wouldn't hold the barrel pin in place. Next time, get a steel frame .36, brass trigger guards are OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Would be a toss up between a Detonics stainless 45 that shot 2 feet high with no adjustment on the sights possible and the first heavy duty stainless derringers that came out in 10 mm that shot way high as well. Fired it once and it broke several blood vessels on the fatty part of my right thumb and was black and blue for weeks. The most painful gun I have ever fired.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Master

A Calico 9mm carbine. The 100 round magazines simply would not feed. Lost a bundle on that piece of junk.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    A Taurus PT24 40 cal. could not make it hit anything as a matter of fact anything made by Taurus is a cheap piece of junk!!

Boolit Master
    US revolver corp. hammerless revolver in 38 S&W. Showed up late to the auction so I didn't get to inspect. It was listed as 38 sp. Haven't even bothered to fix it yet.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Savage 112 .223 tapered heavy barrel. Nice gun, should probably be a great shooter, but have never shot it... several years now, I'll take it and trade it off someday, probably for something else i don't need.

Boolit Master
    I have had numerous guns that did not live up to expectations and so went down the road fast. A few memorable ones were: AMT Hardballer malfunctions galore and not accurate; Taurus 63 numerous malfunctions; Savage bolt gun (really old one from the 30s in 300 Savage) bullets would tumble right at the muzzle; Ruger No 1 in 458 Win Mag that would not shoot cast bullets without them tumbling until I got them going at 1800 fps when they were not longer fun to shoot. There were others that were disappointments. This was especially true of Ruger CF rifles only about 50% that I bought would shoot to my minimum requirements. Today I am so leary of Ruger rifles that I do ot buy them though I love their looks. I hope they have better barrels these days but at this time I own only two Ruger CF rifles a 1972 vintage Model 77 in 7X 57 and a 2007 Vintage 308 bull barrel varminter style. These both shoot well so remain.

Boolit Master
    Glock 17, traded in my Jericho 941 for it, in retrospect I feel that was a big misstake.

Now I am stuck with the glock though, as gun laws changed for the worse in Finland and handguns aren't as easy to get permits for anymore, permits are no longer life time either. All my existing handguns though, including the Glock where grandfathered in so they are immune. So for that reason alone I can't see myself swapping it.

Sure wish I had that jericho back, or a P226 instead. Atleast I have a 1911.

Boolit Master
    I bought/traded my way into a nice DWM '95 Mauser 7mm, tuned down aftermarket bolt handle, polished bolt, fajen California Style Stock. Accurate too. Bubba done a fine job.
    Problem was, when I wanted to trade it on something else (can't remember what) folks would see a young fella carrying what looked like a very early Weatherby around the gun show.
    They'd run up and ask "how much for the old Weatherby?!", and I'd start "well...it's a '95 Mauser 7mm". They'd look at me like I'd attempted to defraud them.
    After a while, it wasn't getting used, I needed truck tires, so I got annoyed at it and sold it for about half what I paid for it.
    That's the only gun I regret buying. In retrospect, I regret selling it more than I regret buying it.

Boolit Grand Master
    LLama mini-max. It goes bang, but is only minute of barn wall. 70's era Ruger Black Hawk 357/9mm convertible that was awful--couldn't get it centered on paper with anything. Mags shot low, 38's shot high, 9MM was a shotgun. That one put me off Rugers for years, but last June I ordered a 44 Special Flat Top and wow, what a fine gun!! If they all shot like that no one would own anything else.

A Savage 10 in 270 .The stock is flimsy as tupperware ,the trigger sucks, and it hasn't had any signs of accuracy with either cast or jacketed in any weight I've tried. It'll be going down the road very soon I hope.

I regret getting a Colt .25acp many years ago; total ***!
    I am remorsfull for selling my 1917 M-96b Swedish Mouser.
    Both stuuupid moves on my part.
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Ruger P-89 that I poaid for by selling s 4" model 19. The high capacity mag ban was going into effect and I panicked. The first time I tried to shoot it DA I reread the manual looking for the extra safety. The trigger pull must have been around twenty pounds. SA was a lot better only eight or nine lbs. I shot it in and got it so it would hit a paper plate @ 25 yards 7 or 8 shots out of 10 with cast. J words were a little better. It was sold and the CZ that replaced it has been nice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In my case it was a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-745, 45ACP. There were constant failures to fire. The firing pin would often only slightly dent the primer. Twice this pistol went back to the Taurus service center and twice returned with the same problem. You get what you pay for. I will never buy another Taurus product. Taurus claims to offer a lifetime waranty. My question is, "Who's lifetime?"

Boolit Man
    I bought one of the first Taurus Millenium PT111, 9mm and hated it from the moment I first tried it. Too bad you can do a "test drive" on guns before purchase. The trigger was terrible and my finger was numb after shooting a magazine. I tried some cast loads and the bullets ended up hitting the target sideways. I didn't spend anytime after that even trying to find loads that would work, just stuck it in the safe. Couple years ago I traded it for a real gun, a S&W 610.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Years ago when we were in Chattanooga I bought an RG 38 Special revolver. We had a very limited budget at the time ... Would have been far better to have made a slingshot & saved the funds to buy a few more popsicles.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I can't recall any I regret buying but quite a few I regret selling/trading. I never bought any off the wall brands so had no regrets. I tried the Glock 22 but both times I tried it over the years I ended up selling it or trading-just didn't like the recoil pattern-too snappy for me.

If it doesn't say S&W, Colt, Ruger, Glock, Sig, etc, I don't buy them. This is course doesn't include any of the upscale brands like Les Baer, Wilson or Ed Brown. They're in another league that I'm out of.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    I don't regret buying it but I had a P08 for only a very shot time. It was a shooter and I shot it quite a little one summer. It just didn't impress me. In 9mm much prefer my P35.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison