RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout

Boolit Master
    you keep this up, I am going to get a 1:9 twist barrel and hunt Elk at 400yds with it this fall.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Well, ......While I hate to interrupt this “deer camp debate”, I have a question that relates to actually forming and loading this round.

Does anyone make a .309” or .310” CARBIDE expander plug that would replace the stock item in a set of Hornady dies?? …..When forming cases, I’d like to do away with all (or most) of the lube I have to apply to the inside of the neck.

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee 155gr AK mold and it works pretty well, but if your like me and want to keep the check and lube grooves in the neck of the BLK then your going to have some issues with the ribs in the mags.

As far as the molds we have available to us in the subsonic category, they all suffer from the same problem as well. Either the lube groove area won't sit in the neck of the BLK, or your going to have issues with the ribs in the mags, and more than likely your going to have both problems.

I personally would like to see a lighter say 120-130 gr mold that would fit the BLK case and have no issues with the mags. Of course we would have to do the same for the mid weights say, 150-170gr and the subs, 200gr and over. I really think a mold with a groove cut, or a radical nose shape, where the rib in the mag strikes the bullet nose, would be the cats meow. The diameter of the groove would need to be the same diameter as a .223's neck, cause that's what the rib in the mag was made for. I wish I knew how to do the fancy cad drawings I see on here so much, LOL, then I could show you guys what I'm talking about.

great info guys i read till my eyes where sore whats your thoughts on the 300 cast boolit in the 7.62x39
    Last edited by leadloader; 09-01-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    crabo, yes , that is the one I was speaking of.

The Saeco copy, I have only shot a few of those, but it does show promise, but it won't always feed.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 32 sixgun sledgehammer would feed, but being so short, and the overall length of the round is shorter, it just might feed.

I have a SWC of about the same length. Might try it and see if it will feed. If the gun feeds the SWC, it should do the sledgehammer

[QUOTE=rockrat;1831617]crabo, yes , that is the one I was speaking of.

/QUOTE]

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130593

This is scheduled to run in October. I think I need to get on the bandwagon.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone tried the RCBS 130 SPL bullet with the BLK?

Boolit Grand Master
    I might have some of the RCBS cast up somewhere. Need to try them. Bad thing is, its only a 2 cav. and tough to cast enough boolits to feed a blackout

Boolit Master
    Crabo,

I think everyone who has posted on this thread is already on that list! Stop slapping the snooze alarm! Just kidding!!

Do get a 4 or 5 cavity mold though.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Boolit Master
    I personally am very impatiantly waiting for this one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129160

Great thread, and a lot of good info, Robert. Deer don't die "well" with well-placed shots from the .300 BLK class of weapons beyond 200 yards. Doesn't matter if its heavy subs, fast 110s, jacketed or cast. Recovery of game isn't the same as a mortal wound. This is based on more than theory, ballsitic tables and opinion... but a lot of years shooting 300 Whisper, several guys doing animal damage control and biological sample collecting with this cartridge, etc. Yes, you can hit them at 300, but 200-210 yards is MY maximum distance on whitetails.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone got any load data for Noe's 247 gr for subsonic. I am having problems finding the right amount of A1680 to get in slow enough and cycle my ar, seems like the shorter I make the OAL the faster it goes. I have tried crimped and noncrimped. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help guys, I am new to this forum and to casting. I have found loads of good info here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Go to the Accurate powder website. There is a page of 300 blackout data there that you will find useful

apples to oranges to (insert your favourite fruit here)

this has been an interesting thread, but seems to have come to an impasse

some things I noticed:
    35rem makes a lot of comments that appear to add credence to his arguments, but are only a debater's way of sounding more expert. phrases like: it is common knowledge, everyone knows, etc

remember, at one time, EVERYONE knew the earth was flat, the sun revolved around the earth, and AGW was real!

Now that light has been shed on it, the TRUTH is they were all opinions, and all INCORRECT!

also, comments like "Nobody I've seen lately promotes the .357 as a good deer cartridge to 100 yards in a revolver" makes me wonder what forums/magazines/clubs he frequents! many many shooters say the 357 is totally adequate to over 100 yds out of a revolver, and shooters like Weishuhn (sp?) use heavier calibers at much farther ranges...

then to further reinforce the argument, posts this: "Setting up where you know 300 yards shots are probable...."

again.... apples?? no one is saying that if the 300 yds shot is probable..... only possible.

I say to each their own. I peruse a forum where there is a thread about 800yds "Hunting" and some shooters are using 150gr in a 30-06.... Deer die. I won't get into the ethics, or wounding etc... but the fact remains, deer die at that distance.

the numbers given for the 300AAC are dead deer at 300 yds.

I would hazard a guess that most shooters, if armed with a scoped 30-30, and a rangefinder, who had a very good idea what the trajectory was of their round, WOULD indeed "Lob" one at a trophy buck at 350-400 yds..... and if they hit it.... dead deer.

ME is misleading, and often not relevant. Momentum is a sometimes better comparison. a heavier bullet/boolit will kill better at longer range that what ME would lead one to believe.
    a 45/70 will kill a deer at almost 2 miles with complete penetration.... the ME and Vel would be very low.

Now, I think we can all agree, that if we PLAN on taking longer shots, a better choice is out there.
    But, if hunting in a 150 yd area, and a 300yd shot presents itself, it would be acceptable to use the 300AAC, if you know your ammo.

to say the expansion is not adequate, when looking at the pics is not correct. Bullets do NOT keep expanding FATTER... the petals peel back or break off. From what I saw of the black tipped stuff designed for the 300AAC, I think I would love some of those to try in my 30-30.

I don't recall reading the TSX's to mushroom much more than those. And I have read many opinions where a 45cal doesn't need to expand at all! then we have the Round Ball.....

are there better guns for the purpose? Yes

are there worse guns for the purpose that still get used? Yes

will a 300AAC kill deer at 300yds? My opinion is Yes, it will and I expect this deer season to bear that out.

Ethics don't come into it, as Yours are different than mine, which are different than Rich's.

Make your own call

one other thing... How about a cast softnose?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    I confess I have not read much of this thread, but wanted to ask a question. I would like a .300 Blackout barrel for a T/C Encore Pro-Hunter rifle, mostly for short range plinking, cheap brass, hopefully good with cast bullets, etc.,. Would anyone have an opinion as to what barrel length and twist would work well? I am thinking maybe 22" or so? I would like to get one threaded. I just noticed a 230 grain Lee tumble lube mold made specifically for the .300 Blackout, any thought on that? I checked Bullberry, they don't appear to offer one, although maybe they would make a custom barrel, hence my questions. Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    So, I found an Encore barrel (Bargera) for the .300 AAC Blackout at Sportsmans Guide for $ 249.00. Trouble is, it is a 16 1/2 inch threaded barrel. I think the barrel is long enough to be legal on a rifle, but I also think there is an overall length requirement for rifles as well. As Encore's tend to be somewhat compact in design, does anyone know what that overall length requirement is? How does a 1:8" twist rate sound to you guys? Regards.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Bub
    I believe its just the barrel length and not the rifle itself. Go with the 1:8 twist... it will shoot 110's all the way to big heavy 247's

Boolit Mold
    Anyone tried the RCBS 130 SPL bullet with the BLK?
    Same thing I was wondering

Boolit Master
    Thanks, wwboolitmaker.

exile

Boolit Mold
    9.5 gr of Lil gun and midway/lee 230gr mould subsonic.. i had lee 200 gr with GC running and shooting great with 14.5 gr of AA1680 1-8 twist 16 inch ER shaw barrel