WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F-150 gas mileage

Boolit Master
    My 2019 F150 w/ 5.0 can get 24mpg hwy if I keep it around 55 but as soon as I get in city it drops to 18-21 depending.
    My biggest complaint is the EPA exceptable oil usage of 1qt in 5000 miles. Their bandage is a different dip stick and adding another qt oil.
    This is under 50k factory warranty.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Do you have the V6 Ecoboost?
    Yes.

Boolit Master
    im guessing my 2002 f150 only gets 13mpg is because of the single cam 5.4 engine. in 2003 they changed the design of the 5.4
    or maybe its just plain about wore out with 225000 miles

Probably the altered design. My 05 I mentioned earlier has just turned over 217,000 and has used oil ever since I bought it at 95,000. Just gor back from 950 mile trip. First 450 got 18.3, coming home ended up 17.4, but had a lot of stop and go before I got on the highway and had a higher load sticking up as air brake. Recliner in the back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

15 Ram 5.7 Hemi. I get 15 travelling mountains, crossing the continental divide often and averaging 75-80 mph. Towing the boat gets me 10, the camper 7-8. I get 17-19 in the flatlands but never see roads that are not posted at least 65-70. Travelling at lower speeds would be dangerous.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My small utility van gets the equivalent of 60-70 mpg with its turbo diesel. The new car gets closer to 80 mpg. Turbo diesel is very efficient these days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have two F150's. The 2015 V8 gets about 18-21 MPG, the 2016 V6 gets about 1-2 MPG more.

If I keep the V6 at 55 mph it will get 24 MPG.

I had a Mercedes E Class with the engine that would run 4, 6 or 8 cylinders and it was amazing. 28 MPG on the highway. Best car I have ever owned. Hit two deer (doe and fawn) and totaled it at 275k miles.
    These days hitting a deer with your primary vehicle could be a big hit. Used market is way over priced and desireable new vehicles are in short supply.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Are you getting the 30.5MPG number by pencil and paper or by what your dash is telling you? They can be grossly different numbers. My 7.3 dually says I'm getting 18.1 (I drive like a grandpa), but by math I am getting 15. In naturally aspirated engines with automatic trans, these numbers are usually close (within 1mpg). On a turboed or supercharged engine, they can be as much as 10mpg difference between the 2 numbers.
    Last edited by wolfwing; 06-03-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    My 2019 F150 w/ 5.0 can get 24mpg hwy if I keep it around 55 but as soon as I get in city it drops to 18-21 depending.
    My biggest complaint is the EPA exceptable oil usage of 1qt in 5000 miles. Their bandage is a different dip stick and adding another qt oil.
    This is under 50k factory warranty.

Mike
    Don’t want to derail, but I feel your pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    Are you getting the 30.5MPG number by pencil and paper or by what your dash is telling you? They can be grossly different numbers. My 7.3 dually says I'm getting 18.1 (I drive like a grandpa), but by math I am getting 15. In naturally aspirated engines with automatic trans, these numbers are usually close (within 1mpg). On a turboed or supercharged engine, they can be as much as 10mpg difference between to 2 numbers.
    That is what is funny about the digital setup on my dash. It says I am getting between 20.5 and 21.1 mpg but when I check the mileage against actual gas usage, it has been consistently about 5-8 mpg higher by pencil and paper.

Boolit Master
    Just drove my '99 F350 from Boise to Winnemucca ( we'll miss you Ward! ).
    Pulling a 26ft travel trailer. I got 7.9 mpg, figured by pencil and paper...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

My present car, a 2017 Toyota Avalon, doesn't have a digital gas mileage readout. Just an estimate of "Miles to Empty". I don't trust it below about 50 miles. In 5½ years we've only put about 41K miles on this car. Not even broken in.

Calculating MPG, to my way of thinking, can only be done by using the trip odometer and the gallons to fill since last fill. Last weekends trip calculated out at just under 30 MPG. When most of the driving is in town, I calculate approx 25-26. As a previous poster mentioned, I drive like Grandpop (grandchildren's name for me).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    That is what is funny about the digital setup on my dash. It says I am getting between 20.5 and 21.1 mpg but when I check the mileage against actual gas usage, it has been consistently about 5-8 mpg higher by pencil and paper.
    Fantastic!!!

Boolit Master
    its all them digital gadgets that's the reason they need so many computer chips in new vehicles , what a wasted effort, most that stuff is useless or not necessary.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the biggest factors in a trucks fuel economy is the gear ratio. there are several options usually from heavy trailer packages that may be 3.83 to 4.11 and the lighter trailer packages that may be 3.53 or there about. A driving truck may be in the 2.83 to 3.11 This affects the engines rpm at a given speed.

I remember some old pick ups on farms here flat head 6s 4 speed manuals and 5.10 gear ratio no economy top end of 40-45 mph but would pull a house. LOL

Boolit Master

I'm leaving in half an hour for a 600-mile round trip to Boise and back to pick up a new motorcycle. I'll be in a 2019 4Runner that averages 15.8 mpg. With the trailer, I'll likely get 13 mpg.

It's going to be an expensive day. At least the full tank in it is a couple of months old and was bought about $.30 cheaper per gallon, lol.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    have safe trip and enjoy that new 650

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Just drove my '99 F350 from Boise to Winnemucca ( we'll miss you Ward! ).
    Pulling a 26ft travel trailer. I got 7.9 mpg, figured by pencil and paper...
    I don't know how to break it to ya, but I get 7.4 mpg in my 99 Western Star pulling 80K. And the ride is a whole lot more comfortable! Although the last 3 years I have been at 110K and at 5.25 mpg.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    have safe trip and enjoy that new 650
    Got home safely, but had to pay $5.29 per gallon at one station in the middle of Idaho.

When I left at 8:00 this morning, gas in town was $4.89 a gallon. When I rolled back into town at 10 pm, it was $5.05 a gallon.

Crazy!

But the bike made it safely home.

Attachment 300992
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One of the biggest factors in a trucks fuel economy is the gear ratio. there are several options usually from heavy trailer packages that may be 3.83 to 4.11 and the lighter trailer packages that may be 3.53 or there about. A driving truck may be in the 2.83 to 3.11 This affects the engines rpm at a given speed.

I remember some old pick ups on farms here flat head 6s 4 speed manuals and 5.10 gear ratio no economy top end of 40-45 mph but would pull a house. LOL
    I've got the towing package on mine. I'm thinking of changing the gears for increased mileage as I'm not going to come close to towing to it's rated capacity. 2-3,000 is about it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast