Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modify Lee Mold

Boolit Grand Master

Modify Lee Mold

I realize for the people who have been forum members here for a long time that this information isn't going to be very interesting to you.

However, we are adding new members at a rapid rate now. Many will be on a budget and trying to cast good bullets with economical Lee double cav. and single cav. molds.

I had a 41 Mag. single cav. mold that was over 25 yrs. old. The sprue plate screw would not stay tight ( I know that isn't new is it ? ). I decided to do my standard modification to this particular mold and get my dig. camera out and shoot a few photos that might make it educational for a " newcomer " that has never seen the process before.

As many of you are aware, Lee often ships molds that have the sprue plate screw so tight that within just a few opening and closing of the blocks, you've got damaged, galled blocks.

The sprue plate is far too tight on many of the Lee molds and there was no lubrication ( need to use Bullplate ).
    All this combines to render the molds un serviceable in a fairly short period of time.

By removing the screw plate hold down screw and removing the sprue plate and drilling and tapping a 10-24 threaded hole, this problem can be fixed permanently. This allows you to put any amount of sprue plate tension on the plate that you need and then lock the screw down just as you would a Lyman , RCBS, or SAECO mold.

Here are photos showing how I do this modification. I hope this is helpful to
    many of you young casters :

It is very possible that there are other sizes of taps and drill bits to do this job with.
    This size works well for me however :

Here is a poor quality movie ( took the movie with my cell phone ) that will let you see the end result of this work.

Thanks,

Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WAnEcgdFJk
    Last edited by Ben; 01-09-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Much apreciated, Ben!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Very nice.

Boolit Master

I have read several descriptions but no pics ever. Thanks a bunch!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I use 8/32 NC set screws with a bit of brass stock placed in the hole first as to not mess up the threads on the sprue plate bolt. I'll add that cutting threads does require something to cut with such as aluminum thread cutting fluid and I've used dish soap, beeswax, and now probably the best that I have around here as a boolit caster Bullplate sprue lube. Adding to the picture show is some Lee six cavity work on the sprue plate pivot screw and the sprue plate hold down bolt.

Ben bc of your post I went and picked up a 10-24 tap and some set screws. Thank you.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Nice, helpful post Ben!

I've used small bits of lead like #7-1/2 shot between the lock screw and sprue cutter hinge screw/bolt so as to not harm the threads.

Boolit Grand Master
    DragoonDrake

It will be $ and time well spent. It is a big step forward with a Lee 1 cav. or 2 cav. mold.

Ben

Thank you for remembering the newbies Ben. I've gotten so that I forget that they are here sometimes.

I've used #8-32, 10-32, & 10-24 set screws for that purpose. They all seem to work. I've taken to using the #8 lately because it leaves me enough meat to move up to a bigger one later if I run into trouble. Also, I drop a piece of lead bird shot under the set screw before I install it. That keeps the threads of the sprue pivot screw from getting munched up.

Another board member recently posted instructions for getting that sprue pivot screw out without wrecking it. That can be a trick sometimes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109241
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Nice Ben

I just quoted the OP of this thread in the Lee-Menting sticky thread so the principle info is now part of that sticky for future reference.

Boolit Grand Master
    turbo1889 :

Thanks for your efforts and help. I hope this post will be beneficial to many of our young bullet casters that are just getting started.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Once I remove the screw, I also stone the bottom of the sprue plate flat with a hard Arkanas stone. Also stone the edges of the sprue plate to remove any burrs. In addition, I chamfer the top of the screw hole as the self tapping screw pulls up a ring of material which prevents the plate from lying flat.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

small tip when using set screws that I use on all my die lock rings, etc.

Put a single piece of lead shot under the set screw. It will mash down and hold things very secure, while also saving the threads of the screw you are trying to set.

Boolit Grand Master
    casterofboolits & oscarflytyer , JIMinPHX :

Those are great suggestions that you have offered .

I wanted this article to offer a new caster some options when they purchased an inexpensive off the shelf Lee bullet mold that would make their casting sessions run smoother. You contributions have helped greatly.

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Mold

Right On Ben!

Hi guys,

I am a 65 year old newbie. This basic information is what guys like me need.

Thanks for not fogetting us Ben.

Boolit Grand Master
    Space Cadet :

There are many on this forum that do a much better job than I'm doing of helping other casters. Thanks for those nice remarks however.

Ben

Boolit Master

Forgive my ignorance but does the set screw lock on the sprue plate screw via friction to keep the screw from backing out?

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but does the set screw lock on the sprue plate screw via friction to keep the screw from backing out?
    Yes.....

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't a piece of lead shot under the set screw just melt when the mold comes up to temp? It will expand some when melted, but unless the lead shot is expanded by the pressure exerted by the tip of the set screw into all voids in the tapped hole under the set screw it seems to me that it would no longer exert much pressure on the sprue plate screw. Or is an additional tightening necessary after the mold is up to temp to competely expand the lead shot?

In practice this may work fine, but I'm just wondering. A small piece of brass under the set screw, or a brass set screw would seem a better choice to me...........Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast