MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas check makers

Boolit Master
    That is what I was running into with that check maker I ordered. Man, what a mess. I have sent it back and the dude said he was going to weld the forming pin in. From what you guys are saying if the checks continue to stick on the forming pin it will be impossible to get them off. I got a feeling my money has been wasted.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Back in November, there is a fella on the "Book of Faces" that started selling GC makers for $60 each. They are designed with threads for reloading presses and can make a GC in a single stroke like the FreeChex. Now he did have a price increase on Jan 1st...I don't know his new price? I think you gotta call for that. I'm not sure how he makes any money???? at $60 ...but what's worse is when the check maker die doesn't make the appropriate size GC, or maybe makes one that's too tall...Then making it right, or making a different check maker die...that really eats into the profit.

There is at least one member here who has bought one, and had a issue, but the fella did make it right, by making another die.
    $80 is the current price. Been pleased with mine. Maybe when I have some more Money, I'll get one of these others you're referring to so I can test all 3 styles

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    That is what I was running into with that check maker I ordered. Man, what a mess. I have sent it back and the dude said he was going to weld the forming pin in. From what you guys are saying if the checks continue to stick on the forming pin it will be impossible to get them off. I got a feeling my money has been wasted.
    Yes, welding the pin down makes no sense. If you're trying to use normal size Amerimax it will stick. I use .005 - .008 for .22, anything thicker and it distorts bullet and gas check. I found that on 22 bullets the soft gas checks actually distort easily, maybe my bullets are too hard. The semi-hard brass/copper that I got sample of actually worked great, the gas check was not distorted where a soft aluminum I've tried in same thickness when pushed through Lee die created this fin this is why I use .005" only that way it's not too thick and doesn't distort. I'll reply to your PM in a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 cal gas check on Lee 55gr.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	277653

Boolit Master
    Those are some pretty gas checks! Good job

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Since I only cast for 22,25,26,27,28,30,31,32,35,and both 45 cal I'm pretty easy on a size . 32/8mm would be my lowest priority and 28/7mm my highest at the moment , I could fall into 257 & 6.5 at any moment and 6.5 is going to be a hassle as I have a new tight .264 and a slopped out Japanese that needs .272 so I'm back to 270 or 7mm .
    I would prefer a single stroke for a regular press and I have an up stroke press that has a space I can mount it upside down or upside up . If it makes me work very hard I'll stick it in Pacific/Hornady 008 , RCII or Big Max but I'd rather run it in a C type like a Spartan or Pacific super .

Time lines .........um ......I learned paper patched to avoid gas checks I have a couple K of most that I use and I don't foresee me hot rodding enough of those 500 gr 45s in an 1895 G to run out of the 500 on hand and those are probably just going to be sub sonic sledge hammer types .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    I have no issue with the .014 and my home made check maker. This is what I use.

US version is called Amerimax
    What he said ^^^

I have several thicknesses as some check shanks are bigger than others. I made up baggies marked with the different thickness written on the bag. I joined Cast Boolits because a net search brought me here because of PatMarlins. I think I have 5 checkmaker dies, 22/30/35 and plain base check makers for 35 and 45. I PC everything now so PB checks are obsolete for me, 22 and 30 are about all I have used the most of. Haven't made checks in 5 years, made a huge stockpile back when.

As far as PB checks, energy drink cans are a bit thicker, aluminum bottles are thicker still. I stopped drinking sometime ago, and even quit soda so no cans for me unless my brother's grand son buys a Monster. I have a coffee can full of flattened cans and use a Harbor Freight paper cutter for my PB and Amerimax strips. BTW, the Amerimax works better if annealed. I cut enough strips for 100 or so, clamp all of them in vise grips at the same time, and immerse into the lead pot for 15 to 20 seconds. Done, lead doesn't stick very well, just wipes off with my gloved hand.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    It's been twelve days and still no gas check maker. When I sent it back I was told that the day he got it it would be fixed and headed back to me. This guy has no honor. I don't care if it comes back and it works. This is ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Back in November, there is a fella on the "Book of Faces" that started selling GC makers for $60 each. They are designed with threads for reloading presses and can make a GC in a single stroke like the FreeChex. Now he did have a price increase on Jan 1st...I don't know his new price? I think you gotta call for that. I'm not sure how he makes any money???? at $60 ...but what's worse is when the check maker die doesn't make the appropriate size GC, or maybe makes one that's too tall...Then making it right, or making a different check maker die...that really eats into the profit.

There is at least one member here who has bought one, and had a issue, but the fella did make it right, by making another die.

Making GC makers isn't the hard part, heat treating them so they last without out deforming/warping is

Boolit Master
    I had him heat treat mine or I guess he did. I could see where the forming pin could warp. Do you know how hot they get them?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    It's been twelve days and still no gas check maker. When I sent it back I was told that the day he got it it would be fixed and headed back to me. This guy has no honor. I don't care if it comes back and it works. This is ridiculous.
    Is it perhaps simply due to the winter chaos slowing down the mail? I sent someone here some .44 gas-checks on the 9th Feb and they're STILL in Texas, according to the tracking #
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I suppose it is possible. He received the gas check maker on Feb. 8th. Time will tell.

Banned
    i kind sat back , let the thread unfold and learned a few things in the process .
    i dont think ill rush my lathe purchase i think in the long run ill be better of sticking with my original plans and not rushing things

Boolit Master
    That is a good idea.

Boolit Master
    Okay, almost been one month since I sent the gas check maker back. Have received no word on the status. I sent e-mail today and if the pattern holds true I will get a return e-mail saying my check maker is ready to ship. Then it will be another week before it ships with no notice of shipping. I have been more than patient on this deal. This time I will ask for my money back. I don't care if it is ready or not. With this kind of customer service the workmanship can't be that great. This guy needs to get out of the gas check maker business. I hear some people praise him and his work and some have come to depise him. Too hit and miss for me.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear that, mate - I was hoping to hear a happy/fast resolution but that sucks
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Thanks! You win some and you lose some.

Boolit Master
    Well, I got a call from the dude's wife. She said they had sent me a gas check maker on 2/12/21 but they sent no tracking number. She started crying and promised they would get another out tomorrow. What can I say I guess I am a sucker. Woman can turn tears off and on like a water faucet. I insisted that I be given a tracking number so we will see. I guess it is possible that the thing could have gotten lost or stolen with all the bad weather. Man, what a ride.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

In fact I figured the thick material was probably a bit much for a loading press mounted check maker so chose to make the Ed Smith version and use a mallet to punch checks. An arbor press would be better but this works for me.

Longbow
    I just found this today:

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...tage-shootout/

Here is a pic from the article,notice the different handle force needed for the same task in question:

My old CH 205 for example can not cut copper with the two part Freechecks-style tool unless I use all my body weight. Then when I lean on it, bolts start to break.

To the OP: things like this are what will get you lots of emails and calls. These are very simple tools but people will have problems with the learning curve. I sure did.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I just found this today:

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...tage-shootout/

Here is a pic from the article,notice the different handle force needed for the same task in question:

My old CH 205 for example can not cut copper with the two part Freechecks-style tool unless I use all my body weight. Then when I lean on it, bolts start to break.

To the OP: things like this are what will get you lots of emails and calls. These are very simple tools but people will have problems with the learning curve. I sure did.
    I know exactly what you're describing - bench jumping with each cut lol. I'll explain how to minimize this in a bit.

I didn't know Gavin had this chart, that's pretty cool. Too bad he doesn't have the cheapest Lee press on this list. You know the press that used to cost $20 few years back and than it slowly rose to $40. This is what I use and believe it or not but it has incredible leverage towards the end of the stroke. Its a shame its made out of aluminum and I wore out 2 of them mostly by punching gas checks and sizing some bullets. If you screw the die out so you're punching towards the end of the stroke it becomes 2-3 times easier! Believe me I have Redding Big Boss II and it's not any easier to punch on that press (its harder), in fact I use it to derim 22LR brass and I machined myself 2 foot handle to increase leverage.

Second biggest thing I did to improve my dies is have a taper in the punch, in fact I made them razor sharp and it greatly improves the ease of cutting gas checks, than I ran in to problem, I was getting uneven gas checks and took me many hours and probably 1 year to figure out! So much frustration and stress! I would just remachine the part hopping to get tighter tolerances and than one day I took a honing stone and flattened the razor sharp edge a bit and TADA started getting even gas checks, so now I don't make them razor sharp but still they are sharp.

And 3rd - I made 50 BMG gas check for someone, it requires something like .025" sheet. The thickest I found was licence plate that once you remove the rubbery coat which comes off rather easy its about .019" thick and it was so incredibly hard to punch it!!! After a while I made a conclusion, I am not making anymore dies with anything thicker than .016" and larger than 44 mag. I haven't tried but I believe an arbor press is better suited for task like that. I realize people don't want to invest in arbor press but wearing out your expensive press is more expensive in the long run.

And lastly I want to say I machined at least 100 dies and never heard from customers regarding this issue so my guess the taper I put in the punch really does work but again my recommendation - get the Lee cheapest press )) Another great part its C type with easy access in the front.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    I know exactly what you're describing - bench jumping with each cut lol. I'll explain how to minimize this....

....And lastly I want to say I machined at least 100 dies and never heard from customers regarding this issue so my guess the taper I put in the punch really does work but again my recommendation - get the Lee cheapest press )) Another great part its C type with easy access in the front.
    Hey thanks for this - which Lee press exactly? Lee hand press seems to work with aluminum... I already bought a Big Boss ll to replace my CH. No difference but colour. Aluminum cuts ok.

My right hand palm still hurts after "slapping" 20 checks with a Rock Chucker , six hours ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast