1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

In Remembrance
    To me, safety gear is used to prevent injuries caused by things that can't be controlled.

When I weld on something, I grab the helmet because the dark lens is required to protect vision. There is no way to control the brightness of the welding arc.
    I also don my buckskin gloves because my hands are right close to the spatter which can't be controlled ... only avoided.

Lead doesn't splash due to some uncontrollable factor. Neither does it blow out of the pot nor dribble on your feet.
    It only does those things when the 'operator' forgets to control the environment.

If you use safety gear to protect you from every direction, you quickly learn that you no longer have to pay attention to what you are doing. That is when people get killed or injured by things even their safety gear can't handle.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Safety gear protects you from ACCIDENTS, which are sometimes caused by others or unforeseen
    circumstances along with your own choices or actions.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Been burned a few times. Only once that really took some time to heal. Still I only wear one glove. I've cast for years in tennis shoes & tee shirts but if it makes everyone feel better I don't wear shorts at the lead pot.

juniorsonic;1409473..........your post was kind. You didn't call me stupid or crazy. Others seem to think I am but for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can cast with all that stuff on their body without being in a very cool room. My problem is HEAT. My casting sessions tend to go 4 or 5 hours, running 3 or 4 moulds. I don't/can't stop except for a drink of water or to pee. Yes I said pee, sorry.
    I just call it as I see it as far as a simple opinion goes. You will find that I am not one of these keyboard commando types that seem to feel they need to be less than civil and just plain RUDE to feel that they are somehow better, or have control (or the "upper hand") in a situation. These types are just pathetic & sad individuals. I recently made a statement here that I thought a man-sized target could not be seen with the naked eye at 1,700 yards (based on my experience with 1,000-yd. shooting). Turns out I may have been mistaken. Of course, someone (a MODERATOR, no less!) felt that it was necessary to comment on my post by saying "Get your eyes checked." So, you won't find that kind of BS coming from this camp....it's unseemly. Anyway, my take on the eye/skin protection thing is that whatever works for you in terms of safety is GTG. If you are truly comfortable with your level of cover & have been doing it (cautiously & "hazard-free") forever, than the more power to you! It doesn't make you any less "intelligent" or "sane" if it works for you and nobody sees any harm from it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorsonic View Post
    I just call it as I see it as far as a simple opinion goes. You will find that I am not one of these keyboard commando types that seem to feel they need to be less than civil and just plain RUDE to feel that they are somehow better, or have control (or the "upper hand") in a situation. These types are just pathetic & sad individuals. I recently made a statement here that I thought a man-sized target could not be seen with the naked eye at 1,700 yards (based on my experience with 1,000-yd. shooting). Turns out I may have been mistaken. Of course, someone (a MODERATOR, no less!) felt that it was necessary to comment on my post by saying "Get your eyes checked." So, you won't find that kind of BS coming from this camp....it's unseemly. Anyway, my take on the eye/skin protection thing is that whatever works for you in terms of safety is GTG. If you are truly comfortable with your level of cover & have been doing it (cautiously & "hazard-free") forever, than the more power to you! It doesn't make you any less "intelligent" or "sane" if it works for you and nobody sees any harm from it.
    So, which part of the suggestion to get your eyes checked was out of line? My eyes aren't the best in the world, but I can certainly see a target of any decent size at 1700 yards. A man size target is quite distinct. If you are going to feel insulted, pick another reason.
    Anyone who has hunted the western plains, have watched antelope at several miles away, same with elk. I'd never shoot at game that far, but the individuals are certainly obvious.
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-02-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsonic View Post
    Thank you Sir...........well said.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    So, which part of the suggestion to get your eyes checked was out of line? My eyes aren't the best in the world, but I can certainly see a target of any decent size at 1700 yards. A man size target is quite distinct. If you are going to feel insulted, pick another reason.
    I wasn't the least bit insulted. An invisible stranger behind a keyboard has zero ability to cause me any type of personal "distress," which is exactly what "feeling insulted" is. However, your little comment was snippy and rude. Period. No argument about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Thank you Sir...........well said.
    You are very welcome. And I agree.
    Last edited by juniorsonic; 10-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Smile while I use gloves most of the time

there are some molds that I can go without gloves and never get burned
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Boolit Master

Safety First would require ALL THAT WORK WITH MOLTEN METALS SHOULD WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALWAYS.

This is actually just Common Sense, not a Macho Trip, accidents can and do happen, it's better to be safe than sorry.

BURNS from molten metal can be extremely painful, damaging and slow healing.

Boolit Grand Master

Safety equipment is for accidents, nothing can protect you from stupidty

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Safety First would require ALL THAT WORK WITH MOLTEN METALS SHOULD WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALWAYS.

This is actually just Common Sense, not a Macho Trip, accidents can and do happen, it's better to be safe than sorry.

BURNS from molten metal can be extremely painful, damaging and slow healing.
    As a teen ager with an open toe cast, I closely watched a radio repairman, as he did some circuit repair. He carefully drew solder from a connection and slung it, off the solder gun tip.
    Guess where it landed.
    Have you ever seen a one legged man at an kicking contest???
    Now I don't blame him for doing what he always did, cause it's his shop.
    I don't blame the Dr. for leaving my toes exposed.
    I can't blame the molten solder for the direction it took.
    I can only say that it was an unforeseen accident with serious results.
    That half pea sized blob, slithered between my toes and back under the arch of my foot, where it sizzled till my foot cooled it off.
    I had to have the cast removed to treat the 3 degree burn, and my ankle healed long before the burn.
    That's the kind of thing that can happen to the unprotected, and unprepared.
    If ya want to take chances, do it with cards or marbles, but never with 700+ degree liquid metal, or the tools used with it.

Talking 1 with & 1 without

Hi Folks,
    I actually cast with One glove on.

My hand that holds the mould is glovless. This allows for good mould control, as well as being able to feel how hot the mould is running.
    This also makes it easier to pick up any tools off the bench when needed.

The gloved hand is for stirring the pot, adding preheated ingots, and sliding sprue.
    This also means during any lubing of the mould, allen wrench use etc. the hand is always protected.

I never slow for Gloves On, Gloves Off.

It's not possible for me to answer the voting part of the Poll without voting for each.

Jeff

Boolit Master

It's AMAZING, being 1/2 SAFE. I worked in industry for decades and I've seen it all. Some people simply DO NOT LISTEN OR FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. SAFETY IS NOT A 1/2 WAY MEASURE.

Safety and Laws were enacted because they were PAID FOR with the blood of many, Why would you even risk 1 glove, 1/2 safe, or consider adding your blood to the ones that went before you.

Accidents happen, Heaven forbid that you would have a seizure, major Charlie- Horse, or a Heart Attack while casting and what the potential result could turn out to be from the Molten Metals Proximity to you.

Moonman,
    To each his own.
    I don't recall reading anywhere in this post about otheres ridiculing anyone for their ckoices, or methods.
    After 35 years of casting this way with no incidents to my casting hand, i'd say it works good for me.
    The only accident up to this point with my method is you!
    If you want to wear a fire rescue outfit, with a fresh air feed, Fine.
    Or sit and worry about your catastrophic body malfunction, Fine.

Moonman = Added to "My Ignore List" (Reason: Meaningless Babble)

Jeff

I don't usaully where gloves. when I do it is a lite weight cotton glove. I know I am taking a chance but I like feel what I am doing. I know some will say you'll feel the burn and yes that can happen. I won't where gloves for much of anything. The only time I would wear them is when I worked in the oil field. Company policy for teh fracturing company I worked for. I hated it worse then the crappy weather conditions.
    Garbear
    Garbear

Boolit Master

For the guys who don't like to wear gloves, maybe these would be a good compromise. I found them to be too thin as I am used to using 2 Ove' Gloves.
    http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713494

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just can't seem to work up a big panic about not wearing gloves.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    No gloves for me thanks defiantly a personal choice

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    It's AMAZING, being 1/2 SAFE. I worked in industry for decades and I've seen it all. Some people simply DO NOT LISTEN OR FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. SAFETY IS NOT A 1/2 WAY MEASURE.

Safety and Laws were enacted because they were PAID FOR with the blood of many, Why would you even risk 1 glove, 1/2 safe, or consider adding your blood to the ones that went before you.

Accidents happen, Heaven forbid that you would have a seizure, major Charlie- Horse, or a Heart Attack while casting and what the potential result could turn out to be from the Molten Metals Proximity to you.
    You know, if I have a heart attack while casting I'm as good as dead anyway since I'm alone and 20 minutes before an ambulance might get here anyway. Give it a rest and stop preaching at us will ya? You do what you want, I'll do what I want and we can both be happy, eh?

Boolit Buddy
    safety equipment.it wont kill you.use it for all it is worth

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    You know, if I have a heart attack while casting I'm as good as dead anyway since I'm alone and 20 minutes before an ambulance might get here anyway. Give it a rest and stop preaching at us will ya? You do what you want, I'll do what I want and we can both be happy, eh?
    Hear, hear. I'll go ahead and toss another "act of god" out there one can or can't plan for. Of course in my case simple inspection would have saved me some pain.

While I'm a fairly safe individual repitition is the same as complaciancy in many cases. While casting one night I'd done a few runs and decided it was time to empty the pot and head inside. Wearing my glasses, long sleves and gloves I retrived my tongs and pliers to lift the pot to pour into an ingot mold. I carefully lifted the handle grasped with tongs and closed the pliers around the tip tab. I lifted and turned to my mold table and the pot dumped. One of the "ears" had seperated from the pot and dumped the contents on my running shoe. Nedless to say I tossed the implements and quickly slid the shoe off noting the ripping feeling from the top of my foot. Pretty bad 3rd degree on the top and I needed to debride the cotton off it too. No lasting damage but to my pride.

You can be as safe as you want and $hi7 still happens. I won't preach to anyone, just to say, accept the consiquences if it does.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    For the guys who don't like to wear gloves, maybe these would be a good compromise. I found them to be too thin as I am used to using 2 Ove' Gloves.
    http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713494
    I had a set of nomex gloves a long time ago. They are long gone now. I had forgot about those and they look like a good comprimise. I may get a pair and see if I like them to cast. They be thinner and easier to cast with then t he cotton ones I use if I remember to use them. Thanks
    GArbear
    Garbear