RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Where are the Primers and Powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Always take gun store scuttlebutt with a LARGE dose of reality. The truth is that both Winchester and CCI are shipping primers on an almost daily basis.

I've seen both for sale in the past week or two.
    Right now I doubt you could find one retailer in Canada with new stock of either. "Out of Stock" appears on virtually all US made primers right now. There are less than a few off shore SPP, SPMP, SRP or LPP in any of the retailers up here. When you do find them they are old stock priced at around $7.50 to $9.00Cdn/100. I don't doubt CCI Win, and Rem are shipping primers. I am not so sure they are going to the reloading market.

Take Care

Bob

ps Compared to the US our consumption of primers I suspect would be served by over runs by the major suppliers. Our Military and LEO requirements would be substantial for loaded ammunition. I doubt hey have any problems getting loaded ammunition.
    Last edited by robertbank; 10-09-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Something like 5 million people became "new gun owners" in 2020. With gun-grabbing Biden installed in 2021, 3.2 million FBI background checks were made by May 2021, meaning even more "new gun owners" were created in 2021.

If each new owner bought two boxes of ammo (one for practice, one to have some ammo in the house) that is 18 million boxes of ammo, if not more.

Then there's the armed government bureaucracies like the FBI, CIA, Capital Police, the EPA, DoJ and School Board police going after Domestic Terrorist mothers complaining about CRT. Not to mention whatever secret police forces are deployed to arrest Americans and hold them without charges for ten months and counting.

Then there's the hundreds of millions of rounds left in Afghanistan to arm the Taliban.

Then Remington declared bankruptcy and its ammo plant was sold and relocated.

Add to that us real gun guys who buy a box now and then.

Then guys who never reloaded before thought, "Hey I need ammo! I'm getting into reloading!"

Soon, every die, press and pound of powder disappeared, probably sitting in garages, unopened.

I'm guessing every primer in America is dedicated to refilling the ammo supply lines or being hoarded.

Even percussion caps are unavailable from many suppliers.

I suggest you build a flintlock and buy some Triple 7, if you can find it....

Boolit Master

Always take gun store scuttlebutt with a LARGE dose of reality. The truth is that both Winchester and CCI are shipping primers on an almost daily basis.

I've seen both for sale in the past week or two.
    Shipping primers and not taking new retail orders are not mutually exclusive. They may have a year of back orders to fill..thus shipping daily. The key is reading...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Right now I doubt you could find one retailer in Canada with new stock of either. "Out of Stock" appears on virtually all US made primers right now. There are less than a few off shore SPP, SPMP, SRP or LPP in any of the retailers up here. When you do find them they are old stock priced at around $7.50 to $9.00Cdn/100. I don't doubt CCI Win, and Rem are shipping primers. I am not so sure they are going to the reloading market.

Take Care

Bob

ps Compared to the US our consumption of primers I suspect would be served by over runs by the major suppliers. Our Military and LEO requirements would be substantial for loaded ammunition. I doubt hey have any problems getting loaded ammunition.
    Here in the US primers are showing up on an almost daily basis...somewhere. These are all new primers.

There's a Discord server you can join to get alerts about in-stock primers. I was subscribed to it but got off the list because of all the alerts.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    Then Remington declared bankruptcy and its ammo plant was sold and relocated.

I'm guessing every primer in America is dedicated to refilling the ammo supply lines or being hoarded.
    The Remington ammo plant was not relocated. It's still in Lone Oak, just as it has been for the past 50 years.

Guess all you want. Primers are out there. Just last week I noticed them for sale at Bass Pro and Academy.
    NRA Benefactor.

The Remington ammo plant was not relocated. It's still in Lone Oak, just as it has been for the past 50 years.

Guess all you want. Primers are out there. Just last week I noticed them for sale at Bass Pro and Academy.
    Just got back from Academy and SR primers are on the shelves at $6.99/100 with a limit of 4 sleeves per day. No other primers were available. I picked up 4 sleeves for a friend of mine as I have no weapons that use small rifle primers.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I paid more than I would like but I picked up 1,000 small pistol primers this morning from Midway. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Just got back from Academy and SR primers are on the shelves at $6.99/100 with a limit of 4 sleeves per day. No other primers were available. I picked up 4 sleeves for a friend of mine as I have no weapons that use small rifle primers.

Slim
    Slim you can use them in place of SPP. I have not noticed any difference in performance over the Chronograph or on paper..

I just picked up 5,000 SPP made on Bosnia. Shipping and taxes included came to 5.62/100Cdn ($4.50US), They work but do require extra seating effort. About 50% won't fully seat using my Dillon 550, Those go to my single stage RCBS for fully seating. No US made primers on the shelves at any on my favourite retailers. I suspect when they arrive they will be in the $8.00/100 range minimum.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 10-13-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob,

The information on the Bosnian primers is interesting. I would not use them for the progressive loaders but if they had the same sizing variation in SRP they should be fine for loading .223 with the RCBS bench primer.

I doubt we will see them in the US, but if they show up that is good information to have. Thanks for posting.
    Don Verna

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345