Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Winchester 94 Big Bore

Boolit Buddy

.375 Winchester 94 Big Bore

Came across a .375 in about 98% condition with nice wood. They want 1K...is it worth any where near that?
    Thanks for any input.

Well, that is kind of astounding. I own two that are about NIB, and never thought that they'd be worth that much. However, prices on Winchesters seem to be up, as they are on most guns, even the surplus rifles that used to be inexpensive. So, in view of the fact that it was discontinued a now-long time ago, if it is in really nice condition I would at least consider it. I wouldn't be happy paying that price, and would shop around, but if it came right down to it and that was what I really wanted, I'd probably pay it.

Perma-Banned

It is not worth that...

I have seen a couple recently that went for $575 for one and the other was $650.

Just me, but I would not pay a dime more than $650 for one.

Boolit Master
    I gave $900 for a new unfired one last year. Wood stock xlt or what ever their fanciest grade was. I have not regretted it. Though I am partial to Marlins.
    If somone is selling them for 575-650, they must have been rough. I have not seen one of the BB 94 Winchesters sell for much less than 1000 for a while. May be a regional thing.......

Boolit Master
    The 375 BB Winchester 94's or the 375 Marlins are pretty scarce down here. Only saw 1 BB 735 Winchester and 1 Marlin. I bought the Winchester few years back after seeing it on a Sunday at a local gun show. Couldn't sleep that night so called the shop and told them I'm on my way to pay for it. Good thing I did as they were going to put it up for sale on the internet. Never saw another Winchester or Marlin in 375 since then. Have had that happen on more than one occasion. buy one then either never saw another in that condition at that price or way higher that what I was willing at the time. Frank

In Remembrance
    The last pristine big bore I looked at was probably 3 years ago at a gunshow. It was 356 and not the 375, asking price was 900, and it came close to coming home with me. Infact if he would have dealt just a hair on the price, I would have bit.
    Are they worth it, I don't know, but they don't come up here very often, and they sure aren't makeing any more of them.

Boolit Master
    New Win factory brass sometimes brings as much as $3 per case in auctions. The Hornady 220grn FP .375 component bullet brings a silly price too.

I have owned at least one of every .375 Win except the 99 Savage. The Winchester that I had was a piece of ****. The front sight was leaning way over to one side making it nearly impossible to sight in with the factory rear sight. My dealer returned it to the factory and they replaced the barrel and front sight but the new barrel was so crooked it still would not sight in. That rifle also had a problem with the lever disconnector so I sold that dog.

The Marlin I have is a better rifle than the Winchester. It is also a 1/2 magazine pistol grip with is a better looking rifle too.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Lots of them on gunbroker right now. Most are well under $1000

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I gave $900 for a new unfired one last year. Wood stock xlt or what ever their fanciest grade was. I have not regretted it. Though I am partial to Marlins.
    If somone is selling them for 575-650, they must have been rough. I have not seen one of the BB 94 Winchesters sell for much less than 1000 for a while. May be a regional thing.......
    NO...they were not rough...matter of fact, I considered them be in excellent condition. They had been for sale for several months...with no takers. Despite the talk about these...there is a very small segment of folks that want them...got to get them in front of someone that really wants them, for them to bring top dollar. If they had been so popular, they probably would not have been discontinued. There are plenty of folks like myself..that love lever guns, but have no desire to own the .375, the .307, the .356 or the vaunted 45/70...just have no use for them. But, if I were going to buy one, it would certainly be the 45/70 as it is not necessary to scrounge brass and get robbed for it, when you do find it.

If someone does want one...all that is necessary to get one at a "reasonable" price, is to determine what you are willing to pay and watch Gunbroker...you will get the chance to have one at your price.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-06-2017 at 02:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I really appreciate all the replies! I would like to have it and may make an offer of 700.00 just to see what he does. If no luck I will just keep looking. Thanks again gents.

Boolit Master

The challenge with the .375 winchester is finding one at a fair price. That is determined by the buyer more than the seller. Years ago you could pick them up for around 4-500 dollars but as time moves on the price is going to go up on all winchester's that were made in the USA and not Japan. The ones in Japan will set their own price standards and also be a niche market.

Where you are going to run into issues is finding brass for the .375 winchester as no one I know of is making it right now. It has been found that many can use the short 38-55 brass in them but then you are loading to 38-55 pressures and that isn't bad just have to remember that fact when reloading.

If you are really going to put down hard earned dollars on a .375 winchester make sure you get to actually have it in your hands. Check how it cycles, check the bore, check the action to see if it is full of crud, check the fit of the wood, check the bluing, check the sights make sure they are straight. Just a few things I have found to check when you are looking to buy a .375 winchester.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have a couple also and the really nice one was $575... but then that was a couple years back also.
    But having them and a couple JES rebored 336 Marlins in 375... The JES rifles cost far less and shoot as well if not better than the original BB 94's we have. We look at the BB's more as an investment now than a hunting rifle.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Winchester Big Bore 94. I got it on a swap for another rifle so I don't know what cash price he would have sold for. I have made ammo from 38/55 cases and even some from 30-30 (but are short). Factory 200 grain ammo is near 2200 fps and rocked you pretty good with that light rifle. I load a 235 cast FPGC around 1900 and I am very happy with it. Accurate and hits hard enough for anything I need.

Banned

A few years ago, I bit the bullet and dropped a lot of coin on a Savage 99 Brush Gun in .358 Winchester and was not disappointed. In my opinion, based on how I hunt and using cast bullets, it is as close to the perfect deer rifle as exists. Savage made the same rifle in .375 Winchester and one day I'll probably sell a kidney or something to buy one.

I love 99s, but I could probably be persuaded to buy a Marlin or Winchester if the price was right.

In Remembrance
    I have ever seen a couple of the M99's in 375 and they were priced out of my reach, but man would I love one.

Boolit Master
    Just saw a nice one, had a couple of blemishes, go for $600. I was mighty tempted, but had JUST bought a 1895CB.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have ever seen a couple of the M99's in 375 and they were priced out of my reach, but man would I love one.
    Somewhere in all my junk I have a long, octagon barrel from a .303 Savage one and the magazine rotor. Hoping someday to build one using those parts, but I'll have to find a smith who knows what he's doing with modifying the rotor to get it to feed. I'll probably still spend less than on an original brush gun version.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Henry needs to bring out a .375!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    The Big Bores are nice guns, I have seven of them so I guess you could say I'm partial to them. The .375's can range in price quite a bit, but they are extremely well made. Finding ammunition will keep you busy and condition is, of course, paramount. Here are three Winchester .375 BB's in my inventory, along with a Marlin .375 and a NIB .375 Savage 99----I like the cartridge. Regards, 021
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4731.jpg  
    Last edited by 021; 02-07-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback! As I said I would like to have this rifle but at 1K it sounds at least 200.00 too high and if I am going to cross that boundary there are other firearms I would choose to own. I will just have to make an offer and see where it goes.

Again, all the posts are much appreciated.