Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lead 'test blocks' for Brinell test

In Remembrance

Lead 'test blocks' for Brinell test

I work in a shop that does a lot of Brinell and Rockwell hardness testing, and have become very interested in testing lead, 5 to 35 Brinell accurately. I have studied this and am ready to begin testing, except for one thing.
    For the harder metals we have certified test blocks, to verify the testing machines accuracy.
    But for such low Brinell #'s as I want to test I can find no test blocks.
    'Pure' lead is Brinell 5...but I need something verifiably in the ranges I will be checking.
    Any source of 'test blocks'? Or is there any other substances that would unfailingly have a known hardness in that range?
    Without 'proof' and verification, all tests are worthless.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Grande View Post
    For the harder metals we have certified test blocks, to verify the testing machines accuracy.
    But for such low Brinell #'s as I want to test I can find no test blocks.
    'Pure' lead is Brinell 5...but I need something verifiably in the ranges I will be checking.
    http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm, one of our sponsors here, offers 99.9% pure lead and I assume certification would be available.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

Yap you can try rotometals as Bob says or if you know a bench rest shooter that makes his own jacketed bullets he will have lead wire for making cores, this lead wire is certifiable and he may have the certs, see if you can get a 1/2-3/4 pound sample, you can use it to qualify the hardness tester.
    The test piece needs to be a minmum 1/2" thick and fairly flat on both sides.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

You might try pure Tin and Bismuth. I don't recall the exact hardness, but they should do what you want.

Pb, Sn and Bi should cover both ends and the middle of the range you're interested in.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    i think he's asking for a source of test material "verifiably in the ranges I will be checking" such as BHN 12 or 15 or whatever.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    i think he's asking for a source of test material "verifiably in the ranges I will be checking" such as BHN 12 or 15 or whatever.

Exactly. Pure metals are as consistent and varifiable as it gets.

Like I said earlier, I don't recall the exact figures, but the hardness of pure Sn is near the middle of the desired range and Bi is near the top.

Along with Pb, that provides three data points. Is there something else I'm missing?

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Exactly. Pure metals are as consistent and varifiable as it gets.

Like I said earlier, I don't recall the exact figures, but the hardness of pure Sn is near the middle of the desired range and Bi is near the top.

Along with Pb, that provides three data points. Is there something else I'm missing?

Jerry
    That's excellent. Pure Tin and Bismuth, if 'in the middle of the desired range...and at the top' seems a perfect solution.
    I'll check and try to find out the hardness of those.
    Thanks.
    Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

By the way, with my method (12.7 mm ball and 100kgf) I'm getting good numbers at the low, verifiable pure lead test, but my tests of various boolits from here and there show what I suspect to be too much hardness, contrary to what you might think... and I'm thinking an error in measurement (force) might be cumulative, so that the error increases as does the hardness.

Boolit Master

Talking

One way to eliminate the force error is to use your steel ball with a known sample of pure lead and your sample in a vise making a dent in both simultaneously.