MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Mold for Marlin 1894 CB 32 H&R

Boolit Buddy

Mold for Marlin 1894 CB 32 H&R

I am looking for advice on molds that will function through the action of a Marlin 1894 CB in 32 H&R Magnum. I currently own an MP 315-640 which cast HP bullets at 118gr and solids at 123gr. I would like a mold in the 95-100gr range. I also own and load for a Ruger Single Six Bisley in 32 H&R. Thank you for your input.

Alan

Boolit Master
    My main mold is the RCBS 98 gr. It runs well thru my Marlin 32. I have tried full wadcutter losda and they fed well. Surprised me.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master
    For plain based I will agree with the RCBS 32 98 SWC. If you want to push things velocity wise, one of the GC SWC might be better.

Robert

Boolit Master

Saeco 325, 322, Lyman 3118,419 and the RCBS SWC. All feed very well in my Marlin and .327 Henry. I've list them in my order of preference. I have the MP 640 style in 100 and 120, never felt the HP lent itself to any improvement from a terminal standpoint. The meplat on the 325 will fetch small game just fine
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

Thank you guys for the advice. I keep hearing the Saeco 325 mentioned in everything from light loads in the 32 S&W Long to stout loads in the 32 H&R in both rifle and revolver and even in 32 ACP loads. Sounds like one to have.

Boolit Master
    +1 for the Saeco 325. A few years ago I tested several of my mold patterns to see which ones would give me the tightest groups. Without exception the 325 was the tightest grouping boolit against all other molds I have (about 11 molds in this diameter and weight group). Maybe I was lucky when throwing these, but the results were always the same. As we used to say some years ago, "try it, you'll like it."

Boolit Grand Master
    Alan, you have a “problem”? This sounds like a humble brag to me, like “I’ve got a date with a Hollywood starlet and I can’t figure out which trendy LA restaurant I want to take her to.”

Now that I have that off my chest, there are a lot of 95-100 or even 105 grain bullets available for the 32 family of revolvers, so since you’ve already determined your Marlin feeds that ‘640 well, you can pretty safely assume that a lighter bullet with a similar nose profile work as well, just don’t seat it as deeply in the case so you can stay close to the same OAL. With the emerging community of 32 enthusiasts here, it is possible that you might find someone to spot you a few bullets whose pictures look promising to you. If you try them out and they live up to your expectations, then you can buy that mould.

Join us in the “32 Retinue” and help us help you.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

If you want maximum magnum level performance, best accuracy and velocity, especially out of the rifle then try (if you can find one) the Lyman 313631 [105 gr GC'd SWC designed expressly for the 32 H&R]. Perhaps Accurate or NOE can clone one?

If you want a plinking bullet for modest loads the RCBS mentioned is very good as is the Lee TL314-90-SWC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Good post, Larry. I wish you hadn’t mentioned that 313631 mould though… I want to find one of them myself, and now you’ve set a whole new wave of enthusiasts searching for one. More competition for the slow old amphibian!
    When I visited beagle, he showed me a two cavity 313631 that had had the GC shoulders milled from and had one cavity drilled to cast hollow points. On that same visit he introduced me to aluminum gas checks that were punched from soda cans and could be applied to plain base bullets if one had the desire for gas checks. If ever there was a perfect mould for the 32 H&R, that was it.
    Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy

Thank you Larry. I see that Arsenal Molds offers a clone of the Lyman 313631.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    Thank you Larry. I see that Arsenal Molds offers a clone of the Lyman 313631.
    That would be an excellent, if not the best, choice for top end velocity and accuracy in the Marlin.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Tom at Accurate does have a clone of the 313631, 312105L in gas check or plain base. I had forgotten I had this one...... Too many molds I guess. Mr. Gibson is correct, this one is a dandy.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, I just looked at the plethora of variants Accurate Moulds offers of just that "105" design. These are the "Good Old Days" for getting your choice of mould made.

Boolit Master

I requested that mold (105L) and two other styles about ten years ago after I gave up looking for a Lyman 631. It took Tom almost two hours to email me back with the drawings and any modifications I would like to change to the respective bullets. In two weeks I had them in my hand. Every mold I've gotten from Accurate is superb.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    I’m envious of the Marlin 32 H&R, nice snag. I passed one up for $750 back in ‘06-07, the guy had 2 and I though he was crazy high lol. I should have grabbed them both…

+1 on Accurate. They are excellent molds, fast becoming my favorites.
    Though heavier than you’re looking at, I had Tom build the 31-115s for my tight throated Marlin. It is proving to be excellent in my Navy/Uberti SAA & Marlin 32-20. Also in my 32 H&R Ruger single-6s and sp101.

The Arsenal 313631 looks promising, I may have to give it a try as well…
    So does his 98gr Keith and 100gr TC - PC bullet…

Some other excellent choices, though most I have are heavier than you’re looking for.
    - NOE 315-118swc Keith
    - Arsenal 311008 (mines is .314 124gr) mine is 3plain 2 GC’d
    - Arsenal Ranch Dogg clone 313-115r (I have both plain and GC’d version)
    - Lee 311-93-1r (mine drops .313 & 96gr)
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the recommendations.