Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How are the Ruger 77/357's shooting?

Boolit Master
    If you want 357 Max power, you can get the rifle converted to the 357/44 Bain&Davis.

I once built an M1 carbine in 357 Auto Mag. You could probably modify the M1 carbine magazine to fit the magwell on the 77/357. 7 357 Auto Mag rounds will fit in the 15 round magazine and 14 in the 30 round M1 carbine mag. My M1 functioned perfectly but I had to drop the 357 Auto Mag loads by 10%. Still managed 2000 fps with a 158 gr JSP.

Vendor Sponsor

The problem with trying to put different cartridges in these guns is the magazine will only allow 1.600 OAL. You can single load longer cartridges like .44 mags with SWC's that are too long for the mag but still will chamber just fine.

Trying to modify the gun to use other magazines could be problematic.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    If you want 357 Max power, you can get the rifle converted to the 357/44 Bain&Davis.

I once built an M1 carbine in 357 Auto Mag. You could probably modify the M1 carbine magazine to fit the magwell on the 77/357. 7 357 Auto Mag rounds will fit in the 15 round magazine and 14 in the 30 round M1 carbine mag. My M1 functioned perfectly but I had to drop the 357 Auto Mag loads by 10%. Still managed 2000 fps with a 158 gr JSP.
    An interesting idea. It got me thinking, how about rebarreling a 77/44 to 357/44 Bain & Davis? Alot more money but you keep the factory Mag and efectively get similar 357 max peformance.

Boolit Man
    Need some help guys and gals.

I have a relatively new Ruger 77/357 that is shooting about 3+inches at 100 yards. Load I am using is the NOE 360-180-FN GC sized .358", seated to the crimp groove, cast with 3:1 lead to linotype, and using 14.5 grains of Lil' Gun. Bullets are weighed and culled unless +/- .5 grains.

I have put the gun in a Boyd's stock and am using a Weaver T-36 scope with a VERY solid cast Iron Sinclair rest with a form fitting sand bag and also a form fitting rear leather bag. Just ordered a Volquartsen trigger "kit" for it.

What can I do differently to shoot better?

An interesting observation is that the same load shoots just as poorly or worse in my Martini Cadet with a Douglas Air Gauged barrel with a 1:16 twist 24" long and a Lyman SuperSpot 25 power scope. I have loaded for many years and have never had a problem with my reloads until now......................

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Need some help guys and gals.

I have a relatively new Ruger 77/357 that is shooting about 3+inches at 100 yards. Load I am using is the NOE 360-180-FN GC sized .358", seated to the crimp groove, cast with 3:1 lead to linotype, and using 14.5 grains of Lil' Gun. Bullets are weighed and culled unless +/- .5 grains.

I have put the gun in a Boyd's stock and am using a Weaver T-36 scope with a VERY solid cast Iron Sinclair rest with a form fitting sand bag and also a form fitting rear leather bag. Just ordered a Volquartsen trigger "kit" for it.

An interesting observation is that the same load shoots just as poorly or worse in my Martini Cadet with a Douglas Air Gauged barrel with a 1:16 twist 24" long and a Lyman SuperSpot 25 power scope. I have loaded for many years and have never had a problem with my reloads until now......................
    Mine shoots 2 inches with factory 140 grain Hornady leverevolutions. And the plastic stock. Haven't gotten my load worked up for the 360-180 yet

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Travelor;3606865]Need some help guys and gals.

An interesting observation is that the same load shoots just as poorly or worse in my Martini Cadet with a Douglas Air Gauged barrel with a 1:16 twist 24" long and a Lyman SuperSpot 25 power scope. I have loaded for many years and have never had a problem with my reloads until now.....................

Did you slug your bore? Sounds like your bullet maybe a tad small at .358. I shoot the same bullet, sized .360 50/50 ww/pb. keep it around 1500 fps. I had pretty poor performance above that.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    I have not slugged the bore yet.

Also have not fire lapped or used a bore paste.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Lapping a hammer forged barrel is a bit unnecessary isn't it? They are pretty smooth as a rule. Works wonders with cut rifling, but the're rarer than sensible politicans nowadays.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    this is a very old thread but i need to ask, how have all of you fixed your mag problems? (everyone ive talked to has seen the same problem) I have 6 mags and everyone will fail to push up the 3rd 4th or 5th round, i have to poke it down with my finger a little bit then it will spring back up. I dont want to open the mag up because that is a PITA (i did that on my 10/22 and that mag never worked right again).

also, what style bullet works best for loading? i get fail to feed problems pushing a round into the chamber

other than these somewhat minor problems i love my 77/357.
    Last edited by akula682; 06-11-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Josh
    -playing in the sandbox helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." TR

Boolit Buddy
    My 77/357 seems to feed the LEE 125, 158, and 200 grain 38 and 357 varieties without an issue. Factory HP and JSP ammo does fine too.

Boolit Grand Master
    That one seems to feed OK.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    My 77/357 feeds fine. My 10/22 mags would jam and would take a good cleaning and graphite treatment to make them work good again.

65yds

65 yards. Actually recovered one of the slugs. It was just sitting on top of the log I mounted the target to

245gr pccb SAECO 352
    38spl brass (because it fits better than 357 brass, flush to the top band)
    WSP primer
    OAL to fit mag

Took a lot of backing down to get this subsonic, started at 9.7gr which gave 1230fps avg. No pressure signs btw.

7.7gr Lil'gun 1042fps 590fpe

Nice postban, how you liking the silencer?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Vendor Sponsor

That looks cool! Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have not owned a 77/357, but last fall sighted in 2, 77/44s @ a 77/357. All three were scoped
    and shooting factory JSPs. All three at 75yds, 5 shot groups were in 11/2". They impressed me.
    I did a couple new 94 Marlins 44s, and they didn't do that well, they were more in 3" class, also
    factory ammo. There is run on these type guns here in Ohio, for new deer season. Most of these
    guys are not loaders, I fact for a lot of them it is their 1st HP rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Nice postban, how you liking the silencer?
    Really love them, makes shooting more enjoyable. I have five now and two more coming.
    https://youtu.be/MplejsRoAWc
    https://youtu.be/h42XNnNBxDY

Boolit Mold
    postban, you could reload that projectile and shoot it again, without melting it down again. (sweet looking setup too).

Whit Spurzon- how long did it take to get yours running that smoothly? mine is brand new (sadly i am in the middle east and cant shoot it and get it worked in) and if i try and run it like you are in your video it will jam every time.
    Josh
    -playing in the sandbox helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." TR