RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of Control Cost Of Powder And Primers At LGS

Boolit Grand Master

Out of Control Cost Of Powder And Primers At LGS

Saw a billboard on I40 for a $189 shotgun so stopped to scope it out. On the shelf was some standard powder. 4850, 335, 4350 etc. The price, though, was silly. $75 lb. Started talking to the man behind the counter and asked about primers.
    "We have some, $40" .
    "Not bad per thousand"
    "No, a hundred"
    Seriously, $75 powder and $40/100 primers?
    Hope they like them as i doubt they are going to sell much at that price.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I would not be going back to that store. I quit a local store, gander mountain and bass pro shop because of pricing. He can eat his $75 powder.

Boolit Master

Gun Show today; brother got (2) one pound H335 for $70 out the door.

Boolit Master

I have enough powder and primers and bullets to last a while but if prices stay at these crazy levels I will be selling the majority of my reloading equipment and casting equipment.

Boolit Master
    Our lgs is not quite that bad but he's still ripping people off. Powder is 20.00 to 25.00 over retail per pound and primers are 15.99 per 100 limit of 3 trays. like the rest of us I'll be glad when all this c--p is back to more supply than demand. Then hopefully these scalpers will be remembered for there efforts. We had one shop here a couple of years back when ar's went nuts who was selling cheap brand ar's for 2500.(bushmaster) rugers were 2800 and colts started a 3000. When the market stabilized his customers rememberd those "deals" and he runs a car wash now.

Our guy is pretty good.
    When he gets powder in, he sells it with whatever normal mark up is.
    I haven't bought any in a few months, but it was in the mid-high $20.oos for Red Dot when I got a couple one pound bottles.
    I'm not sure what the going rate is, but it didn't seem too bad.
    But when it's gone---- it's gone until he can get more in.

I think his customer base is content with that concept rather than being scalped.

When he got primers, he'd put a limit of two flats so they could get spread around some.
    I think they were $8.oo, but I still have plenty for what I do now days, so I left 'em.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-23-2022 at 11:35 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I guess I am not very optimistic. I don't believe things will get any where back to what they were. Not as long as the owners of Federal,Speer, Remington are the only owners. They have no need to. Most reloaders think they are our bestest buddies and 2A supporters. They are not. They are in business to make money. Hand over fist at anyone's expense.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have enough powder and primers and bullets to last a while but if prices stay at these crazy levels I will be selling the majority of my reloading equipment and casting equipment.
    Wait too long and you may have a hard time giving it away.

Boolit Master
    mid south and powder valley both have price increases but they are still much lower cost than the rest. IMHO the rest of them can keep their over priced stuff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I guess I am not very optimistic. I don't believe things will get any where back to what they were. Not as long as the owners of Federal,Speer, Remington are the only owners. They have no need to. Most reloaders think they are our bestest buddies and 2A supporters. They are not. They are in business to make money. Hand over fist at anyone's expense.

ACC
    exactly...its over folks this is the new normal especially when it comes to primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Saw a SW M&P 4in 10mm I've been thinking of at that gunshop. Ky Gun and several other places right about $589-$599. They wanted $659.
    " That your best price"?
    "yes"
    "put it back in the case"

Not going back in. I saw a number of professional browsers in there that just wanted to handle guns and knew everything about them. Almost took a used Ruger Target heavy barrel 22lr for $299. Looked barely used but no mags. Gunshop warrior looking at it remarked on it and then expounded on the the mags, accuracy etc. I almost said "I've got 4 mags for that so hand it over, xxxxxx" but I have one already that is a tack driver. The comment from that guy that really set me off was "I might be the only guy that knows how to take that down". Stand aside Waldo, I got this.....but I let it slide.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Saw a SW M&P 4in 10mm I've been thinking of at that gunshop. Ky Gun and several other places right about $589-$599. They wanted $659.
    " That your best price"?
    "yes"

Not going back in. I saw a number of professional browsers in there that just wanted to handle guns and knew everything about them. Almost took a used Ruger Target heavy barrel 22lr for $299. Looked barely used but no mags. Gunshop warrior looking at it remarked on it and then expounded on the the mags, accuracy etc. I almost said "I've got 4 mags for that so hand it over, xxxxxx" but I have one already that is a tack driver. The comment from that guy that really set me off was "I might be the only guy that knows how to take that down". Stand aside Waldo, I got this.....but I let it slide.
    Things like this are the second biggest reason I buy online. The first being I don't have to drive all over the place trying to find what I want and have multiple conversations with 'experts' like this.

Glad I stocked up back in the early 2000’s.

Moderator Emeritus

" That your best price"?
    "yes"

I have a few different guns I have been waiting on. My LGS gives me a price (approx) and we wait till one comes in. I am in no hurry as my immediate needs are taken care of. Have waited over a year already but I won't pay those ridiculous prices. They come in great, if not, oh well.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Local gun show today had primers, a bunch of them! One guy, $12 a hundred for Federal LP, I left them lay.He also had oolllddd powder cans, for $50 to $60 a pound! ( old. Bullseye, for $60:a pound? Bite me.). My old shooting buddy, getting out of the business, $85 a thousand for WLP. And also,small rifle for $85. If I wasn’t flush for primers, I would have picked up 5k of large pistol, but.......... Hopefully it’ll start coming available again, powder I mean, but the cheap days are gone, I’m afraid! Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

My guess is that is that those are the prices they arrived at that lets them sell, but the first guy in the door doesn’t buy them all. Yes, supply may come back a bit someday and prices may drop a bit. But they aren’t coming back to 2015 any time soon.

But take heart! If you live long enough, you can be bragging on whatever replaces these forums about how you got to buy at only $400 a thousand back in 2022.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

It is the "new normal", get used to it, not going to change anytime soon.
    Elections "DO" have consequences.

Boolit Master

I see a lot of complaining about prices and comments like “I won’t be back” etc. What you need to realize is that doesn’t matter —— SOMEONE is paying those prices or they wouldn’t stay that high, as long as idio….I mean people, keep paying these prices they are not about to go down.

It’s like the Ruger made Marlin SBL I’ve had on order with LGS who is happy to sell it to me for MSRP but it’s a 9 month wait now. On the other hand, if I wanted one bad enough they are all over Gunbroker for $2K when MSRP is $1399……I’ll never get one unless the morons quit paying that much for them…….and they keep right on paying.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

They aren’t morons. They are people with a spare $2,000 that like shooting more than keeping the cash.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

" That your best price"?
    "yes"

Why go to a gun shop that over prices everything? I haven't been in one in years. The last three guns I have bought was at Academy Sports. Prices cheaper than any gun shop around here.

Some say if you buy from a gun shop and something goes wrong the gunsmith can fix it. I have bad news for any gun people around here. None of the gun shops in San Antonio have gunsmiths as of this writing except one. Only Dury's has a gunsmith. The way they are NOW working is that you pay to have them fix your gun THEN claim against the gun company. Just ask my BinL how well that works.

ACC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast