RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which chronograph - 2011

Boolit Bub

Which chronograph - 2011

OK guys, I'm about to crank out my very first hand loads sometime this week, and I am going to be ordering a chronograph. I did a search for this topic before posting (both on google and within the site itself) and it seems that most threads about chronograph selection are a little dated. Which chronograph should I be getting? Looking on amazon/midway, most seem to fall into the $100 - $150 range, which is fine. If there's a really nice one that's a little more, that's OK too. Some things I would like to have (after reliability/accuracy) are multiple shot memory (not sure if this is a standard feature or not). I saw one unit with a remote control, which would be awesome on the busier days at the range. What say you all?

-Don

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a basic Chroy model. I did get the printer, makes it easier to keep records of things. The remote would do the same.
    Many will talk about the problems they had with one brand or another. In the end they all work, they all are accurate enough for our needs, and they are easy to use. Get one that fits your price range and don't look back.

Brad

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Brad. If they're all pretty much the same in the accuracy department, I guess I'll be looking toward the ones with the least amount of problems/quirks as people start to post their opinions.

Boolit Master
    I have been using a Competive Edge Dynamics (Millennium)for about 15 years now without any problems. They are about middle of the road as far as price and can be upgraded as you see fit.
    Dillon has them for $ 199.00 and you may be able to find them cheaper by shopping around.
    Dwight

Boolit Master
    I understand that Dr. Ohler was again offering the model 35P this year. The 35P is actually two chronographs in one. It uses three sky screens. The idea is for one to confirm the other. It can be had with optional printer to print out data for records.
    It will read the number of shots fired in a string, the highest velocity in the string, the lowest, the extreme spread, the average velocity, and the standard deviation.
    Mine has not missed a beat in 20 years.

Boolit Master

The Ohler 35P is currently $575 or thereabouts.

I needed to get a chrony a couple of years ago as I got heavier into 1000 yard target shooting, the Ohler was then unavailable.

A shooter I trust told me to get the CED Millenium and to spring for the carry case too. He said the chrony just flat out works and instead of fiddeling around he puts it together and is shooting in no time. He told me the case was very well thought out and even holds the tripod. Anyway I listened and I am very happy with the purchase.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I've used a red Chrony for over 10 yrs. I like the fact that it folds up so compact and portable. I bought it before they had a remote read out. On bright days I have a terrible time reading the velocities. I have started bringing a small monocular to get a look-see. When you get one, and I highly recommend one, get one with a remote read out. (The printout would be nice too.)

Boolit Master
    My infrared skyscreens are much more reliable than my old sunlight driven ones. They are not affected by clouds passing over and can be used on indoor ranges as well.

I have the basic Chrony unit and have no dificulty reading the unit from 10 ft. The unit has been completlty reliable and more than suficient for my rather modest needs.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Grand Master
    Lets see, the Oehler at 575 or a Chrony at 100. Which do you think most people will buy. I can afford an Oehler but use a Chrony. The extra money bits an awful lot of powder.
    Last edited by btroj; 06-28-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Ttpe

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I find I can afford to shoot more Chrony's, than Ohlers.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have had Oehlers Chrony's and PACTS.I prefer the old PACT Model 1 or current version.The screens works well without having to use the diffusers and are very durable.I sold my last 35 Oehler when i checked it against the PACT.There was no difference in velocity or SD's to speak of.I like the ability a edit (delete)a shot if you need to.Sometimes i grab the wrong load from the box and dont have to re shoot the string again.

HMP

Boolit Bub
    CED user here, like it very much. Heck I may buy a second one to get velocity at the target.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input guys. The Oehler looks amazing with it's 3 "skyscreens", but it's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. The Chrony has my attention though.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I had the Chrony with the remote head and really liked it. So long as the battery was in reasonable shape it never really let me down. Except for the last time I took it to the range and it unexpectedly jumped into the path of TWO bullets. It gave me Error Readings for some unknown reason after that..
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

Talking

My vote goes for the CED Millenium.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    When you decide to get one, you might want to have it shipped to your local Walmart. They do that here, and the shipping is FREE. http://www.walmart.com/ip/F1-Chronograph/4382668

The Alpha, Beta, and Gamma are at the top of the page.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    I got my Delta Chrony 18 years ago to verify loads from my reloading manuals. How else would the average reloader know his load is safe?

Stuck my Chrony in front for 5 strings and behind for 5 strings of the sky screens of my friends Oehler 35. Readings were the same.

I use a notebook and a pen to keep records from directly reading my Chrony. A printer and remote are nice, but it's just more stuff that can go wrong.

CED M2 here. Get the case also. best buy for the money. you don't have to worry about a printer. you can download your strings when you get home to your pc via usb cable.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    When you decide to get one, you might want to have it shipped to your local Walmart. They do that here, and the shipping is FREE. http://www.walmart.com/ip/F1-Chronograph/4382668

The Alpha, Beta, and Gamma are at the top of the page.
    Thank you jimkim, I didn't even think to look to Walmart for something like this!