Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the various Baptist congregations

Boolit Master

On the various Baptist congregations

Pretty sure that this doesn't qualify as deep theological discussion, but it's Friday.

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
    He said, "Why not? Nobody loves me."
    I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
    He said, "Yes."
    I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
    He said, "A Christian."
    I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
    He said, "Protestant."
    I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
    He said, "Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
    I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Boolit Master
    The Jews don't recognize Christ, the Muslims don't recognize Christ, and the Baptist don't recognize each other in the liquor store!

Boolit Master
    I am an independent Baptist.
    I believe my Lord put alcohol, opium,
    sweetgrass, frankincense, spices
    on earth to ease pain,
    not to cause pain.
    As I enjoy saying:
    you have a choice.
    Choose well.

Boolit Master

There are 210 different types of Baptist in the US.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    and 211 opinions on any subject.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I'd have to see some documentation on numbers like that before I swallowed it as stated.

Boolit Master
    My grandfather was a Northern Baptist,
    he didn't get along with Southern Baptist,
    as an Independent Baptist,
    a jeremiad:
    America has failed church, as
    church has failed America.
    You can find some of us that still believe.
    Over 1600 people have been killed
    in church in this century, mostly Baptists.
    I think we have the deceiver's attention.
    "Demons believe, and tremble".

Football on Sunday.
    Easter bunny.
    Candy on Halloween.
    Santa for Christmas.
    Getting hammered for New Years.
    Worshiping Fords.
    Coveting everything "new".
    Where's your joy?
    Alcohol will kill joy.
    Make you shoot, and miss.
    Your choice.
    Choose well.

Boolit Master
    I would take 210 as a good start at counting.
    Pentecostals, Evangelicals, Free Will, Northern, Southern, Independent, every time anyone has a hissy fit, half the congregation moves next door, puts up a new sign.
    At least we aren't the Church of England anymore. She is a nice enough lady, but the Queen is not my Pope.

All I would ask of a church is basing worship on the Word of God. Gospel- read it!
    Repent- turn from sin- choose life
    Redeem- believe the promise that your sins were paid for
    Renew- become a new man, find your joy!

The early church met on the roof while the Romans were banging on the door. Will we come to that?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I'd have to see some documentation on numbers like that before I swallowed it as stated.

I will have to see if I still have my list made it because my old man was a Hard Shell and the last boat I was on the chaplain was American Baptist. They were the two Extremes: the first one all you could do was Work and Church the second one you could drink, smoke runaround. That's why I do KJB and Jesus but not church. Been over 25 years sense I did the research surprised me too never knew about Calvinism or the Anabaptism.

Boolit Master

My Dad converted to Judism when He married My Mom. Was a good practicing Jew until the divorce 23yrs later.
    He always said if you put 2 Jews in a room, you'll get 3 Opinions.

I married a Southern Baptist.
    Found out if you put 3 So Baptists in a room, you'll get a bar brawl.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    My Dad converted to Judism when He married My Mom. Was a good practicing Jew until the divorce 23yrs later.
    He always said if you put 2 Jews in a room, you'll get 3 Opinions.

I married a Southern Baptist.
    Found out if you put 3 So Baptists in a room, you'll get a bar brawl.
    I married a Catholic and let me tell you that went over well; Not. How I found out she was a Catholic was funny; " In a phone booth telling my parents I'm getting married and my mom asked what religion is she, so I ask her the Answer Catholic. It would have went over been better if she had been a street walker.

Boolit Master
    Brigadier General Henry Roberts wrote Roberts Rules of Order because of a Baptist prayer meeting. Was needful.
    Old business
    New business
    Motion to adjourn
    Seconded.

Boolit Master
    I will have to see if I still have my list made it because my old man was a Hard Shell and the last boat I was on the chaplain was American Baptist.

They were the two Extremes: the first one all you could do was Work and Church the second one you could drink, smoke runaround. That's why I do KJB and Jesus but not church. Been over 25 years sense I did the research surprised me too never knew about Calvinism or the Anabaptism.
    Okay, you name two and I can accept that as true. But we're still two hundred eight away from two hundred ten.

The real problem with this subject is that so many religious splinter groups call themselves what they are not. Example: You describe "American Baptist" but nothing about them is Baptist except the name they have chosen and that doesn't make them Baptist does it?

I mean a name is just a name, it doesn't mean anything if that's not what it is. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church and never even heard of "American Baptist" before now. Those people could just as well call themselves Methodist or Presbyterian but, if that group's doctrine is not the core of what they teach, it's not what they are!

There are several legitimate groups sailing under the name of Baptist but it's by no means as many groups as what you've read; I could just as well call myself "handsome" (and even believe it!) but it would be a lie because that's not what I am. Ditto, by your description, American Baptists are NOT Baptist and I suspect that truth applies to the vast majority of those two hundred ten groups who claim to be Baptist!

That extends to other groups as well. I once read a long list of religious groups professing to be some form of Catholic but, in fairness, most of them really aren't Catholic at all (meaning they're much weirder than the real thing).
    Last edited by 1hole; 10-01-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Fellas, let me inject a caution here. There's nothing that will start a fight more readily than criticizing a man's dog, rifle, pick-up truck, or religion. We don't want to insinuate that some religious groups are "weird", because they might think the same of your beliefs, and then the stuff will hit the fan and the fight will be on. So, feel free to exercise your 1st Amendment Rights, but with circumspection. Please.
    DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Okay, you name two and I can accept that as true. But we're still two hundred eight away from two hundred ten.

The real problem with this subject is that so many religious splinter groups call themselves what they are not. Example: You describe "American Baptist" but nothing about them is Baptist except the name they have chosen and that doesn't make them Baptist does it?

I mean a name is just a name, it doesn't mean anything if that's not what it is. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church and never even heard of "American Baptist" before now. Those people could just as well call themselves Methodist or Presbyterian but, if that group's doctrine is not the core of what they teach, it's not what they are!

There are several legitimate groups sailing under the name of Baptist but it's by no means as many groups as what you've read; I could just as well call myself "handsome" (and even believe it!) but it would be a lie because that's not what I am. Ditto, by your description, American Baptists are NOT Baptist and I suspect that truth applies to the vast majority of those two hundred ten groups who claim to be Baptist!

That extends to other groups as well. I once read a long list of religious groups professing to be some form of Catholic but, in fairness, most of them really aren't Catholic at all (meaning they're much weirder than the real thing).

Call me anything if and until I can find my research from back then. But here in Florida most places are removing Baptist from their name. From what I went through growing up I just don't do Organized Religion.

Boolit Master
    A baptist believes in immersion.
    That's all. You have to get dunked.
    Like Jesus did.
    With a profession of faith,
    not sprinkling.
    A baby, and most people
    cannot profess. Today.
    Maybe tomorrow.
    Baptism
    Wedding
    Last Supper
    Funeral
    A ceremony to state what you believe.
    A joining, a promise, not a big deal
    unless it's your deal.
    Was once an ordinary thing to do.
    A choice.
    Have we forgotten?
    Choose well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    ... We don't want to insinuate that some religious groups are "weird", because they might think the same of your beliefs .... feel free to exercise your 1st Amendment Rights, but with circumspection. Please. DG
    Exactly so, that's why I spoke as I did. Seems we all think everyone else is weird in some ways but it's not, by that fact, something threatening and should not be taken so. I wrote those words "tongue-in-cheek" to illustrate that we:

(1) shouldn't be unreasonably hard on others and
    (2) we shouldn't be snowflakes ourselves, always looking for real or imagined "insults" (such as this one).

One reason older people tend to be happier than younger people is old folk aren't always on the lookout for something to make them angry! Witness; you don't see many older people on TV screaming, burning, destroying because they are childishly enraged that the world thinks differently from them.

Bottom line, weird people who often disagree with us are the only people we have. If we can't live with and love weird people as they are then we wouldn't care much for anyone. Nor could/would anyone else care much for us. (And THAT is the point of the parable told by the OP.)

Boolit Master
    Call me anything if and until I can find my research from back then.
    Dan, I don't want to call you anything and you don't need to look up what you read for my sake. I'm confident that you read about "210 kinds of Baptists"; my disagreement is with whomever wrote that number. Baptists have split and re-split through their history but they aren't unique in that, it's happened to every denomination, including Roman Catholics. My point is, none of them have honestly split 210 times in anything but misused names.

But here in Florida most places are removing Baptist from their name.
    The Southern Baptist Convention originally used that name to differentiate conservative members from the growing religious "liberals" who believed they knew more about what Christians should do and think than the Holy Bible; so the SBC grew out of a split in doctrines. No surprise there, differences in the view of scripture is what has driven most splits.

Sadly, the same thing is re-occurring today. Many of the SBC's "leadership" of big city churches are again scoffing at scripture. The more Biblically sound congregations are removing "Baptist" from their signs because they want no part of what's being done and taught under their banner. Thus, they are abandoning the name of "Southern Baptist" in order to remain true to their conservative belief in scripture; I'm proud of them for that.

From what I went through growing up I just don't do Organized Religion.
    Good luck!

We both grew up in a SBC church (in Florida) but, for a variety of Biblical reasons, we've happily been members of an unaffiliated church for some 15 years. Hope it works out well for you but I do caution you to be careful because there is much less long term spiritual safety in following a disorganized church than an organized one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    A baptist believes in immersion.
    That's all. You have to get dunked.
    Well, that's true as far as it goes but it's a lot more than that. Baptists also hold Calvinist views of salvation by faith and a God granted grace, not works; they believe that salvation includes a new (spiritual) birth that cannot be lost again; they (wrongly) believe in direct democratic (congregational) rule for each local church; they (wrongly) believe that anyone who even casually drinks any amount of alcohol in any form is sinning against God. They (correctly) don't claim that the bread and wine of communion are changed into anything but are simply objects of spiritual study and contemplation. Etc.

(Baptised).. Like Jesus did. With a profession of faith, not sprinkling.
    Maybe, maybe not. Trouble is, we have no ironclad assurance that John baptised (washed) Jesus by dunking.

But, we do KNOW Jesus was not baptised for the remission of sin nor as a representation of a new birth. Nor would he have been baptised according to the scriptural admonition: "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." All meaning that John the baptizer did NOT found the Baptist church and we are not "following Jesus" when we get baptised by dunking - IF that's what John really did.

John's baptism was a wholly different spiritual thing; IF John's [i.e., Jesus'] baptism was the same baptism as the New Testament baptism, the Acts 19:3 event would NOT have made any difference! Ergo, we cannot be "following Jesus", as such, when we get dunked by a New Testament minister.

I certainly have a view of how water baptism should be done but I'm not going to post it or squabble over it. We all can - and should - hold to and rightly follow our personal views of the manner and meaning of water baptism for ourselves but when we get insistent that our view is the only possible Biblical view we err in spirit if not in fact. Fact is, IF scripture was perfectly clear about it, I'm sure we would all agree over the "right" way to view baptism. But, it is NOT all that clear so I use Paul's words as a guide (1 Cor 10:23-29; Rom 14:23). Meaning, if you're happy with your view then I'm happy for you; rest easy, you won't go to hell if you get it wrong!

Baptist don't recognize each other in the liquor store Incorrect! we just don't say hi. Wife went to catholic school, raised Batholic and changed when we got married. We decided a compromise was southern baptist - no northern in Texas that I know of.
    Seriously, when I was a deacon it was 'no booze', otherwise no drunks. And service MUST get over in time for Cowboys game or beating the Methodists to Lubys.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast