WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: So why do 336s have a two-piece firing pin?

Boolit Master

So why do 336s have a two-piece firing pin?

I recently got one. It had lightly struck primers the first time out, and several mis-fires the next time out. I stripped the bolt and of course the firing pin and its channel were cruddy. Cleaned it up and the problem went away. But, I don't see the point in the two-piece firing pin set-up. That toggling shorty the hammer strikes seems like trouble waiting to happen. What's the reason for its existence?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

The "toggle piece" is to keep the gun from fireing unless the action is fully locked. The is a piece in the lever or breach block (i dint remember) that brings the toggle piece in alignment with the fireing pin only when the lever is in the fully closed position.
    Hope I made this clear as mud.

Banned

Yup. The locking bolt hits the transfer pin in the breechbolt and tips the front up in line with the firing pin just as the locking bolt clicks home. That way it won't rip all four of your fingers off by firing out of battery when you bump the trigger closing the action.

Gear

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I was handed a Marlin 336 in 44 Magnum from 1964 earlier this fall, that was before they reintroduced the 1894, it would not fire. I took it apart, surprisingly easy, cleaned everything, inspected tried again. Same failure. I finally figured out that the lever was bent. It had jammed and the heavy equipment operator up in the operation station had tried to force it by pulling harder on the up lever. The lever was bowed enough that the lever lock wouldn't mate and consequently the locking bolt could not be raised into position to align the rear firing pin and allow the firing sequence to proceed. I tried straightening the lever but it was twisted as well as bowed, I just ordered a new one from GunParts and all is well in Marlin Land once again.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    My first lever rifle was a 336 in 32 Win Special. Got it back about 1966 or so. One day out fox hunting in late Jan the temp was about 0 and the first fox I saw that day was real close. Quiet cocked the hammer and CLICK. Fox was gone and I was dumbfounded.
    Got back home and started looking real close at that firing pin system and discovered it was 2 pieces... I was dumbfounded again. Who in there right mind would turn to the shades of 1903 and do that all over again. Well further investigation brought me to light and I discovered it was a good idea. What I also did find was frozen motor oil in the firing pin channel. Never had any problem again even in colder weather with that fine rifle.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I like a one piece firing pin if at all possible. That said, the Marlin is two piece for good reason and has a track record of dependability that is superb! Yes, two piece may show tendencies to act up with dirt and crud sooner.. so keep it clean.

After market, one piece firing pins are available for the Marlins.

Boolit Buddy
    The older Marlins were stamped "Marlin Safety" right on the receiver

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    After market, one piece firing pins are available for the Marlins.
    Who has'em? I want one for Anita's gun.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Go over to Marlinowners forum and ask around. That is where I saw mention of it when I was working on that FTF 336 44.

I've installed a bunch of one piece firing pins. They make them in titanium and tool steel. Use the tool steel, as the titanium can shatter. The tool steel pins are cheaper too.

AJ

Evil Roy has them for 1894 models.

http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com...ts.shtml#M1894

Moderator Emeritus

I've gotten all of my one piece firing pins for my Marlins from Pioneer Gun Works: www.pioneergunworks.com

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Cowboy and Indian Store in Orange Co. CA Does lots of SASS work and regularly puts one piece firing pins in 1894s.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies.

However, I'm seeing that one piece pins are out there and that sounds good.

I just checked my 336 and Model 94, pulling the trigger and closing the lever. Neither will let the hammer drop until the pin behind the trigger is raised by the lever. On the Marlin, I can clearly see the rear firing pin toggle into position before the lever stops moving, about the same time as the lever begins raising the pin behind the trigger. So, I don't believe the two-piece firing pin keeps the rifle from firing out of battery. The pin is in place and the bolt locked before the lever seats and depresses the trigger pin. My Winchester works the same way.

Sounds like I need to get me a one-piece firing pin and live happily everafter.

Boolit Buddy
    The pin under the lever prevents the trigger from being pulled. The two piece firing pin prevents out of battery discharge in the event that the hammer slips from a worn sear or hammer notch. I am sure no one would ever take a file to these areas, right? The pin under the lever will not prevent the hammer from dropping in this second situation. The pin under the lever is not a hammer block safety.
    John

Boolit Master
    Marlin put in the two piece firing pin as a safety idea to prevent people from blowing themselves up. An old timmer years ago told me that he regularly keeps the lever open when hunting with the hammer back and a finger unter the lever bow to prevent accidentaly closing the lever. When he saw game all he had to do was shift his grip and squeeze the lever closed and he was ready to shoot. personally I never have had a problem with the two piece firing pin. The Winchester 94 also has the same idea in that the rear part of the pin is in the breach locking bolt and does not line up with the firing pin until the blot is in alignment.

Boolit Master
    JMH54738 / NickSS....Thanks for passing along the ideas...I'll consider.