RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    What do you mean by expectations? You mean like cash back, or bonus flying miles, or free long distance minutes or sumthin like that?
    Dang !!! I didnt know I was sposed ta have expectations, I thought I was just havin fun! Now ya went and ruined it for me
    I started huntin and shootin cuz thats the way I was brought up. I wanted to shoot more cuz its fun. I started loading so I could have more fun for the $ then started casting for the same reason. I started sellin boolits to get the money for the stuff I couldnt make, primers, brass, and powder.
    What I expect is the same level of fun no matter what collor the booilt/bullet is. There is no reason to accept or expect a lower level of accuracy from any gun because it its shooting a boolit and not a bullet.
    The loads will likely be different but the material the projectile is made from is not what determans how accurate a fire arm will be.
    If I were to have an expectation it would be that I can expect to have to PUT IN MY TIME with any gun in load development, and tuning of the arm and ammo to include casting perfection to achieve an acceptable level of performance to satisfy my needs with that particular arm.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    I waited to see what would shake out when this finally died. I was surprised to see that everyone thought I was talking about bullets and shooting. Nobody even mentioned their expectations for this board or the catagories.

There is definately a long term trend for casting to be cheap. Cheap to shoot more or just cheap all together. That was the nature of things 50, 40, 30 years ago and it remains so today. So I doubt that will ever change.

What is encouraging is to read and see the willingness of folks to consider and use cast for hunting. Especially amongst those that are quiet for other posting. I wonder how much credit for that can go to the board / site?

While not a lot of people mentioned long range or competitions, I never really exected them too. Competition is something that is not really advanced by this group. And the people that do tend to be secretive about what they find that works for them. Nature of the beast. And .... there are other places for that too.

But I see people continuously helping people. Why even professional casters helping the competition. Not sure that would happen too many other places.

I want to use this opportunity to thank those that dedicate their time and put forth an effort here every day so that what ever floats your boat, can. Whether that be moderators or anything else that we take for granted. Thanks guys for an opportunity to advance what I find interesting in this world. Much appreciated.

On Heaven's Range

These last two posts from Bullshop and Bass have nailed it down for me.

Further words from me would be a waste of space.

VERY well said, gentlemen!!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    While not a lot of people mentioned long range or competitions, I never really exected them too. Competition is something that is not really advanced by this group. And the people that do tend to be secretive about what they find that works for them. Nature of the beast. And .... there are other places for that too.
    Bass Ackward, I agree with most of what you said except this paragraph. 200 meter handgun silhouette is the majority of my shooting and I "only" shoot cast and have done so with championship winning master class scores at times. I pass on any and all casting info that I can to anyone that will listen. NO secrets here, better competition will only serve to make me work harder at it and learn more.

Oh, one more thing. Saving money? I have yet to cast a bullet to save money. I could shoot condom bullets for the next few years for what I have invested in casting equipment. I cast to make it with my own two hands and make it work.

My expectations? No wussy cast bullet loads in my long range handguns and some of my rifles. If it won't shoot condom load data or better I did something wrong and its time to start over from scratch and make it shoot. I expect the accuracy, momentum and velocity that I loaded the round to do.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123